Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Bridge at Chappaquiddick
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

on February 26, 2015
As other reviewers have noted, this book is terrible - DO NOT WASTE YOUR MONEY! It is chock-full of typos which is very distracting and irritating. The biggest problem is that while a speculation on what might have happened is offered in the end, it doesn't begin to tie up any of the loose ends of the mystery. I find it interesting that the original hard-cover book, printed in 1969 has a large question mark as the cover art work, and the phrase "Is this what really happened that night...", while the new Kindle version I bought has a cover which states "Senator Ted Kennedy, a young woman, and what really happened that night in 1969." That's a big change and very deceptive. The main title, "The Bridge at Chappaquiddick" is accurate, however, because you will find out everything you ever wanted to know about the bridge itself, just nothing new about what actually happened there.
on February 1, 2015
This book offers conjecture and speculation but zero proof. It is long on superfluous details with no bearing whatsoever on the night in question and only a very - very! - thin and unbelievable theory of an alternative version of events. I don't believe Senator Kennedy's version of events that night, but this poor excuse for investigative reporting sheds no new light on the subject, and certainly doesn't offer a credible alternative version.

Spoiler alert if you read on! If Senator Kennedy wasn't in the vehicle as this author claims, and the poor victim herself caused the accident, why in heavens name would a US Senator put himself in the vehicle and take the blame? Author offers no plausible explanation for Any of the dribble he has published here. Seriously, keep looking, this is not worth the read.
33 comments|40 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 8, 2014
Wanted to read this book for a few years, but my local library didn't have a copy. More than just a discussion of the events that occurred on the night of and the days after the accident, the author delves into Kennedy family history and Ted's rise from being the youngest of the boys to a young senator. And then it happened. Whether you believe Ted's story, or don't....whether you find Jack Olsen's conclusions logical, or not.....the fact remains - a young girl is dead. I think the author did a thorough and credible job, and wrote without bias. I was very young when this happened but old enough to remember my family discussing it at the dinner table.
on June 5, 2015
I gave this book two stars for a few reasons. Firstly, it is mostly a review of how Senator Kennedy came to power and a glowing discussion of what a good man he was. Even when mentioning his shortcomings the author turns them into positives by explaining that they just serve to show that Kennedy is, underneath it all, just a regular guy like the rest of us. I also felt that the author's conclusion about how the accident at Chappaquiddick "really" happened was unsupported by any facts and was an attempt to absolve the senator of any responsibility at all for what happened. I had hoped for an unbiased review of the incident with information both supporting Kennedy's version of events and information refuting it. Sadly, this book does not deliver on either count.
Another major reason I gave the book two stars is that it badly needed both a good proofreader and a good editor. There were numerous errors such as "pol ice" appearing in the text when the word police was meant. This type of error seemed to occur on almost every page and was very irritating. Many numbers such as 1963 would be written as I 163. And there were several locations where portions of the text were quotations but it was virtually impossible to know this because they were not italicized, nor were they placed within quotation marks. These problems were so irritating and distracting that I almost didn't finish the book. Somehow I slogged through, but was still left with a bad taste because of the book's obvious bias. Save your money
on February 8, 2015
I've always been interested in this case, and was glad to find this book, especially when I saw that Jack Olsen was its author. Unfortunately, it ultimately reaches a conclusion which is thoroughly dependent on conjecture and speculation. Disappointing.
on September 27, 2002
This is an extremely thorough and interesting examination of Ted Kennedy's Chappaquiddick incident, meticulously presenting and analyzing the evidence surrounding the case. The author's tenacity demonstrates that passion in a subject invariably will yield complete understanding of that subject. In this case, author Olsen concludes that Kennedy and Kopechne indeed were in the car together that night, but were frightened when it appeared a policman would stop them. Kennedy evidently panicked, not wanting to be caught in the auto with her, and he got out; she then drove away, toward the bridge and her death. Kennedy walked back to his hotel room, where someone saw him (dry and calm) a little later, seeking a newspaper. The seat in the car was set for Kennedy, meaning that a shorter driver on a dark night would not have exercised as much control of the vehicle as he... thus being vulnerable to running off the road.
So, Olsen concludes that Kennedy was not in the car, he wasn't present to dive repeatedly into the water to try to save her, and he didn't even know about the drowning until the following morning -- thus Kennedy was actually innocent of the general accusation that he caused her death. Problem is, he was in fact guilty of something equally dark, and you'll have to read the book to see Olsen's comments about that.
The author's passion was admirable. It reminded me of Robert Graysmith's pursuit of the Zodiac killer, his personal immersion in the case. "The Bridge" is a terrific book. Find a copy and read it.
on July 18, 2015
It took me weeks to finish this most boring book. Other books by this author were quite good. Disappointed and a waste of money.
on November 26, 2014
I hate the Kennedys.

Oh, it's nothing personal. It's just that they are Democrats, and while that is not necessary for my hate, it surely is sufficient.

A lot of Americans say ridiculous things such as, "Let's reach across the aisle!" or "Can't we just compromise?" when discussing politics. No, I won't. And no, we can't. There is a war going on, a political war, and it's pretty evident nowadays, what with the 2014 mid-term elections, and the nonsense that is going on in Ferguson, Missouri. As far as I'm concerned, you can blame the Democrats for burning down your town. After all, it's not the Republicans doing it. That's my story, and I'm sticking with it. Just like Ted Kennedy.

But I do like Jack Olsen. A lot. His work is always top-notch, seemingly no matter what the subject matter. I've read most of his true-crime books, especially ones written about serial killers. And I've even read "Night of the Grizzlies," serial murder in the animal kingdom against humans. And I've loved most of his books, and just liked only a few.

