5.0 out of 5 stars Charming cozy mystery with droll sense of humor
Published on February 14, 2007 by Christina Lockstein

3.0 out of 5 stars A mystery story set in the 1920s
This series is well written, and the characters are rounded and believable. The setting is nicely curious, being a local fair with strange goings on.
Published on July 23, 2010 by Judith G. Bronsonstem Svcs

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming cozy mystery with droll sense of humor, February 14, 2007
This review is from: The Burry Man's Day: A Dandy Gilver Murder Mystery (Dandy Gilver Mysteries) (Hardcover)
The Burry Man's Day by Catriona McPherson is the second book in the Dandy Gilver series. I've been reading lots of cozy mysteries that take place in late Victorian to Edwardian times, and this series truly stands out from the pack. Dandy is an upper-class socialite with two boys she's happy to leave in the care of their nanny and a husband she has a tolerant affection for, but she's looking for more out of her life. Nothing too serious though, she is altogether too sophisticated for heavy thought. Dandy is spending a holiday at her friend Buttercup's new castle in Scotland. A local festival involving a Burry Man has become controversial with the advent of the Temperance movement. When the Burry Man drops dead in front of the entire town, Dandy determines to discover who murdered the poor man. McPherson's character are on occasion stereotypes, but she infuses them with such charm that all is forgiven. She has a terrific ear for dialogue, and the witty repastes that fly between characters readily brought a smile to my face. Dandy is always ready with droll and often self-deprecating asides. Her sheer honesty about her ambivalence toward her husband and children is endearing, as awful as that sounds. I became frustrated in the middle of the book when Dandy seemed to be deliberately ignoring a vital clue, but the fast paced climax and unexpected twist at the end more than made up for it. While Dandy is a cozy character, McPherson manages to throw in a few serious elements that are all the more powerful because of the light tone of the book. The book is entirely satisfying and definitely worth the read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Favorite Dandy So Far, November 23, 2011
Jill (California, USA) - See all my reviews
This was the first Dandy mystery I read (it's the second of the series) and is still my favorite. Knowing nothing about it but drawn in by the cover art (who wouldn't be, do admit), I brought it along on an overseas flight as my "back up book," not knowing what to expect. Dandy kept me entertained for many a cramped, uncomfortable hour and had me laughing out loud many times. I love original mysteries of the 1920s and 30s, and though there are quite a few modern series set in those decades, I haven't warmed up to any except this one and one other (Phryne Fisher). McPherson's language rings true to the period - and the dialogue never sounds phony or forced. It was like discovering a book from the golden age of mysteries that I'd never read before. The 1920s can be handled badly by some modern writers - verging on parody - but not McPhereson. She shows considerable skill in throwing cocktail parties and giving characters nicknames like Buttercup and a yen for lounging pyjamas without it ever sounding clichéd. It's also intelligent - so while enjoyable and relaxing, it isn't too light, as some neo-`20s mysteries can be (the ones that have to explain any and every literary allusion to be sure we get it).

McPherson bestows Dandy with not only wit and wry humor, but also authentic biases of her time and status (upper class, though I wouldn't describe her as an "aristocratic socialite"); I would add that the latter is subtle. I particularly admire the handling of Dandy's relationship with her maid: on one hand it's rather nanny/child, with Dandy, though the employer, either meekly submiting to Grant's wishes or fearing her disapproval (this occasionally has bearing on her detecting). But, Dandy, a woman who has always had a maid, doesn't confuse her employee for a friend; McPherson doesn't draw undue attention to this fact, however.

Of course as soon as I got home I had to look up the Burry Man and found him every bit as scary as Dandy/McPherson describes - nightmares and daymares.

4.0 out of 5 stars More than met the eye, February 9, 2013
I was disappointed in this book most of the way through the story. It was like one of those meringue candies that melts away in your mouth and doesn't have much of a taste. Empty calories. The upper-class 1920s heroine, Dandy, and her pals didn't have an ounce of weight to them. "Enough already," I thought as the tale progressed, or more accurately, "not enough at all."

The plot pulled a 180 on me with its climax and denouement. The tone of the story changed, as did my opinion of it.

I figured out the mystery's switcheroo a number of pages before Dandy. However, there was another, larger, darker switcheroo coming that I did not foresee, and it was a heart-breaker. What started out as a silly adventure of upper class twits among the Scottish village folk ended as a deeply affecting story of how the Great War was still tragically destroying lives five years after its official end.

So if you get this book and at first don't like it because it is too light and silly, stay with it to the end and see what you think. I'm not sure if I'll read another book in the series, but I am glad I did not give up on this one.

5.0 out of 5 stars I've found my new favourite mystery writer., July 13, 2011
The Bury Man's Day was the first of Catrione McPherson's mysteries I read (in retrospect I wish I'd read them in order), and I was hooked immediately. The ascerbic observations of the main character are wonderful, as are the bizarre supporting cast and the subtle insertion of period detail. Without beating you over the head with exposition, McPherson really manages to convey how different the 1920s were--the clothes, the manners, and the preoccupations of the characters all create a marvellous sense of time and place.

3.0 out of 5 stars A mystery story set in the 1920s, July 23, 2010

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic!, February 4, 2014
This was great fun to read and I am a bit sad it's finished! On to the next one! I really love how we get to solve the case along with Dandy, figuring things out when she does and being surprised when she gets it first! Wonderful book!

4.0 out of 5 stars The Burry Man's Day, July 22, 2013
An enjoyable read. The author obviously is familiar with Scotland and it's customs and folklore. The storyline all fits together to make a satisfying mystery .

5.0 out of 5 stars Dandy Gilver: A Burry Man's Day, May 5, 2013
My first acquaintance with Dandy Gilver. First-rate writing - a refreshingly different slant on the detection novel. I'll certainly be reading more of these.

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoy stories set in this time period, March 14, 2013
Well written. Historical details very accurate. The years after WW

I think that the years just after WWI were really interesting. In the U.S. stories and movies set in the 20's tend to be about flappers and gangsters not real seeming people. Dandy is both believable and likable. The author writes well and knows her history.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved this book!, March 25, 2010
tme (Washington D.C.) - See all my reviews
This book was so enjoyable I hated to put it down. I hope someone makes a mini-series of these Dandy Gilver books, she is a great character.

The Burry Man's Day: A Dandy Gilver Murder Mystery (Dandy Gilver Mysteries)
The Burry Man's Day: A Dandy Gilver Murder Mystery (Dandy Gilver Mysteries) by Catriona McPherson (Hardcover - August 18, 2006)
Used & New from: $0.44