5.0 out of 5 stars Four plucky orphans take on the world
Published on September 25, 2004 by Kona

3.0 out of 5 stars The first book is very cute; the rest derivative and boring
The first book of this set is fun and exciting for children. While the setting is getting a bit dated, the idea of a group of siblings trying to survive on their own in secret in the woods in a basically safe environment plays right into the imagination of many kids. The characters scavenge plates, improvise other things they find into useful items, earn money, buy...
Published on September 24, 2007 by Spock

5.0 out of 5 stars Four plucky orphans take on the world, September 25, 2004
Kona (Emerald City) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Boxcar Children Books 1-4 (Paperback)
This pleasant story opens as four tired and hungry siblings, aged 5 to 15, press their noses against a bakery window, eyeing the lovely goodies inside. They have recently lost their parents and are on the run from their mean grandfather, whom they have never met. They find an abandoned boxcar in the woods, set up housekeeping, and live quite happily on berries, bread, and a little meat bought with the oldest boy's gardening pay. Life is very good until one of the girls becomes sick and they must tell an adult about where they live.

The book was written in the 1942 by a teacher who cleverly used only the 500 most common words in the English language to create a very easy to read, yet exciting, beginning chapter book for 7 and 8 year olds. Most of the story concerns the children's sense of fun and boundless resourcefulness, as they take care of themselves, all the while being cheerful and thankful for what they have. Children who are ready for a chapter book will be delighted to find this one is very easy to read. They will enjoy the children's adventure of living in the woods without adults, and, of course, it has a very happy ending. This book is the first (and I think the best) of a very long series of adventures for the Boxcar Children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Give your child a love for reading, January 23, 2004
This review is from: The Boxcar Children Books 1-4 (Paperback)
I read these books in 3rd grade. I'm 25 now. I still think fondly about the times when I read the Boxcar Children series. I still remember the vivid explaination by Gertrude Chandler Warner of the treasures the children find including a cup with a chip in it that they use to survive while living in the boxcar.
This is one of the many books that helped me develop a great love for reading. As an educator, I can now say that this is one of the literary gems out there that is timeless for students (and adults) of all ages to enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Boxcar Children was the first book I ever read: I was 7., February 28, 1998
By A Customer
This review is from: The Boxcar Children Books 1-4 (Paperback)
I still recall with some clarity the closeness I felt to the children as I made my way through this book in the second grade. I remember that I was fully immersed, and that I immediately checked out other books in search of a similar experience. I became a reader for life. Many times I have wondered if this was an out-of-print title, a well known book, or simply an obscure children's adventure which happened to be in our Holy Cross School library in Mendota, Il. On a whim, I stopped into Amazon and I was ecstatic to learn that it is a classic, and that I can(and will) purchase the entire series for my own children.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a great series!, August 5, 2004
Carol Schuman (Arlington, TX USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Boxcar Children Books 1-4 (Paperback)
My 11 year old son has a reading deficit, and hates to read! We ordered the first 2 boxed sets in this series for him to read and number 9 as well...we got them two days ago and he has read almost the entire first book already and can't wait to finish it tomorrow *and* start on a new one! I am so impressed with the enthusiasm he has! This is the first time I have seen him read for enjoyment! I say buy as many as you can if you want to encourage your kid to read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for kids with reading difficulties, November 6, 2005
This review is from: The Boxcar Children Books 1-4 (Paperback)
My child has suffered with reading problems throughout elementary school. She is now in 4th grade. The Boxcar Children's books are the first series of books that my daughter can read without any assistance. Also, she loves to read them. The author wrote the books so that kids would be interested in the story and that they would be able to read them without too much difficulty. All I can say is thank you to Gertrude Chandler Warner. God Bless your soul.

5.0 out of 5 stars Refreshing!, July 22, 2004
This review is from: The Boxcar Children Books 1-4 (Paperback)
My kids love these books!

Are the characters kind, polite, and "good"? Yes! Is the setting unfamiliar to today's kids? Yes! Isn't this what we should be wanting to introduce to our children? Please, yes! I am disappointed that the publishers have tried to "update" the books by modernizing the pictures on the covers (1980's--talk about outdated!) instead of staying true to the time period. Let our kids see how people dressed and the kinds of things they had. Let them experience healthy, kind relationships. Fill them with good examples, rather than expecting them to only care for the familiar reality of their own lives that is so often lacking moral good.

One other note--only the first 19 books are the original stories written by Mrs. Warner. The publisher decided to continue the series due to popularity, but I wouldn't count on the same quality.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful Books for Children, May 25, 2007
Sheila Gaylord (Adel, Georgia USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Boxcar Children Books 1-4 (Paperback)
I remember having this book read to the class in 3rd grade, that was 56 years ago. It was a terrific and memorable experience. I ordered this set to donate to a class in our elementary school for special needs children. The teacher was thrilled to receive the books. She also remembered it from her childhood. Needless to say the books make an indelible impression on children.

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BOXCAR CHILDREN, September 12, 2005
This review is from: The Boxcar Children Books 1-4 (Paperback)
This is a wonderful book to read to youngsters (ages 5-12). The descriptions the author uses are wonderful and the book helps to spoiled kids realize that there is more to life than possessions.

5.0 out of 5 stars Found Childhood Memories, May 31, 2005
Sofia Janmohamed (Vancouver, BC, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Boxcar Children Books 1-4 (Paperback)
I remember reading the story of The Boxcar Children in the early nineties when I was in elementary school. It was my favorite story and I must have read it more than 50 times. 15 years later I still remember the adventures and it brings back nostalgic feelings. It is a warm story, with wonderful messages of perseverence, strength and family love children can share with their friends and their parents.

5.0 out of 5 stars I remember......., March 31, 2005
Linda C. Oldham (Oak Island, NC USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Boxcar Children Books 1-4 (Paperback)
I am a 57 year old grandmother to twin girls. As I was exploring books to get for them, I remembered the whole series of Boxcar Children books when I was in elementary school. In fact, I was so young, the teacher read them aloud in the room! I remember that sweet teacher reading a few chapters everyday....and the class begging for more!! What great books and memories!!!

The Boxcar Children Books 1-4
The Boxcar Children Books 1-4 by Gertrude Chandler Warner (Paperback - September 1, 1990)
$21.99 $15.33