5.0 out of 5 stars More than football!, October 18, 2001
R. Scott Ricks (Birmingham, Alabama) - See all my reviews
I wanted to read the Bowden Way because I am a college football fan. What I found was that I needed to read it because I am a small business owner. I had always admired Bobby Bowden because of the success he had in creating a program at Florida State, a school that had very little, if any, tradition. For any entrepenuer the concept of starting with nothing and building success hits close to home. How to do this is the ultimate question, and Bowden lays everything on the table in his attempt to answer it. I equate most of the motivational books I've read to the majority of consultants I've heard. That is, academia who look at your watch and tell you what time it is. The Bowden Way does more than tell you that in order to be succesful you've got to be orginized. Bowden shows you what has worked for him in his fifty plus years of motivating a team. The book reads as if the Coach has asked you into his office, sat you down and said, "Okay son, having problems with your employees? Well here's what you do and here's what I'd say." As you read the book you will be amazed at the close relationship between running a dominant football program and a growing business, so there are numerous topics that will be dear to your heart. This book is a quick, easy and useful read, so much that I'm giving one to all of my project managers. And Oh Yea, its full of college football from an insiders point of veiw.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bowden Way, December 4, 2001
Jeff Holland (Birmingham, AL) - See all my reviews
In The Bowden Way, Steve and Bobby Bowden combine to bring the reader practical, common sense approaches to issues every one of us face on a daily basis. Moreover, the content keeps you interested, is easy to follow, and is very linear in moving along from one topic to the next. Of course, with Bobby Bowden, there's always a bit of that geniune humor we've all come to expect. I would strongly recommend this book for any and all ages, football fan or not. It's a refreshing read.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent, December 17, 2001
i would recommend this book to anyone who has to manage people in any capacity...from managing your children to managing your employees...Coach Bowden has proven himself to be a true leader both on and off the football field.

5.0 out of 5 stars bowden shows us all how to win!, November 29, 2001
Wow- where to start. As a high-school football coach and student of motivation I have read every book written by a successful coach of any sport. All have been helpful, but this book is by far the best advice I have ever read on coaching and leading an organization. Bowden writes simple statements that at first glance seem somewhat to simplistic. However, the simplicity is the genuis of the man. The advice is short, specfic, and it works. I did not read one story or find an example as being a "coaching embellishment" all of the examples the man provides are real-life situations and the honest apprasial of the situation is a treat. As a coach I have a found a simple but powerful way to build a football program, as a leader and a person I have found a way to live a life with simple workable ideas and practices. Bowden's chapters on staff morale and staff meetings are pure gold to football coaches. Every coach should own this book and every person should read it. I was not a huge Bobby Bowden fan before, but I am now. He has written an honest book, that will make a huge difference for whomever reads it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Leadership Book I Have Ever Read, February 7, 2004
A. Scott (Macclenny, FL United States) - See all my reviews
I have read Maxwell and a host of other leadership books, but there is a world of difference between a consultant or a middle-manager telling you about leadership...and the winningest coach in college football telling you about leadership!
The thing I liked the most is that rather than vague affirmations or ambiguous principles, Bowden gives us SPECIFIC, hard-won advice regarding handling staff, planning for success, etc.
The fact that he has done so remarkably well--with his job "on the line" based on each season's performance, not to mention every time he plays a strong rival--Bowden gives us a CEO/Chairman of the Board-level view of how to handle matters.
I bought it because I am an FSU fan. I kept it because it was the best book on leadership I had ever read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dad gummit good leadership book!, June 14, 2006
I'm a Penn State grad and fan, but I enjoyed Bobby Bowden's leadership book. It's very easy to read and has lots of good advice. Also, I respect his religious beliefs and that he openly shares them throughout the book. This is a good leadership book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Riverboat Gambler, June 19, 2008
This review is from: The Bowden Way: 50 Years of Leadership Wisdom (Paperback)
Underneath the southern hospitality is a man who understands the importance of taking risks and managing those risks. I think what makes Bowden unique is his ability to keep his ego in check with a sense of humility and gratitude that's rare in leadership today. I always got the feeling that he's grateful for being in the position where he is today, be it family or his coaching career.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bobby Bowden is a Legend.., January 17, 2003
Jeremy Owens (Hackettstown, New Jersey United States) - See all my reviews
On the football field Bobby Bowden is king! He is also a very inspirational and motivated person. This book is amazing, in ALL aspects. You don't have to be a Florida State or even a football fan, this book goes so far beyond any sport. This book basically tells you how too live a better life, and Bobby Bowden obviously has a awesome one.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great coaching book, August 7, 2013
This review is from: The Bowden Way: 50 Years of Leadership Wisdom (Paperback)
Provided great insight into staffing as a coach. How to hire people, what expectations are, and how to build a program. As an assistant men's college basketball coach I found some great insight.

5.0 out of 5 stars What you see is what you get from Coach Bowden, December 8, 2012
This review is from: The Bowden Way: 50 Years of Leadership Wisdom (Paperback)
I had the honor of working with Coach Bowden for seven years at Florida State and West Virginia. This book on leadership is required reading for all my clients in my Life Coaching and Leadership firm. Coach does a great job sharing Leadership stories and tips that made him the most winning coach in College Football. He has a special talent for mixing "down home" stories of his career with common everyday leadership tips that can be applied to life and the business world. This book is a must read for anyone be it a seasoned or novice leadership. To use Bobby's own words, "It is a dang gum good book"!

The Bowden Way: 50 Years of Leadership Wisdom
The Bowden Way: 50 Years of Leadership Wisdom by Bobby Bowden (Paperback - December 1, 2001)
$15.95 $14.36