5.0 out of 5 stars A Pure Delight!
Published on August 6, 2001 by Linda J. Barrett

1.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful story, but NOT the original. Please don't call it that.
The blurb from "Publishers Weekly" says that the 60th Anniversary Edition contains "the original text" of the book. IT DOES NOT, and the afterword, "About Gertrude Chandler Warner", makes this perfectly clear.

The original book, "The Boxcar Children", was not written in 1942, but in 1924. It was published by Rand McNally. The edition in print today -- the...
Published on August 16, 2007 by S. C. Mitchell

5.0 out of 5 stars A Pure Delight!, August 6, 2001
The year was 1959 and I was a 4th grader at Buckeye Elememtary, in Buckeye Arizona. It had been my most difficult school year yet, as Mrs. Goodwin was a task master of the highest order and didn't seem to appreciate my wandering imagination, or lack of attention. In short...I was bored. I was sure nothing less than a miracle could make me like her, or my 4th grade class. Well, thankfully miracles do happen. Mrs. Goodwin decided that we were all going to get library cards and trotted us down to the school library. After getting over the initial shock of being around that many books, I got excited by the idea of being able to choose one to read. I don't remember what made me choose the Boxcar Children from all the other books, but it was my first independent reading experience...and it literally changed my life. The story of 3 young orphaned children who survive on their own in an abandoned boxcar was mesmerizing. I sat on the couch in our living room, unmoved by either hunger...or even the call of nature...because I was so involved in the lives and adventures of these children. It was the first time I found myself transported via the written word to a different time and place...and it was magic! I reread this book again just recently...and to my delight, I still find it wonderful. I defy any child not to find magic in these pages. And because the Boxcar Children is appropriate for either boys, or girls (a rarity these days) it's the perfect book for a parent to read to their children. This is truly a classic...right up there with "Doctor Dolittle", "The Wizard of OZ", or the "Enchanted Garden" and a "must have" for any family's book collection. Don't be surprised if your child can't put it down either and be prepared to read all the other books in the series. They are all wonderful as well. By the way, after reading this book back in 1959, I looked at 4th grade and Mrs. Goodwin in an altogether different light. Anyone, I thought, who appreciated great books like the Boxcar Children had to be okay...and she really was. This book was the key that opened a door to communication between us. Maybe it wasn't a miracle, but it came pretty darn close. Buy Boxcar Children...or, at the least...go to you local library and check it out. You won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is the book that started my love of reading, December 23, 1997
This review is from: The Boxcar Children (Hardcover)
I can still remember the day in the 4th grade I checked out this book from the Crescent School library. Up until that time I had never read any book of substance, just those 5 minute "See Jane run" titles that are so forgettable. This book had me rivited. I was so proud that I had read such an "adult" book. There was such a sense of accomplishment, and the story was so interesting that I blew through it in just a few days. A year earlier I was held back in the 3rd grade and was not a very successful student. This book changed all of that for me. For the first time reading was something fun, and not just homework. After I read it I wanted to read more of these kinds of books but the school year was ending. That summer I enrolled in the Public Library Reading Club and read 75 more books. Today I look back on THE BOXCAR CHILDREN with fond memories. I went looking for it as a Christmas Present for my brother's son who is now in the 3rd grade. I was suprised to find that it was published during the heart of World War II in 1942. Great things endure and obviously I was not the only one to have discovered this book. I want to thank Mrs. Evelyn Wilkerson, that wonderful librarian who suggested the book for me. She gave me such a wonderful Christmas gift, the gift of reading for the enjoyment and pleasure of it. I totally recommend this title for any young person!!!! I always seem to be in need of Presents, I think I will go back and buy a few extra copies just in case :-) Ed Henderson Associate Editor of Scouter's Journal Magazine Past Chairman of the Spalding County Library Board

5.0 out of 5 stars I found a passion for reading as a child - it began here.., September 16, 2000
Before I read the Boxcar Children, in Elementary School, our class would make frequent visits to the library where I would check out books regularly. With the same regularity, however, I would usually turn them in unfinished, or unread altogether. I picked up this book, recommended to me by a teacher in the 3rd grade, and became earnestly engrossed in literature for the first time; I read the book 4 times. The central characters in this book are 4 children of various age, who find what they need to survive without parents to guide their decisions. The young central characters and the vivid descriptions make it easy for young readers to empathize with the children and visualize each event vicariously. The wilderness, the boxcar, the confrontations, the simple yet clever comforts they create for themselves, and the uncertainty of their future are among those things that make this book an enthralling and memorable read. I remember getting a chill at the "finish". A great book and a joy to read.
I recommend The Boxcar Children to all young readers.

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful classic for early readers., December 23, 1999
Younger readers don't have too many exciting classics to choose from. This book fills the bill. Early readers should find the words relatively easy. How enticing it must be... kids living on their own? A reading child's dream comes true in this wonderful book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Chapter Book Series, March 28, 2004
Four young orphans run away from a grandfather they have never even met. They make their home in an abandoned boxcar and are able to rely on only themselves. This is a wonderful series of books that is often overlooked these days with the onslaught of many new series. I recommend every child giving this series a try. I always read book one to my students early in the school year. I am glad to be able to introduce this series to more than twenty children in one sitting. I have many of the books in the series on my classroom shelf; these are copies I brought in from home after my youngest son outgrew the series.

