- File Size: 716 KB
- Print Length: 285 pages
- Simultaneous Device Usage: Unlimited
- Publisher: Apex Publications (December 1, 2009)
- Publication Date: December 1, 2009
- Sold by: Amazon Digital Services LLC
- Language: English
- ASIN: B0032FNZ9S
- Text-to-Speech: Enabled
- Word Wise: Not Enabled
- Lending: Enabled
- Amazon Best Sellers Rank: #907,031 Paid in Kindle Store (See Top 100 Paid in Kindle Store)
|Print List Price:||$15.95|
Save $10.96 (69%)
The Book of Apex: Volume 1 of Apex Magazine Kindle Edition
|New from||Used from|
|Length: 285 pages||Enhanced Typesetting: Enabled||
Matchbook Price: $0.00
For thousands of qualifying books, your past, present, and future print-edition purchases now lets you buy the Kindle edition for $2.99 or less. (Textbooks available for $9.99 or less.)
To get the free app, enter your email address or mobile phone number.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
More About the AuthorsDiscover books, learn about writers, read author blogs, and more.
Top Customer Reviews
SF short stories are super-condensed concoctions of pure imagination waiting to explode and inundate their reader with new ideas, settings, characters, and emotions. They will jump start your creativity and tickle your curiosity. Warning: daydream frequency and intensity may increase!
Why short story magazines?
The open submissions, regular publishing schedules, and familiar brand name all work to attract a wide variety of writers--which means a larger diversity of ideas and concepts for the readers. Writers can spend less time hunting down invitations for submissions and more time writing--which means better stories for all of us.
* Wide sub-genre variety of science fiction, fantasy, and light horror stories leaning towards the twisted, strange, beautiful, surreal
* Publishing since 2006
* Three Hugo semiprozine nominations
* Multiple Hugo short story award winners and nominations
Where to start?
1) Subscribe. Apex Magazine. Via Amazon Newsstand you can get an issue for free, no obligation to continue subscription, cancel any time, and then a subscription (discount off cover price) starts after 30 days. Absolutely nothing to lose!
2) Collections. Like this one. Much cheaper than single issues, you can also buy many back issues in a convenient collections.
3) Single issues. Finally, bridge the gap between the bundles and your magazine subscription and grab the last few issues you are missing. They are all available on Amazon.
In summary: Great magazine, I'm always excited for each new issue
My favorite pieces were "Blakenjel" and "The Puma." "Blakenjel" reminded me of a dystopian, cyberpunk Lovecraft tale; "The Puma" was an excellent semi-sequel to "The Island of Doctor Moreau."
My only major complaint, and the reason I'm giving this four stars instead of five, is that two of the last stories - "The Mind of a Pig" and "Hindsight in Neon" - were extremely weakly written and nowhere close to the skill-level or imagination of the other pieces in the book.
"The Mind of a Pig" is actually an interesting idea, though one that's been done before in various permutations, but it almost read like the writer wasn't a native English speaker. The editor should have either assisted in cleaning it up or asked the writer for someone else's assistance in doing so. The prose was extremely awkward, with simplistic and repetitive descriptions and there is not one line of dialogue that sounds natural.
"Hindsight in Neon" was neither an interesting idea nor well-written. I almost didn't finish reading it, but I'm a "cover-to-cover" kind of reader.
These two stories may have appeared in individual issues of Apex Magazine, but they should have been excised from, rather than included, in the collection.
Overall, however, a collection worth your time.
What Other Items Do Customers Buy After Viewing This Item?
Look for Similar Items by Category
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Genre Fiction > Horror
- Books > Literature & Fiction > Short Stories & Anthologies > Short Stories
- Books > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thrillers & Suspense > Technothrillers
- Books > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Horror > Short Stories
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Literature & Fiction > Short Stories > Single Authors
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Mystery, Thriller & Suspense > Thrillers > Technothrillers
- Kindle Store > Kindle eBooks > Science Fiction & Fantasy > Science Fiction