Automotive Deals Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Format: Paperback|Change

on December 3, 2014
There is not much to say. Its a hard read. It is painfully clear that the story itself is made up, not history.
on July 17, 2013
Well what I can say? this book is good its have a good fictional history about America. Please don't believe anything of this is just fiction. This book is like the divine comedy of Dante Alighieri but less real. I recommend this book for any biblical fictional lover. But remember do not believe on this book.
on April 24, 2014
For the longest time, we had the Torah, Torah II: New Testament, and Torah III: The Quran. Over a thousand years later, Joseph Smith decided to reboot Part III.

It's not unheard of to reboot later parts; for instance, Highlander III ignored/replaced II, Halloween H20 replaced everything after Halloween 3, etc. Still, Smith was taking a real chance.

As it is, I'm not sure how I feel about it. Torah III: Book of Mormon moves the action out of the Middle East and into the Americas. Some people will find the new locales refreshing, but for myself, I'm not sure I like the story being shifted so far - I happen to be into Arabic culture, Egyptian mythology, etc. On the other hand, this reboot brings aliens into the story and makes it into something of a sci-fi epic about alien gods long before people like Charles Fort, Erich von Daniken or Zecharia Sitching postulated similar theories, so in a way this novel is well ahead of its time.

I would say if you don't mind the shift in locales, and enjoy good sci-fi, this reboot is worth checking out. Otherwise, just stick to the original.
on November 5, 2015
I had been told that BOOK OF MORMON was eminently readable.

Not by me.

Orson Scott Card's writing got me curious about Mormonism, but the main Mormon book is too stylized for me to follow withouit more effort than I want to put in
on February 15, 2016
I got a copy of the book of Mormon because of the spiritually things that was in the book. I started reading it and I felt this closeness to God the book of Mormon taught me how to understand Trinity. Then I read it up the book of Alma and God told me there is only one gospel and that is the Holy Bible and to stop reading it. I believe its a fiction book that Joseph Smith made up personally I believe it should be considered a fiction christian book and not compared to the bible. One reason I believe it's false is because I read the bible in tongues. I have the Baptism of the Holy Ghost but the Holy Ghost would let me speak in tongues when reading the book of Mormon so I know its false. I do believe it can help some people get closer to God because of the spiritually things in the book of Mormon and it can teach you things about God but I would consider it a Christian fiction book.
on October 18, 2015
There are no non-mormon archeologists who have written anything credible about this book. It uses a lot of 'it came to pass' type language that fills its pages. There are internet sites that can tell you far more about mormonism than their own book. The Book of Mormon tells nothing about its origin of polygamy, why mormons are repulsed by coffee or iced tea, why non-whites and women are second class even today, why morman men are so critical about how its women dress or the obsession on obedience over critical thinking skills. Instead, it's a fictional assortment of what the author imagined life in either Central America or New York State (he couldn't make up his mind) could possibly be. Only men are heros and the 3 brief times a womans' name is mentioned, its in connection with childbearing.
on December 2, 2014
There is a time when I would have rated this book five stars. Once the scales are taken from ones eyes, there is really only expensive, non-compostable paper left to look at. The made up story filled with racism, a very angry god, violence and more. But, even if that description sounds somewhat interesting, it will put you to sleep.
on December 5, 2014
If held up to what it claims to be—an inspired book from God detailing a lost history of ancient American inhabitants—it fails horribly. No science or historical discipline upholds any of the content of the book. It is not history. If reviewed as a fantasy, it is exceedingly boring and uneven. If you are desperate for spiritual guidance, just put your energy into any other book and you'll find just as much content you can use in your life, and a hell of a lot less falsehood that aims to suck you into a cult.
on January 11, 2015
I admire the Mormons as people and admire their sense of unity and and how they practice Christianity in their actions. But the story of how their religion came to being reminds me of my Islamic past: Mohammad had a vision of Gabriel and Joseph Smith had a similar encounter with the angel Moroni. Both take the Bible as their starting point and distort it to their own self-serving purposes. Both loved women too much. One woman is already enough to keep a man on the straight and narrow path, but these men both were sex maniacs.
on June 6, 2015
There are few holy books that portray pacifism in a positive light. Certainly the OT doesn't, nor does the Koran. I maintain the NT does, especially through the teachings of Jesus, but I am clearly in a minority. Most Christians do not believe that Jesus advocated pacifism. If you agree with that, then the world's two most widely accepted Holy Books, the Bible and the Koran, both abjure pacifism as a requirement of their followers, and neither praises it as desirable. Few people who are not LDS realize this, but the Book of Mormon contains a lengthy section (in the book of Alma) about a tribe called the Anti-Nephi-Lehies. These were Lamanites who had been converted to righteousness. Listen to Alma describe what their king said on this occasion:
"Now my brethren, if our brethren seek to destroy us, behold, we will hide away our swords, even we will bury them deep in the earth that they may be kept bright as a testimony to the last day that we have never used them; and if our brethren destroy us, behold, we shall go to our God and shall be saved."
...And this they did, vouching and covenanting with God that rather than shed the blood of their brethren they would give up their own lives...

This is a pretty clear statement of pacifism.
If you stop to think for a moment, the LDS church is the only widely recognized religion that was founded outside of Asia. Zoroastrianism, Judaism, Christianity, Islam, Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, Sikhism and Baha'i were all founded in Asia, and still flourish today worldwide. The only world religion not founded in Asia is Mormonism, and for this reason it deserves special attention.
These passages from the Book of Alma clearly approve of the determination of the Anti-Nephi-Lehies to refuse to resort to violence, even in self-defense. It was connected with their conversion to righteousness. There is no getting around the obvious approval of the Book of Alma concerning their pacifism. The Book of Alma recognizes it as admirable and proper.
Of the major world religions, Jainism and Baha'i both adhere to non-violence as an essential part of their faith. I thought Buddhism was also in this camp, but recent studies have shown me otherwise; Buddha may have opposed violence, but his followers have certainly become comfortable with it. Sikhism rapidly lost any impulse towards non-violence it had, once the Sikhs began to be persecuted in earnest.
So it is rare for an established religion to contain sacred writings that eschew violence, and praise non-violence. Like the Sikhs, the Mormons, after their persecution began in Missouri and elsewhere, did defend themselves in Utah, and even engaged in a little violence of their own (see Juanita Brooks' pioneering work, The Mountain Meadows Massacre). This does not detract from the fact that the Book of Mormon in the Book of Alma, advocates, praises and commends non-violence as the way of righteousness, even to the extent of allowing yourself and your loved ones to be destroyed.