4.0 out of 5 stars Book of Man
It is out concern for the trouble that man is in today - that William Bennett has offered this text. The author uses stories & essays of both historical & contemporary figures to help aid in shaping boys to become men. Heroism is lacking in contemporary venues of entertainment & literature. This book is broken down into 6 sections...

Including:

Man...
Published on September 19, 2011 by Book Reviewer

3.0 out of 5 stars Book of Man.
Published on October 11, 2011 by Erik Timmons

Man in Play, Competition, and Leisure
Man in the Polis
Man wth Woman and Children
Man in Prayer and Reflection

The text is portioned to be read & pondered daily. It is this reviewers opinion that Bennett has brought forth a tool worth owning & using to train, shape & grow boys into men. The author hits the nail on the head in many of the available essays.

Disclosure of Material Connection: I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own.

5.0 out of 5 stars Stories Worth Knowing, September 29, 2011
Dr. William J. Bennett's Book of Virtues is a favorite in our house. At dinner time, bath time, or bed time, the children ask me to read a story or poem from "the big book," as they call it. And I'm always willing to; Bennett's Book of Virtues has as much to offer the parents as it does the children.

I expected the Book of Man to be like the Book of Virtues, only for little boys. But the readings are more for older boys or men. Still, the subtitle, "Readings on the Path to Manhood," is appropriate. After all, what man doesn't continue on the path to manhood?

Bennett asks:

"What does it mean to be a man today?...While the plot, actors, and scenes are constantly changing, the virtues, characteristics, and challenges of manhood remain the same today as thousands of years ago."

On how to be a man, Bennett says, "More can and should be said. That is what I offer here. There are examples worthy of emulation, stories worth knowing, lives worth studying and remembering, and counsel worth hearing..."

Bennett's quotes span the time from Pericles to Colin Powell, while the characters range from Robert Murray M'Cheyne to Jimmy Carter.

Stories about men like Theodore Roosevelt or Martin Luther King Jr. are always inspiring, and Bennett gives us plenty. But equally inspiring are the stories of men like Terry Toussaint, Fort Valley, Georgia's "proud sanitation worker." Toussaint was inspired by Martin Luther King's speech to a crowd of street sweepers in Memphis, TN:

"If it falls your lot to be a street sweeper, sweep streets like Michelangelo painted pictures....sweep streets so well that all the host of heaven and earth will have to pause and say, `Here lived a great street sweeper...'"

"For Toussaint, it's all part of the day's job. At fifty years old, he starts every day at 4:45 A.M. and never misses a day of work." "I'll always be the best that I can be at [whatever job I have]," says Toussaint.

Bennett examines manhood in every arena: Man in War; Man at Work; Man in Play, Sports, and Leisure; Man in the Polis (community); Man with Woman and Children (this section alone is worth the price of the book); and Man in Prayer and Reflection.

Not all of the selections are inspiring, nor do they all represent the best in man: "Marines are a different breed; we're made to go after people. If you're not killing someone or being killed, you're not happy." But, as Bennett says, there is something to be learned from each of them.

While my little boy isn't ready for this book, I look forward to our reading it together when he's older. I hope these selections will benefit, encourage, and inspire him as they do me. In the meantime, I'll continue to use this excellent book to help me down my own path to manhood.

I received a complimentary copy of this book from Thomas Nelson.

5.0 out of 5 stars I enjoyed it, October 3, 2011
Before going into a review of William J Bennett's The Book of Man, I must first comment on how beautifully printed it is. The hardcover version is printed with an elegant looking binding, and pages that take on an aged and more authentic look and feel to the type of book this is.

I wasn't really sure what I was getting myself into when I first decided to read this book; I can't even honestly say that I thought I was going to enjoy it. I figured to would be some sort of self help book for men, and that I wouldn't remember much after reading it.

Boy, was I wrong.

The messages in this book really cause you to stop and take a good look at your life. Are you where you are meant to be? Are you doing the right thing? Are you on the best track for you? It is difficult for me to really say why I enjoyed this so much, other than that I did. I would recommend this to anybody who wants to evaluate their own life, and get a better look at the impact they are having on this world. What an amazing read.

*I received this book free from Thomas Nelson Publishers as part of their BookSneeze.com book review bloggers program. I was not required to write a positive review. The opinions I have expressed are my own. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission's 16 CFR, Part 255.

4.0 out of 5 stars Gives a Vision and Stories of How to be a Virtuous Man, October 2, 2011
Fr. Charles Erlandson (Tyler, Texas United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
A lot of us have figured out that there is a lack of male leadership in our culture these days. It's easy to lament this fact but more difficult to do something about it. William Bennett, the compiler of the excellent Book of Virtues, has done something about the need for real men in our culture. He's compiled a book, The Book of Man, that offers a great selection of short writings that act as a model for virtuous manhood.

