Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now SnS

Format: Paperback|Change

on March 6, 2004
Being a huge "Talent Family" fan, I was excited to see that they had joined forces and written a play. I can understand that if you are used to reading David's books, this might be a different read for some individuals. I was asked by a local theatre producer to search for some new material for possible productions for a season, so that's why I checked it out. I found it hysterical--of course, I was looking at it from a staging point of view. The fact that it is only 50 (+/-) pages makes it "perfect" for a short play--meaning it would run right around an hour to an hour and a half. I guess if you read plays on a regular basis, you will find it enjoyable like I did. If you're used to reading novels or short stories (especially the ones that David is famous for), and play reading isn't your cup or tea, it might not be as entertaining to you. But, you could do much, much worse for your money. I rate it highly.
0Comment|120 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon November 10, 2002
As with some of the other reviewers here, I pre-ordered "The Book of Liz" long before its publication, and I was somewhat surprised to see how short it is (although at that price, I shouldn't have been surprised). However, after reading the play I was ultimately satisfied with my purchase. "The Book of Liz" chronicles a very sweaty and naive Squeamish Sister (an obvious play on the Amish) who decides to leave her job making cheeseballs and venture out into the real world. No, I'm not kidding! The plot is as bizarre as you'd expect from the Sedaris siblings.

It should be noted that the play lists Amy Sedaris as the first author, and it definitely reflects her humor more than David's humor. It's kind of a tame variation of her show, "Strangers With Candy." "The Book of Liz" is different and fun, and it gave me a few chuckles. Not bad for such a short and inexpensive tome.
0Comment|128 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 16, 2003
I also saw this play performed and thought it was the funniest live theater I've ever seen. Though I agree that when reading a play you lose a lot (the energy of the performers and the audience reactions) I still think this one is worth having in your collection if you are a fan of either Sedaris.
on February 1, 2006
It seems rather odd that several of the below reviewers are not familiar with acting editions of plays---or, for that matter, with stage plays in general. The "Dramatists Play Service" on the front cover certainly tells us that that is what this is! Not a pamphlet! Not a short story! While reading it,you should try to envision it being performed by actors on a stage, live, in front of an audience (if some of you know what that means...) And, as such, it is really quite entertaining. I don't see it as more than that, but, then again, neither was "Strangers with Candy"
VINE VOICEon September 4, 2002
Sister Elizabeth Donderdock is unappreciated in her Squeamish township. (So as not to offend the Amish, the Sedarises replaced the "A" with "Squea". I'm sure no one suspects.) She is the only person who has the secret touch it takes to make the famous Squeamish cheese balls, but the town doesn't realize how important she is until she disappears. Although not David's best work, this play is a lot of fun to read and features a lot of good-natured silliness. On the otherhand, it appears difficult to stage. Make sure you have four good actors who can play male and female roles, Amish as well as alcoholic and can speak Ukranian.
on July 28, 2015
I read this book in the space of a night, after it had sat on my bedside table for about a year.

It was a gift for my wife, who is a big Sedaris fan. Amy Sedaris.

Which is good, since this has more her feel than her brother, like that one book about the town, or Strangers With Candy. Overall, it isn’t very strong plot-wise. It feels like one big delayed joke.

But it is funny, I did laugh. If I could find it, I might give some examples. I think I might have thrown it out, since I’ve been looking for it for several days.
on February 28, 2012
I purchased this play after reading my first David Sedaris book. I found him to be very funny and I have always loved his sister Amy (mostly for her outrageously funny work on Strangers with Candy). I didn't know what to expect, but figured I could spare $6 and I like plays.

This play was very good, quite funny at some points. It is by no means hysterical, but it has a good story, good dialogue and characters, and some funny jokes. The ending is pretty not-that-exciting, but overall it's kind of what you'd expect for a quick one-act. Nothing excessively moving, life-changing, or hilarious, but something sweet and simple.

Overall it's pretty good. I thought I'd review to give one extra start to balance out for the morons who don't understand what a play is. "One short story" from this Acting Edition of the play published by Dramatists Play Service, Inc. I understand it's middle-aged stay-at-home moms who read David Sedaris, but come on.
on May 30, 2015
Worst play I've seen in ages! It's like a bad SNL skit that doesn't know when to end. It's 99% not funny. The 1% that's clever, original, and heartwarming could easily be turned into a 30-minute one-woman show with only the Liz character.
on September 3, 2007
How could other people find this reading too short. IT'S A PLAY. What's more, It's Amy AND David Sedaris. In other words, funny funny funny-you can't go wrong with those two.
on December 16, 2008
I totally love both Amy and David Sedaris, but I have to say this was very disappointing, I'm not even sure why they published this. It seems like it would be the kind of thing you would put together just for family members who were there, get it and love whatever you do because you are family. I would caution anyone else from purchasing this.