5.0 out of 5 stars A sanity saver!
Published on October 17, 2009 by Dawn Scott

2.0 out of 5 stars the breakup workbook
Great book for people who have never been through a breakup, otherwise not very helpful. The advice in this book comes from someone who took what they observed through their breakups and wrote down what works, there is no super great magical advice in here unless you are completely non-self aware and not in touch with common sense and intuition about how to deal with...
Published 22 months ago by Nicole

5.0 out of 5 stars A sanity saver!, October 17, 2009
This review is from: The Breakup Workbook: A Common Sense Guide to Getting Over Your Ex (Paperback)
Four years ago I was on top of the world...I had just graduated with my law degree, landed a new job, moved to a new town and had an amazing boyfriend with whom I was planning our future. Then, my boyfriend found someone else and dumped me. Suddenly, living in a town where I didn't know anyone wasn't exciting; it was terrifying, the new job was overwhelming and I felt more alone than I had ever felt in my life. It was all I could do to get out of bed; I spent my evenings holding my cell phone, listening to "our song" and sobbing into my pillow. I was utterly devastated. One sleepless night, I searched the internet for tips to surviving a breakup and thankfully, stumbled across The Breakup Workbook. The advice and coping tools within The Breakup Workbook was like a life preserver; it stopped me from drowning in a sea of self-loathing, sadness and heart break. In particular, The Workbook gave me tasks to focus on (like naming things I liked about my ex but also the things he had done to hurt me) that provided an outlet for my emotions. It also gave me a "game plan" (i.e. avoid contact with him) that helped me resist the temptation to call him 12 times a day and made me feel like I wasn't spiraling out of control. Simply put, this book (and the forum at [...]) saved my sanity. Equally important, it saved my ability/desire to be in a romantic relationship. I've had my heart stepped on a couple times in the past four years, and the first thing I do is pull out the Workbook. Each time, I've healed and put myself back out there in the hope of finding love. I am recently engaged to a wonderful man and am so thankful for The Breakup Workbook for helping my heart and spirit heal! I would highly recommend this book to anyone (man or woman) who has suffered a heartbreak and needs solid tools to help them cope.

5.0 out of 5 stars A surprising book with a punch., January 12, 2011
Rob from the North (Toronto, Ontario Canada) - See all my reviews
I just went through a rough break-up..well, I'm still going through it, and I purchased a few books on the ending of a relationship. Here's the thing.. most books will NOT make you feel better. It sucks to break-up, and you hit rock bottom at times, and you feel brutal. Period. The End. Problem is this, I tend to feel bad during breakups (even if the guy is a jerk) because I always think about the good things he does, and how he made me feel, and all the fun times. This obviously doesn't help.

Fast forward to me ordering the kindle version of this book. I started reading and then saw there were things to ask myself, and write down. Seriously.. to me, that is a reason to close a book. I hate doing 'introspective stuff' .. but it wasn't much about me, and more about the relationship. This made it interesting.. questions had to do with events in the relationship, impressions, behaviours etc. As I literally was in bed, and didn't feel motivated to even do anything, I opened a blank page in Word, and did it .. with Kindle half on the screen (I have kindle for mac) and Word on the other half. What an eye opener.

This book definitely helped. It allowed me to see things for what they really were. No book can help anyone unless someone really wants help, but this book kept my mind off calling or seeing him, and was an important step in the process. I admit that I read it several times to get me through my tough patches, and it helped. This book helped me realize that the person I was dating really wasn't the person i thought he was.. and this wasn't from the book's advice, but via my responses to the questions in the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Break-up Grief can now be a faster process-VERY HELPFUL, June 26, 2009
Breaking up with a guy at the age of 45 seems like it would be a little easier, with the experience and all...but not this time, and not for me. I grieved the ending of my last relationship for almost 3 years. The Breakup Workbook helped me to finally sort out my life, but him behind me, and MOVE ON. I recovered with a feeling of new self-worth and let go of much of the remorse and bad thoughts I had about him as well. I wish this book would have been out when I was in my early twenties. I'd probably be married happily by now instead of making the same mistakes for the past 15 years...THANK YOU MELYSHA for writing such an awesome and helpful guide! I STRONGLY RECOMMEND THIS WORKBOOK TO TEENS TO SENIORS WHO EXPERIENCE THE LOSS OF LOVE!

5.0 out of 5 stars A helpful book for someone coming out of a broken engagement, June 4, 2013
Purchased the kindle version of this book today, completed the first four exercises, and read quite a bit ahead (over three quarters of the way through the book). As someone trying to get over a recently broken engagement and three year relationship, this book is helpful. It is probably most helpful for someone that is reeling from a more significant breakup, perhaps someone's first breakup, or a breakup from a relationship that had lots of hopes and plans for a shared future. As someone in the latter category, it is helpful to have a step-by-step approach for getting up and out of the fugue and depression that follows a massive alteration of future plans.