5.0 out of 5 stars I'll Never Forget This Book!, May 6, 2000
By A Customer
I think I must have been in about the third grade when I read this book for the first time. I will always remember how I felt so connected to these children as I am the last of seven children myself and we did not have very much money and my mom and dad were older and at any time something could have happened to them and my older brothers and sisters would had to take care of me. I loved this book so much that when my son who is now 23 was in grade school I had him check it our and we read it together and I once again cried like a baby! I plan to buy this book for my two year old granddaughter and I will read it to her and tell her how very much I love this book. I would hope that every child out there will take the time to read this wonderful story. I'm also very excited to learn that there is a series of books as I was not aware of that. You guessed it, I'll be getting the series for my granddaughter as well!

5.0 out of 5 stars My most cherished gift, May 2, 2000
This review is from: The Boxcar Children (Hardcover)
I must have been in the 3rd grade when I first read this book. I remember the weekly trips my class would have to take to the library. As a child, I didn't like to read very much. I found it very difficult to complete a book if it didn't capture my interest with in the first few pages. So there I was every week perusing through the many shelves of books, trying to find something remotely interesting. I checked out everything from the most simplistic stories, like Curious George and Romana the Pest, and even attempted to read, what I considered at the time, more mature stories such as The Hardy Boys & Nancy Drew mysteries. Yet, I still wasn't quite satisfied.
One day, however, I came across this big red hardcovered book titled, The Boxcar Children. Little did I know that this was to become one of my all time favorites. I was suprised to find myself completely enthralled with this book only after reading the first few pages. The story captured my heart completely. I was so into the book that I finished it in one sitting. Which was definitely a first for me. I often imagined what I would do if my parents died, and my two sisters and I were orphaned. How would we survive on our own? I admired the way the children were able to care for themselves with what little money, food, and shelter they had. I wanted to feel that strength and courage inside me. It is truly a story of independence, strength, and love in it's purest form. I finished this book with a better sense of myself, and my own abilities. I returned the book the following week, but checked it out as often as I could. I never grew tired of reading about their adventures.
As a teenager and even an adult, I would occasionally search through the children's section of the library for this book, but was unsuccessful in finding it. However, last year I was in my local Bookshop looking for some books for my 9 year old niece. And wouldn't you know it...there it was! Not only the original Boxcar Children, but a whole series. I wasn't even aware they had a series. So without a doubt, I picked up my favorite children's book, among a few others, and gave them to my niece as a birthday gift. It was no surprise when she told me that The Boxcar Children was her favorite. I feel it's the perfect bedtime story book, and I can't wait to share it with my own children someday.
I am much older now, and I'm glad to say my literary repetoire has matured with age, but this children's book will always remain a favorite. I recently celebrated my 27th birthday, and my fiance has the hardest time finding me the perfect gift. We've been together almost 10 years, and in those years came a variety of gifts. Everything from clothes, overpriced dinners & shows, gold, pearls, and evens diamonds. But this year, he gave me one the the most heartfelt gifts. He gave me something that would allow me to escape the stress of my adult life when ever I need to. So there I sat staring at my gifts and silently guessing what trinkets I was about to receive. I slowly opened a plain brown cardboard box, unfolded the white tissue paper, and found laying at the bottom of the box, a hardcover edition of the original Boxcar Children. My most cherished gift--Thank you CB!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Boxcar Children, December 15, 1999
Rose Connelly (Williamsport, PA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Boxcar Children (Hardcover)
I discovered The Boxcar Children series when I was 8. Since then I have read the first 19 books (the works of the original author, Gertrude Chandler Warner) many times, and The Boxcar Children remains my favorite.
The idea of adventure and problem solving without adult interference is at the heart of every child's daydreams. Ms. Warner recognized this, and The Boxcar Children were created.
I would recommend the first 19 books to anyone who is looking for adventure and excitement!

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE this book!, November 13, 2004
This review is from: The Boxcar Children (Hardcover)
I am a 32 year old stay-at-home-mom and former teacher. I am so excited to find this hardcover with the ORIGINAL cover illustration. This is THE MOST memorable book from my childhood. I remember Mrs. Jordan reading it to us in 3rd grade I believe. It was SO suspenseful! I remember we would be disappointed when story time was over! I read it aloud to my first graders when I taught and they loved it too. (2nd grade may be the perfect read aloud age, but I think even young kids would enjoy it.) The word phrasing is very simple, which is nice. It's remniscent of the Dick and Jane books but much more realistic. I still remember as a child checking out this book from the library and running to the kitchen for milk and cheese so I could eat the same thing the children in the story were. I have bought the Boxcar Children Cookbook and plan on doing some of the "recipes" from the book with my preschool aged daughter and niece. BOY or GIRL, your kids will love this book, as a read aloud or read alone book, especially if you share your excitement of it first. Happy reading!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous book!, December 5, 1999
The Boxcar Children was (and still is) one of my favorite books. It was one of the first books that I started to read to my 3-year old. When my daughter Holly was 4 years old, she began to "recite" the book on her own. Now, as a first grader, she can actually read it on her own. We love all the characters and the storylines. This book truly is a classic.