5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant First Novel
This book is riveting from page one. Andi writes like a poet. Not only that, her characters are well developed and make me care about what happens to them. From the beginning she draws us into a mystery that keeps us guessing right until she reveals it near the end of the book. I would never have figured it out and was surprised and delighted by the revelation...
Published on May 16, 2011 by Gillian Katz

2.0 out of 5 stars COULDN'T PUT IT DOWN!
Andi Rosenthal transported me to so many wonderful places in this historical novel. One of the best of its kind, she ranks right up there with Phillipa Gregory in creating an excellent book. It is truly captivating and sweeps one off one's feet. Her attention to detail, heartfelt emotion and inter-personal relationships is precise. This book is a current selection for one...
Published 15 months ago by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant First Novel, May 16, 2011
This review is from: The Bookseller's Sonnets (Paperback)
This book is riveting from page one. Andi writes like a poet. Not only that, her characters are well developed and make me care about what happens to them. From the beginning she draws us into a mystery that keeps us guessing right until she reveals it near the end of the book. I would never have figured it out and was surprised and delighted by the revelation!

I learned a great deal about the Jewish Museum in New York and was fascinated to learn the process one goes through when deciphering ancient texts. Andi Rosenthal humanized Thomas More and his family for me. I have studied ancient England, Henry VIII and his court in college text books, but The Bookseller's Sonnets filled in the gaps for me and humanized the characters. I look forward with great anticipation to her next novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Moving Work to Raise Your Spirits, January 31, 2011
This review is from: The Bookseller's Sonnets (Paperback)
The Bookseller's Sonnets Andi Rosenthal is a master storyteller, but as this debut novel also establishes, she is an exceptional poet. The Bookseller's Sonnets is creative and riveting, and the author's ability to write in several very different voices, with credibility in each, displays exceptional talent. The themes are important for multiple generations, and the span of history imparts a dimension of richness that stays with the reader long after the back cover has been turned over.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read!, May 10, 2013
Beautrifully written and very intriguing! One of my favorite reads of the year! I would highly recommend this book! GREAT!

4.0 out of 5 stars A Book For All Times, April 28, 2013
The weaving of historical fact and the parallel stories of the characters over centuries of time was brilliantly done. It is more than just their individual stories. It is symbolic of the destructiveness of narrow religious intolerance for the lives of people. The psychological impact of family secrets is also well delineated. Deserving of a wide audience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story, writing style, and writing techniques!, July 19, 2011
Jed L. Garfunkel (Seattle, WA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Bookseller's Sonnets (Paperback)
I was really blown away by this book because it managed to pull me in, make me care about the characters, and it taught me a lot about history and the human condition. Andi managed to create three separate stories about three totally different women (even their differing writing styles were captured),and three totally different moments in history. At times the book was emotionally draining as it covered intense stories from the Inquisition, to the Holocaust, to September 11th, but it gives the reader a rewarding degree of depth to process and experience while reading. Although I knew it was fiction, I was really very impressed that I never questioned the authenticity of the characters or their stories because they were so compelling and realistic. If you are looking for a great story, a well written mystery, and some historical reference to learn a little from, this is a great book. Actually, this is a great book, period. I hope you enjoy it as much as i did.

5.0 out of 5 stars A lovely, compelling read, October 5, 2010
This review is from: The Bookseller's Sonnets (Paperback)
The Bookseller's Sonnets is the story of three women, all from different times, all facing challenges to their love, to their faith, and to their families. The author ties their stories together so deftly, showing the universality of the strength of love and lovingly shows us the true ties that bind us to the ones we love. The main character, Jill Levin, is a woman of intelligence, thoughtfulness and humility, allowing us on her personal journey through her struggles with faith and family. The voice of Margaret More is written believably, the sonnets with great poetic skill. The written voice of the anonymous donor, a Holocaust survivor, captures the horror, suffering, and survivor's guilt. Most interestingly, it explores the long-lasting effects of such an event on the survivor's world view, and even how it has greatly affected generations since. Even the supporting characters are written with love and sympathy, each with their own perspective, allowing Jill, and us, to come to an understanding on matters of faith and love with an open mind and with careful thought. This is one of those books that will stay with me for quite a while.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful debut novel, October 9, 2010
Donald Capone "Donald Capone" (Hastings on Hudson, NY United States) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Bookseller's Sonnets (Paperback)
Author Rosenthal deftly weaves together past and present in this wonderful debut novel. Because of its religious plot, people will want to compare it to the Davinci Code; while is does have cinematic potential, as that novel did, it is more multi-layered, modern, and taps in to character, prejudice and identity much more than the Davinci Code; it is more than just a religious mystery. Lead character Jill Levin, a curator at the Museum of Jewish Heritage in present-day Manhattan, receives an anonymous donation. It is a 500-year-old handwritten manuscript that--if it is truly authentic--is the diary of Margaret, the daughter of St. Thomas More. What is written inside has the potential to rock the worlds of both Judaism and Catholicism, but may affect Jill's life even more. Rosenthal's writing is crisp and fluid, and I couldn't wait to get home from work every night and crawl back into this world she created. As others here have said, it is a true page turner.

5.0 out of 5 stars An intriguing exploration of the human condition, October 10, 2010
This review is from: The Bookseller's Sonnets (Paperback)
I'm not white, not a history buff, not a Jew or Catholic or even particularly religious; and yet, I was immediately swept into the world Andi Rosenthal meticulously built that embraces all of these. From the personal, to the family, to the historical travails her characters are caught in, Andi nails the difficulties that humans must endure in order to survive. I found myself liking the voices of her characters, the real-ness of their situations, and the mystery that lies -- like evening fog -- over almost every page. This book is so good! The voices of the three women from different time periods rang true, and the sonnets are lovely. I'm nearing the end and trying to read more slowly. I don't want to leave this world or these people behind.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely best-seller material! I couldn't put this down!, October 17, 2010
This review is from: The Bookseller's Sonnets (Paperback)
How can one author fit so much into one novel? Historical fiction, romance, mystery, modern-day issues, religion, culture. . . the essence of the human experience! I LOVED this book. . . better than many of the NYTimes Bestsellers I've read! My book club will be reading this SOON! I cried for the first time on page 8, laughed many times throughout, had to pick my jaw up several times as well, and was extremely moved the whole last forty pages! I want more! Be careful not to start reading this late at night. . . you won't want to stop! A gripping, beautiful novel with the education I received within is a double pleasure! Thank you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Your Best Read this Year, September 30, 2010
This review is from: The Bookseller's Sonnets (Paperback)
The author has taken 3 different eras in history and woven them together with real, believable characters-both contemporary and historic- to make an absolutely unforgettable story. This is the kind of book you feel compelled to keep reading yet hate to finish, because you know you'll miss the characters when it's over. The language is well crafted and the poetry stunningly beautiful. This book hasn't even made it to my bookshelf, because it is on loan again the minute it is returned to me. I can hardly wait for the next one!

The Bookseller's Sonnets
The Bookseller's Sonnets by Andi Rosenthal (Paperback - September 16, 2010)
$16.95 $11.41