5.0 out of 5 stars The Secrets of Frank Mundo's The Brubury Tales, September 10, 2010
VLD (California, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Brubury Tales (Paperback)
Only a few of us were privy to Frank's writing process during those eight long years when he worked the graveyard shift as a security guard and "moonlighted" as a writer.

Most people probably came to the conclusion that the rhythmic finger-tapping that Frank would do while standing there guarding the Getty Museum's masterpieces was some sort of a nervous twitch . . .

. . . except Frank's finger-tapping was his "handy" method of utilizing iambic pentameter - a commonly used metric in traditional verse and verse drama. The resulting music of his writing is the natural rhythm you'll sense when you read The Brubury Tales.

Even occasionally writing a fast note on a small notepad that he "hid" in his security guard uniform shirt was also nothing out of the ordinary . . .

. . . except that small notepad captured complex moments of Frank's thoughts - sometimes taking weeks to work out just one sentence - or even just one word. Just know that when you read one short sentence from The Brubury Tales that one short sentence could have taken weeks to work out until that very moment when it was finally written down in Frank's notepad.

When you follow the rhythm of Frank's words in every line of The Brubury Tales the results are a visual story which seems deeply personal to Frank - and his audience. No knowledge of Chaucer or his Canterbury Tales is required in order to enjoy Frank's work. It's an equally enjoyable read either way. I can speak from experience on this.

There are secrets, great secrets in Frank's words. You may see you name appear or "hear" a familiar story. Frank writes in a personal style that embraces a combination of reality and imagination. It's his brilliant talent along with his personal writing style that makes his writing so appealing to everyone from the "authority" to the everyman.

I'm so grateful to all who were there for Frank - then and now - all of us who really know. Thank you.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book!, December 2, 2010
This review is from: The Brubury Tales (Paperback)
This is a wonderful piece of literature that was hard to put down. The characters were brought to life in the writing. A definite must read!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully Written, July 29, 2012
Candi Sary (CA United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Brubury Tales (Paperback)
Frank Mundo is one talented writer. I've never read anything like The Brubury Tales. It's beautifully written and quite impressive that the whole novel stays in verse. I wasn't familiar with all of the classics related to the story but I loved the story for what it was on its own. And I enjoyed getting to know the characters through his poetic eyes, like when I first met Rolla: "But Rolla was different, she smelled so good, Like chocolate, jasmine and sandalwood." There were so many lines where I had to stop and just take in their beauty before moving along. The Brubury Tales was such an enjoyable read, and Frank Mundo truly is an exceptional talent.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Rhythm Just Flows....and the beat goes on, September 23, 2011
This review is from: The Brubury Tales (Kindle Edition)
After reading Gary, the Four-Eyed Fairy and Other Stories I knew I had to read more from Frank Mundo. The only problem was the fact that this was written utilizing iambic pentameter and that scared the craaaap out of me! I felt like I had to put on my big girl panties to tackle this! So I sucked in a deep breath and dove in and I was blown away. To say Frank writes with style, passion and soul just begins to scratch the surface! His talent makes it seem so simple and easy. These stories and people (they are not just characters) will stay with you. I loved the premise of the whole book. And the fact that Frank makes an appearance in the book as the head boss cracked me up! It just makes you wonder if each and every actor is a piece of Frank also. I will read anything Frank Mundo writes, even if he chooses to use iambic pentameter again!
Thank you for sharing your stories with the world!

5.0 out of 5 stars A work of Poetic Genius!, November 28, 2010
This review is from: The Brubury Tales (Paperback)
While The Brubury Tales is billed as a modern version of The Canterbury Tales in Los Angeles just after the riots, the best part about the book and the stories collected within is the fact that you don't really need to know The Canterbury Tales or the other stories to appreciate Frank Mundo's work. His security guards and the interaction between them is really, for me, the highlight of the book. Mundo clearly took special care to make their stories authentic. Before you know it, the poetry disappears and what's left is the best part of our humanity: the stories that connect us and divide us and shape our community. If you only read one book of poetry this year, The Brubury Tales will not disappoint.

5.0 out of 5 stars Bravo!, June 5, 2012
This review is from: The Brubury Tales (Kindle Edition)
Not only is this a read off the beaten path, but you may just sing along with The Brubury Tales rhythmic cadence. Frank Mundo clearly has a unique style and talent!

5.0 out of 5 stars "The Brubury Tales", A Masterpiece!, June 3, 2012
This review is from: The Brubury Tales (Paperback)
This book is a masterpiece! I could enjoy historic cycles, suspense and the flow of an amazing, rhymed poetic style that Frank is able to keep throughout the story telling. Reading it, I could constantly find myself turning the pages so fast, my apprehension about the outcome of each situation and "the willing to know what happens next", continuously grew... It also seemed like each character could actually become a new story to develop, in yet another book, another poetic novel, the depth and the tridimensional descriptions of each character, makes this book unique, a "MUST READ!" - (Laura LME)

5.0 out of 5 stars Humorous and Beautiful Language, Storytelling, and Characters, November 27, 2010
This review is from: The Brubury Tales (Paperback)
I really enjoyed reading this book. It is humorous, insightful, and beautifully written. Frank Mundo's use of language is as engaging as his storytelling. You don't have to live in Los Angeles to find this book meaningful, but if you do live here, it is a breath of fresh air to experience the richness of the real characters who live here.

5.0 out of 5 stars hard to put down!, November 27, 2010
This review is from: The Brubury Tales (Paperback)
Mr Mundo captures you with his poetry verses and Each of his characters suck you into their stories. A fun book that you will find hard to put down....

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-Read, Chaucer Would Be Pleased!, November 25, 2010
This review is from: The Brubury Tales (Paperback)
As someone who typically reads lighter fare, I wasn't sure how I would like this book. I had enjoyed The Canterbury Tales in high school, but wasn't sure whether this modern-day version would hold my interest. As soon as I began the first tale, I found myself drawn in, dying to know what happens next!

The tales vary widely in style and theme - some are very sweet, while others are quite haunting. Everyone will have their favorites. There are a few that I would love to see developed into their own books down the road, as they left me wanting more. It's also worth noting that the language Frank Mundo uses is beautiful, he put a lot of care and cleverness into his rhymes.

If you're looking for a unique read, one that will entertain you with remarkable storytelling and beautiful use of (modern) English, then treat yourself to this book!

The Brubury Tales
The Brubury Tales by Frank Mundo (Paperback - June 11, 2010)
Used & New from: $8.95