5.0 out of 5 stars A reader for writers
Published 11 months ago by Thomas E. Davis

3.0 out of 5 stars Its a book... English Class Blows Its a book...
Its a book... Heavy made out of killed trees if you buy this book I feel sorry for you but you have to do what you have to do. Glad im done with it now its time for you to suffer MUAHAHAHAHH!
Published 5 months ago by Matias Pinedo

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A reader for writers, February 27, 2014
This review is from: The Brief Bedford Reader (Paperback)
People who are learning to write need to read a lot of good writing. This conveniently compact textbook presents over 500 pages of some of the best modern nonfiction, 50 essays by authors both renowned and lesser known. Their themes include childhood and family, class, community, cultural diversity, death, the envronment, ethics, food, globalization, history, immigration, law, media, memory, myth, popular culture, psychology, science and technology, social custom, violence, work, and much more.

Among the famous authors represented are those who have entered the canon of great literature: George Orwell, E.B. White, Maya Angelou, Martin Luther King, David Foster Wallace, Jessica Mitford, and others. Many of these authors are still active: Annie Dillard, Barbara Kingsolver, Richard Rodriguez, Amy Tan, Anna Quindlen, Guillermo del Toro, Michael Pollan, and so on. There are humorists like Russell Baker, David Sedaris, Sarah Vowell, and Dave Barry; travel writers like William Least Heat-Moon; and social commentators like Thomas Sowell.

In addition to essays, the book offers in-depth advice on how to read, evaluate, and respond to writing critically. In Part One, the authors help students analyze genre, language, meaning, audience, purpose, evidence, structure, and other aspects of nonfiction, make inferences, and synthesize their thoughts and research. Practice in drafting, revising, editing, paraphrasing, summarizing, quoting, and collaborating with others should give student responses lively, coherent, grammatical form. There are also detailed suggestions for avoiding plagiarism and citing sources.

Part Two, constituting the bulk of the book, breaks down the task of writing into ten methods: narration, description, example, comparison and contrast, process analysis, division, classification, cause and effect, definition, and persuasion. Student are guided though using these methods in a variety of appropriate contexts. After each sample reading, abundant questions for consideration, discussion, and writing are presented.

Part Three, entitled "Mixing the Methods," demonstrates to students how various authors have used more than one method in their essays. A thematic table of contents, a glossary of useful terms, and an index round out the book. As an English instructor of more than 30 years' experience, I recommend it highly.

5.0 out of 5 stars :D, September 27, 2011
This review is from: The Brief Bedford Reader (Paperback)
it's a good book. a lot of stories, and a lot to learn. Easy to use and practical. Buying this book in amazon i save money, and it was in really good conditions ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars More Than What I Paid For!, September 17, 2014
This review is from: The Brief Bedford Reader (Paperback)
This book came in a lot sooner than anticipated. Plus it's in amazing, amazing condition I feel they low balled themselves when describing this used book! Barely any wear and no tear at all. The edges are perfect as well. No discoloration or writing in the book. I've seen my classmates used copies of this book and theirs are really beat up. I'm really impressed and satisfied. When I sell it back to my school after my class I'm positive I'll get a great amount back if I keep it in the wonderful condition it came it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, July 3, 2014
This review is from: The Brief Bedford Reader (Paperback)
I used this book for my English class and I really enjoyed it. It's very useful! I love the collection of works inside to represent each type of paper I was supposed to write. It's helpful and it helped me get an A on every paper I wrote.

Even though I'm renting it, I will consider buying it for future reference.

3.0 out of 5 stars Its a book... English Class Blows Its a book..., August 15, 2014
This review is from: The Brief Bedford Reader (Paperback)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Bedford Reader is packed full of timeless essays and wonderful instructive chapters, June 21, 2013
This review is from: The Brief Bedford Reader (Paperback)
I love the wide variety of essays that were chosen for this publication. The questions are very thought-provoking, and the instructive chapters are easy to read and understand.

4.0 out of 5 stars Helpful Book, October 5, 2012
This review is from: The Brief Bedford Reader (Paperback)
This book has been very helpful to me this semester in college. It's alot like textbook I used in my ap lang class so it was very familiar to me. Worth the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great!, October 2, 2012
This review is from: The Brief Bedford Reader (Paperback)
Needed this book for my communications class. Came in the next day (earlier than expected). Great quality, and some of the stories are actually pretty interesting

5.0 out of 5 stars The Brief Bedford Reader, February 26, 2013
This review is from: The Brief Bedford Reader (Paperback)
The Brief Bedford Reader is an excellent resource that is extremely helpful and practical to have. I received the textbook in perfect condition.

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy camper!!, February 7, 2014
This review is from: The Brief Bedford Reader (Paperback)
These both look brand new!! So glad I didn't pay full price :) it's exactly what I wanted and hoped I got, I'm really happy with my purchase!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Brief Bedford Reader
The Brief Bedford Reader by Jane E. Aaron (Paperback - February 10, 2011)
Used & New from: $3.05