I've been talking to my three sons about what it means to be a Christian man, and now that I have The Book of Man in hand I have my choice of stories, profiles, and speeches to illustrate what I'm trying to teach them. Bennett offers an excellent (but too brief) introduction and organizes his selections around 6 areas of masculine endeavor: man at war; man at work; man in play, sports, and leisure; man in the polis; man with women and children; and man in prayer and reflection. I'm especially glad to see the last two sections because our culture has some notion of men in the first four categories but not enough for men with their families and men with their God.

Bennett has done a good job of selecting a wide variety of writings related to manhood - enough to offer something for everyone. I especially like this because there's not only one vocation to which men are called, and The Book of Man offers a vision for men in six different spheres. The book is aimed at adult readers, but there is a lot that young men and older boys could benefit from, especially if they read the selections together with their father.

The Book of Man upholds a traditional, moral and religious view of man, even though many of the selections are from men who are not specifically Christian or even religious. What the selections do consistently, however, is to expect that men are moral creatures and must act like such in all spheres of life. Maybe Bennett should have called the book "Men Behaving Well."

My one complaint about the book is that the selections, while good ones, are all short (usually a page). This encourages only dipping into the minds and lives of men who are good examples, and not to engage them more deeply. Some of the men represented in the book are: Winston Churchill, William Shakespeare (Henry V), William the Conqueror, Sergeant York, Ronald Reagan, Douglas MacArthur, Teddy Roosevelt, Booker T. Washington, Pete Maravich, Davy Crockett, Nolan Ryan, Charles Dickens, St. Francis of Assissi, Robert E. Lee, and George Washington.

I'm looking forward to sharing this with my sons and recommend it as one helpful way to begin raising real men again.

I received this book free from the publisher through the BookSneeze book review bloggers program. The opinions I have expressed are my own and were influenced only by the quality of the book itself.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book! well worth the money, High Quality Binding (HARDBACK), October 12, 2011
The Book of Man By William Bennett is a most excellent collection of stories based on the history of what strong,courageous and bold men has done for the United Sates and the World. The author aired on Sean Hannity's television program to promote this epic collection to help young men learn about what life as a man is; its not a joke, and its not something earned when you reach a certain age. It's taking responsibility to stand up for what is right in the toughest times, war times, peace times, and when your life is going perfect. The book also contains the story of Aaron Rodgers & Cal Ripken Jr. (in the sports& leisure section of this book) which was a great surprise to me being that Aaron Rodgers just won the Super Bowl with the Packers in Feb. 2011. I would recommend this book to any man who enjoys history and/or sports, who doesn't? The book's physical cover and pages are Premium quality and is built to last generations, if desired. This book will be around my house for years to come because of the real & inspirational stories that it contains.

(This is my review of The Book of Man by Dr. William Bennett. I am writing this review for <...> a division of Thomas Nelson Publishing...I agree to write a review on a blog site and commercial site, and I recieve a free book!)

5.0 out of 5 stars A valuable resource in training up young men, October 5, 2011
I am fortunate to have a really good husband, but as the mother of two grown daughters I know how hard it is to find a good man. I don't mean that there aren't any--I have a wonderful son-in-law who makes me very proud. But I have noticed for some time now that boys in America seem to have a hard time growing up. Young men who should be mature and starting a family and career are still spending all of their time in adolescent pursuits and activities. They seem to have no interest in duty, family, defending their country, or being men of honor. Instead, the vast majority of young men seem to be lazy, ill-mannered, self centered, and immature. How did this come about? Our culture seems to bombard young people with the message that responsibility and self worth are no longer things to strive for and sadly the "stars" and famous people they look up to are not worthy of "idol" status. This has changed greatly from the time when our school textbooks were filled with the true stories of the heroes who made this country great and even television shows were moral, clean, and portrayed men of honor. Many parents see the messages from society and wonder how to get back the ideals that were once prevalent in this country.

Enter William Bennett's newest offering, The Book of Man. Filled with stories, letters, poems, essays, myths and legends, as well as profiles of real life heroes; this book will give boys something that has sadly become a thing of the past--heroes to look up to and emulate. This beautiful 546 page volume is divided into six sections where you will find tales of courage, love, devotion, bravery, and sacrifice--the makings of a true man. This book would be a prefect devotional springboard for a father and his sons as well as a wonderful resource for the homeschooling family. Written about men for men, I believe that this book would also be very beneficial to girls and young women as well in helping them to see what kind of man is worthy of their interest. Destined to be a classic like The Book of Virtues, The Book of Man will give every young male who reads it the inspiration to become a true man in the eyes of God and his peers.

I received this complimentary copy from the Thomas Nelson Publishing through their BookSneeze program. A positive review was not required and the opinions expressed here are my own.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Good Read, October 11, 2011
John (Hoover, Albania) - See all my reviews
I have read through this book. It is a good read, with many great stories. Most of the 1-star reviews appear to be written by the same person....and that person obviously hasn't read anymore of the book than sample pages.

3.0 out of 5 stars Book of Man., October 11, 2011
I have 2 little girls and I'm not what some people refer to as a "man's man". Don't get me wrong, I like to shoot things and play sports, those kinds of things but I haven't ever been someone who prides himself on being "MANLY". So, when I had the opportunity to review this Book of Man by William J. Bennett (thank you Booksneeze), I wanted to see what his perspective is on being a man so that I could compare that to who I am.