And unfortunately, I just only like "The Bridge at Chappaquiddick" (TBAC). And that's just barely. I could easily go with a three here, just based upon the ridiculous ending alone.

I will admit, I didn't know that much about this story before reading this book. I was only six when it happened, and I hadn't gotten into politics yet; I wasn't smart enough to hate the Kennedys yet. But my dad used to talk about that "Idiot Ted Kennedy guy" all the time, and how he "should go to prison," "rot in hell," or worst of all, "be forced to become a card-carrying Republican," for his crimes. And after reading the book, I would say that the late senator surely was guilty of something. And not just of being a Democrat.

Before you get all huffy, Mr. Kennedy did plead guilty to "leaving the scene of an accident," after all. But you know that he was probably guilty of more than that. Much has been made of Mr. Olsen's thesis on what really happened, and I urge you to jump to the next paragraph -- if you're still reading, my fellow "Democrat Friends," as yes, I'm only pretending to "reach across the aisle" -- to avoid a spoiler. And that thesis is: Mr. Kennedy wasn't even driving the car!

I think it would have been fine if Mr. Olsen had just written something like, "Now, this is a 'what-if' scenario, and I'm not saying that it happened this way. But hear me out, and it is interesting to think about." Instead, he made it seem as if this scenario is really what he believes, what really happened, and I say, "hogwash!" After all, Mr. Kennedy said that he was the driver immediately -- OK, maybe nine hours later, since he decided to sleep it all off before going to the police -- and there is no way in hell that he would have lied about this fact. It was too damning and too risky for him to say that he was if he wasn't. He would have even changed his story last-minute, before a trial, if he truly hadn't been driving.

But this is only a very small part of the book, so TBAC is only a minor disappointment, unlike most of the "Kennedy Boys," who I feel are "major disappointments." Once again, they are -- or rather "were" now that Ted is dead -- only Democrats. The rest of the book gives some really good background information on a family who believes that they are more important than they are, and suck ups in the local area who treat the Kennedys as such. But all kidding and snarkiness aside, this is, once again, a well-written morality tale. Other than that ridiculous ending.

What do I think happened? Occam's Razor should do the trick.

We know Mr. Kennedy was a drinker, and he very well might have been a womanizer. After all, he was a Kennedy, and this latter trait seemed to be in their general MO, although even if he wasn't it doesn't matter. At the very least, he was probably over-the-alcohol limit. Even if he actually wasn't, if he only THOUGHT he might be, my theory still may hold true. (Mr. Olsen's "logic" on this point is valid but unsound, as the author implies at least an either-or fallacy: Mr. Kennedy was either completely sober or Mr. Kennedy was completely drunk. Naturally, there are an infinite number of possible values in-between.). Indeed he was driving -- he admitted this himself, and stuck with this fact -- and accidentally drove off of the bridge. It's even possible some "extracurricular activity" might have been going on while he was driving, which would have surely stolen his attention. Ahem. (Once again, it doesn't matter. He was distracted enough by something to drive off the bridge.) If this version is true, he probably did try to save her, but as Mr. Olsen establishes, even the police chief couldn't pull her body out in the daylight, and that chief was a strong swimmer. So, Mr. Kennedy, fearing for perhaps manslaughter if he was found to be intoxicated, went back to the lodge to sleep it off; it supposedly requires one hour per drink to metabolize the alcohol, a fact undoubtedly that Mr. Kennedy knew. At any rate, I believe this is the most likely scenario, although there are many other possibilities, even the story Mr. Kennedy gave. I just don't believe his though. And oddly, his version is more likely than Mr. Olsen's. (I believe that the author was a liberal, so he might have lost objectivity here. Or, the author, over fear of a lawsuit, came up with a scenario where it was unlikely he would be sued. Either way, the author drove off the theoretical bridge himself with his theory.)

One interesting tidbit, not about this book per se: this is not yet available as of 2014-11-26 in the Kindle format, and I discovered that it is available for Nook. I had never bought a Nook Book until now. At any rate, the Nook experience is a nightmare. Their version of "ActiveSync" I call "Active Stink," as it doesn't work at all. I had to explicitly force a bookmark before leaving the book to return automatically to the correct page. Ouch. So I tried signing out, and signing back in. Nook deleted the book! So I had to download it again. And then, I found out it not only deleted the book, but it deleted the Dictionary! So I had to install the dictionary again. So I had to return to forcing bookmarks again. Yikes. Not to suck up to Amazon, but Kindle is far superior, which actually isn't saying much though.

I'll go with a minor recommendation though still, as after all, this is written by the "Dean of True Crime," Mr. Jack Olsen. But if you read it and like the ending? Well, I've got a Bridge at Chappaquiddick to sell you. Just make an offer in the Comment section and we'll negotiate.
on February 12, 2015
Very dull, never really gained much momentum. Tedious at best. Not clear why anyone would bother to write a book like this.
on July 28, 2007
As tragic and controversial as its subject may be, this dynamic work evokes a flavor of Edgartown and environs that stands unmatched. Regardless of one's opinion of Teddy K. and his cohorts and of the later information which may or may not negate the author's basic assumptions about the case, one is left here with simply a terrific read: boldly-presented characters and incidents, some humorous, some farcical; the mysterious nighttime goings-on on Chappaquiddick and off, pungent analysis of the accident, most of it novel--and a Hopper-esque portrait of an old resort locale bisected by the genteel and the rambunctious amidst flapping sails, the shouts of drunks in the night, classic residences, gamy fishing shacks and the "lightly saline scent of the sea".