This book asks a lot of questions that are helping me to think through why things didn't work out. For example filling out answers for "Exercise 4: Question your relationship" helped me realize that a lot of the things I had really loved about my ex, the non-superficial things, were mostly gone toward the end of our relationship. While some of the sections are less applicable for someone with a clear cut relationship ending, between this and my use of wiki's how to get over a broken engagement (http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Over-a-Broken-Engagement) it feels like there is a lot of solid good advice available to me.

One thing that might be improved is adding some guidance for people that are cohabitating and how to sort out the division of assets. The author suggests putting his things in a box and having a friend take it away which works for people with less of an ex's stuff. Something that helped for me was having my mom come over to help me pack up his things in boxes and stay until after he picked up his things that evening. Anything else I come across goes into a box in the back of my closet that I'll get to him when I move to avoid a need to reach out every time I find something else. It also helps handling anything related to finances via email to avoid confusion and also to again to avoid having direct contact.

5.0 out of 5 stars Got over him already!!!, July 31, 2009
This book was really straightforward and you can tell it was written by someone who has "been there." I loved the fact that I could actually write in the book and I also loved that there is an online community/blog that work with the book. It's like 24/7 encouragement and the people that I have met in the [...] forum have become my friends now.

I strongly encourage you to get this book, because it's not something that you'll read and put away. It's a book that you'll "do" and then keep doing until you're OVER your ex (like I am).

5.0 out of 5 stars When one door closes another opens, March 5, 2010
I went to the same High school as Melysha, but after graduation our paths seperated leading us to travel to variours parts of the world until our paths crossed again over facebook. I was really impressed and proud to read that an old classmate had written a book, let alone a book that everyone can relate too. Naturally, I bought it and I started reading it. As a woman that had encountered her share of heartbreaks, sorrows and dissapointments, I found through the Breakup workbook, a healthy way to relieve my demons. Through the turning of every page, you experience a level of confort to the point where you feel as if you were spilling your heart out to a friend, rather than through a book. It's a wonderful support system, which helps you live through the stages of a breakup without actually having to cry your eyes out, wonder in the streets as if you were in a pillow fight, or even experience insomia, or overdose on Ben and jerry. We will feel lost after a breakup as we need to resocialise ourselves without that special man/woman in your life. The Breakup workbook serves that purpose, as it gives you strenght, courage, and a helping hand to pick up the pieces and a shed a light at the end of the tunnel, where you begin to believe again in love, in romance, and in the endless opportunities that life has in store for you if you only dare to live. To sum up, this book confirms the belief in your heart, "When one door closes another opens".

4.0 out of 5 stars Getting dumped really sucks but this book isn't, November 13, 2012
I don't normally look for books like this but now I didn't regret that I stumbled upon this book after reading a book for women How To Get A Boyfriend: Unleash The Secret and Become A Happy Girlfriend. It is true that getting dumped really do suck and it will always be difficult to move on when that happens to you. This book has decent enough tips to make you realize that moving on is always the best answer to forget your ex. This book is fun, and will make you to realize that having fun is one way to forget the ex. period. And among other things.

5.0 out of 5 stars If You're Desperate to Heal Buy This Book!, February 23, 2010
All I know is, I had been living in pure agony for months, when I came across The Breakup Workbook and the companion website [...]. Within a week of applying the steps in the book and participating in the website forums, I could actually feel myself starting to act human again! Within a couple of weeks, I had to check the mirror to see if I was still me! "GONE" were the spontaneous episodes of crying while standing in line at the Grocery Store, the irresistable urge to send just "1 more text message", the constant daydreams about what was, could have been and might be again.

If you're feeling like your entire world has just been flushed down the toilet and you will NEVER EVER feel better, you aren't alone. You need to buy this book and work the steps, use the website and you will be amazed at how quickly your life will improve.

I would have bet my entire life savings that I was going to die of a broken heart, and now, just a few months since I began reading the Breakup Workbook, I keep asking myself "what was I thinking"! I'm not even sure why I was so upset to begin with!

Thank You M.J. Your Book and Website literally saved my life and transformed me!

5.0 out of 5 stars Greatest book on getting over your Ex ever written!, April 30, 2009
I loved this book! It helped me so much in getting over my ex. It kept me busy and made me think a lot about how the relationship was not working and helped me gain my self-esteem back. When I finished it, I did it again! I also used different exercises for smaller less painful breakups and to help me decide whether to say with someone or not. I highly recommend purchasing this workbook if you are going through a breakup, it's cheap and better than a lot of the breakup books out there!

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, April 11, 2013
I had no idea where to go, who to turn to. Therapy didn't work. Talking with friends. Writing letters. Nothing. Then - in one of those late night searches when I couldn't sleep - I found this book. And it has made all the difference in the world. I'm past the ex, past the pain of a longtime relationship ending, past the feelings of self doubt. Why? This book. Sometimes you need to find that one thing that can help you turn the corner. This was it. The author put it in terms I could understand. I felt like she was speaking to me and me alone. Thank you!!!!!!!!

The Breakup Workbook: A Common Sense Guide to Getting Over Your Ex
The Breakup Workbook: A Common Sense Guide to Getting Over Your Ex by Melysha Jane Acharya (Paperback - April 1, 2009)
$13.95 $10.03