5.0 out of 5 stars For the serious student..., October 15, 2002
RX (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Book of Splendours: The Inner Mysteries of Qabalism (Inner Mysteries of Qabalism: Its Relationship to Freemasonry) (Paperback)
This book is not for those who do not already have a strong foundation in the Hermetic Western Tradition, Kabballah, Alchemy, etc. This book really is for those who understand the Kabballah. Levi speaks in symbols, even when it appears to be mundane words. This is what confuses students. To understand Kabballah, one needs guidance, patience, humility...Not this pompous western attitude that we can evoke the most powerful demons of the abysmal realms and place them in our servitude! Woh to us, the lost culture... Study yourself, apply this book to yourself. Understand why it is that Levi would talk about the Masonic Legends, how does it apply to you? The three traitors of Hiram, what are their significance in you? Kabballah is an extensive science...if it is not understood, it is criticized, like in many of the other comentaries. Buy this book, be patient with it, take your time and study other books as supplementary material-more importantly, study Gnosis, the foundation of all Western Esoteric Traditions. Study the books of Samael Aun Weor as supplementary material, he wrote over 75 books on similar subjects!

4.0 out of 5 stars More pieces of the puzzle, September 4, 2005
July 2014: Since writing many book reviews of the past, much has changed, I have discovered much more. I have come to see and have had exposed many of the deceptions and errors associated with Gnosticism, this even after becoming a Gnostic priest. My faith in Christ has been my anchor and I press on with him who shed his blood for me. I am tempted to delete many of my reviews, as I have already done; time will tell.

This is the review at the back cover of this book:

"This is the first part of Eliphas Levis's last great discourse on the mysteries of occultism that was continued and concluded in `The Great Secret'. In it, Levi examines with great precision and insight the inner meanings of Qabalism and their relationship to the occult sciences.

Part One is a commentary on the Siphra Dzeniuta by Simeon Ben-Jechal, which includes an examination of the affinities between Qabalism and Freemasonry. Part Two pursues the correspondences between Qabalism, Numerology and the Tarot.

This edition includes an appendix by Papus (Dr. Gerard Encausse) summarizing Levi's doctrines and teachings and supplying some fascinating information on some of the master's many disciples"

This is not an easy book to review, perhaps because there are so many topics discussed. However, if your looking for practical exercises or a how to, you wont find it here. The book has a lovely section comparing the story of Krishna to Jesus. Also, the Masonic legends of Solomon, Hiram and the building of the temple are also truly wonderful. I'd recommend the book on these points alone.

The first part of the book deals with Judaism struggling to come to grips with a God of wrath. The conclusion is that the God of love slept while God's shadow did not. This does not work for me. From reading this book you discover that Levi's belief is that masonry is a truer Catholic Church. I wonder what he would think of masonry in its present form?

Personally, I don't recall reading much on the Tarot as stated in the review on the back cover of this book. This book is 191 pages long. The appendix by Papus starts at page 143. However, I did find this next quote in the appendix, which is a true diamond, "As long as love is only desire and pleasure, it is mortal. To become eternal it must become a sacrifice,"

Pages 127-142 contain `The elements of the Qabalah in ten lessons'. These are letters of Eliphas Levi to one of his students. I don't really remember much of what I read in these letters. I could say that the Qabalah is really deep and that I need to further digest these pages. I'd rather say that I got a lot more out of reading Mystical Qabalah -- by Dion Fortune.

On the whole I did not mind reading this book, as it gave me further insight into Eliphas Levi's work, while also discovering some nice gems.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Book, November 10, 2011
This is a Great Book, the whole series is good. This is by no means a how to book or a book for beginers. This book will bring great understanding and knowledge to anyone who reads it with an open mind. I know I will pick up something new everytime I reread it. I recommend all three books but you can take them one at a time, you do not have to have all three. Each one is its own great book. I recommend this book and the other Levi books to anyone interested in his subject.

5.0 out of 5 stars great, March 15, 2013
This review is from: The Book of Splendours (Hardcover)
an amazing in depth book, a great deal of information is provided about the topic at hand, I recommend this book highly.....

4.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable reference, but dry dry dry, August 31, 2000
Joseph J. Thiebes (Portland, OR United States) - See all my reviews
This book is critical for those pursuing hermetic spirituality. It is very difficult to read though, especially for we young americans who have such short attention spans. The language is complex, monotonous (as much as printed text can be) and in many places boring. Nonetheless, it is a great reference for telesmatic imagery and as a reference.

5.0 out of 5 stars in weakness, the divine strength, February 21, 2000
ian kruske (united states) - See all my reviews
everywhere simultaneously exists the infinitesimal point which does not exist but which is the parameter that underlies the space in time-space that matter does not occupy, furthermore the space that matter occupies are singularities of this unsullied state. The book of splendours is the guide to returning the shekinah to this great state of perfection. This bridge to the unity of God and will, is what Eliphas sought to elucidate for humanity. Blessed be this true Humanitarian..

Rate and Discover Movies