Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Breadwinner
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on April 3, 2003
The BreadWinner is a fantastic book.It is full of adventure.It's about a little girl, named Parvana, who lives in Afghanistan during a time when girls weren't allowed to go outside without a man to work and get money. But one day her father went away to prison wich meant they had no other boy to go out and get the food and milk they needed. Soon they needed food so badly they shaved Parvana's hair off so she could look like a boy and could get the food.This was a new experience for Parvana. Every day she would go out and earn money by selling things or reading and writting letters for the people. Then she would buy the food for the family. If you want find out more about this book I think you should read it.
on March 4, 2005
The Breadwinner is a historical fiction book about the hard life in Afghanistan. A young girl has to dress as a boy to earn money for food. The woman can`t go outside without a man. Afghanistan at the time was ruled by a cruel Taliban group. The main characteris forced to dress as a boy because her father is in prison for being an educated man.One of the ways she got money is from digging up peoples bones from bomb rubble. This book is great because we learn about the hard life in other countries. This book is for grades five through seven.
on January 6, 2013
The story was good and the characters were well defined by dialogue and interaction with each other, but there was almost NO description of anything physical. The book is targeted towards preteen Americans, but the author used terms that would be unfamiliar to that demographic and then failed to define them in context. There was a glossary that I did not discover until ten pages before the end of the book.

Further, the dialogue was not always clearly attributed and I sometimes was confused about who had which part in a back and forth conversation. This would be especially difficult for 11-13 year olds, who have less-developed comprehension skills, to know what was going on.

There were hardly any descriptions of the environment, clothing, etc. It assumes that this audience knows what Afghanistan in the 90s looks like and feels like, which-- as a work that is meant to be a snapshot of a living experience for children who aren't from that country-- is uneffective.
on August 22, 2014
My daughter had to read this for school. She is a sensitive kid and found it very unpleasant to read and disturbing. I am sure the school system wanted the kids to see how life is like for others around the globe. I honestly don't know how effective reading this book was to their goal.
on July 8, 2015
My 11 year old absolutely loved this book and read it twice through in one day! My other kid then decided to pick it up and couldn't put it down either. I haven't read it, but the fact my kids were that absorbed in it has to say something!
on June 28, 2016
*Spoiler alert*

I am writing this as we read a lot of literature and non-fiction, and I was caught off-guard with this one. This one was recommended for 10-14 year olds so I thought I was fine. But there was cutting off of hands, animals eating bodies, domestic violence, digging up bones...way too many things for me to be comfortable with for my kids ages 9-12. My 11 year old at one point said, "Turn it off mom!" (We were listening to an audio version.) So this is not a good/bad review as I am aware that these things happen. Just a "be forewarned" review depending on the listeners.
on September 8, 2015
This was required summer reading for my daughter as she headed into middle school. She loves to read, but doesn't like to be told what to read. Now she wants to re-read this book and read the sequel too.
on April 9, 2014
I don't usually review books, but I wanted to make sure that I got this out there and that this is a must read for both men and women!

Reading this book was very shocking to me and I was impressed with the detail that the author was able to put into the book. My fiance' had previously read this book as a women's empowerment study and wanted me to take a look into how low things could get for women in comparison to men. I was absolutely blown away by "The Breadwinner" and recommend it to all men and women who want to see the flip side of how good we have it here in the US.

Be prepared to take a different perspective towards life after reading this book.
on December 19, 2013
I read this book for one of my elementary literacy classes and fell in love with it. The story is one of trials, sorrow, and strength. I think it's a great book for students to read so they can realize that life is very different outside of the US. It gives them perspective on what happens in other parts of the world. Wonderful book.
on May 19, 2014
Our daughter needed this for school. Library was out of it. It came 2 day shipping as promised (gotta love Prime) and I like the fact that it wasn't a download on the kindle. Very good book per her review (she is 11 yrs. old).