Bennett sums up being a man, as the same virtues that define military service, "Order, Loyalty & Service" (location 689 on Kindle). He goes on to say that the highest virtues of a man's soul are "Honor, Fortitude, Service & Sacrifice" (Location 817 on Kindle). I would completely agree if these things were better defined in the book. He gives phenomenal examples throughout the entire book which seem to illustrate these virtues but the issue I take is that the examples seem to be in settings of extraordinary situations. How often am I at war? How often am I in a September 11th type situation, or playing in an Indiana State Championship game? If you don't know, not very often.

I love the fact that the book compiles a truck load of stories about Men and how they handle certain situations, and how their Virtues are what pull them up through any situation but I was disappointed that there wasn't more time spent dissecting the scenarios and pointing out why these scenarios are ruled by Manly Men.

BookSneeze® has provided me with a complimentary advanced reading copy of this book for review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Becoming a Real Man, October 3, 2011
Conservative leader William Bennett employs anecdotes, essays, historical illustrations, and current outlines in order to teach the reader what it is to be a real man. Forming a man from a boy is more difficult now than ever; numerous men live their lives pursuing vain, empty, and purposeless activities as they often neglect the deep profound things that make one a true man. And in "The Book of Man" Bennett patiently admonishes American men concerning their identity predicament: "We need to bring that word `virtues' back and put the word `values' on the shelf. We have a man problem in American society, and we need to address it."

"The Book of Man" aims to help teach boys and men crucial lessons on the route to becoming a man.

Bennett adds: "Men are not marrying, not making the commitments in the way at they used to." "Women have said, women I've met, daughters of friends of mine in their 20s and 30s, have said, `Where are the men? Where are the men? Where are the men we want to marry, where are the men we want to raise our children with?'"

Bennett employs statistics to make his point: The proportion of women to men at the start of college (55% female, 45 % male) rises by the time of graduation to 62 % female, 38 % male; additionally the difficulty is worse at black colleges, where the graduation proportion is 70 % female, and 30 % male. Men ought to aim to live a more robust life: intellectually, spiritually, and in leadership roles.

Sections consist of:

* Man in War
* Man at Work
* Man in Play, Competition, and Leisure'''''
* Man with Woman and Children'''''
* Man in Prayer and Reflection
* And more.

"We are raising a lot of great boys into men in this society... but we're not raising enough," continued Bennett; inasmuch as young men are open to a "dizzying array of confusing signals" from social images elevating "hood culture," to violence on women, and "the gay culture." "You have to be taught, you have modeling, you have to have mentors, you have to have men in your lives."

This is a very handsome tome, large and lovely, that addresses a needed topic in a very practical and readable way. Great for pastors, fathers, mothers, and teachers.
I received this volume at no cost from the publisher through the BookSneez. It was not a prerequisite to write a positive review.

Mike Robinson Author of:
"Truth, Knowledge and the Reason for God: The Defense of the Rational Assurance of Christianity"

4.0 out of 5 stars My Review, October 4, 2011
First, I would like to thank Thomas Nelson publishing and the Pinkston Group for allowing me the opportunity to review an ARC of this book. Thank you. I would also remind you that this book hits stores today so check it out.

I had high expectations for this book when I received it and first started looking at it. Once I got into the book I would have to say that my high expectations were partially met. Let me explain.

The premise of the book is great. I love the idea of illustrating the points of manhood by using famous speeches, essays, etc. I also like the fact that Dr. Bennett used stories of everyday people such as police men and sanitation workers to illustrate his points. It makes it very easy to relate to the book on a personal level. I gathered a lot of great insight and information on what it means to be a man. That part of the book definitely met my expectations.

I had only two problems with this book. The first problem was the sheer length of it. This books is over 500 pages long and only has 6 chapters. I feel as if Dr. Bennett could have gotten his point across with far fewer essays and stories per chapter. About halfway through the chapters I found myself thinking that we could probably move on to the next point and I would still have 50 or so pages to read in the chapter. The second problem was that I sometimes got bogged down with trying to read all of the different writing styles of the original authors of the essays. What I mean by that is that all of the different stories and essays and speeches were written in their period language, so your mind had to constantly try to switch back and forth and that got tiresome during some chapters.

Having said all of that, my overall view of the book is a positive one. This book is a great resource if you are looking for one or two thoughts on manhood and how it relates to different aspects of life. The 6 chapters cover: war, work, play, polis (politics), women and children, and prayers and reflection. If you are going to sit down and read it cover to cover give yourself plenty of time because it's not a quick read.

I would recommend this book for people that work with men and boys such as counselors, teachers, etc. I would also recommend this book for men that want to take a look at what manhood looks like throughout history and today.

This book releases today! So go check it out!

Overall rating 4/5 (because it's such a great reference book)

The Book of Man: Readings on the Path to Manhood
The Book of Man: Readings on the Path to Manhood by William J. Bennett (Hardcover - October 4, 2011)
$34.99 $14.00