5.0 out of 5 stars A Man of Belief, A Man of Action
Is this a business book? Or a mirror? Rare is the day you find both in one book, but Tom Asacker delivers. He tackles big questions like what drives us to do what we do and how behavior can be changed by altering belief. Mind then matter.

Published 20 months ago by David Burn

1.0 out of 5 stars Waste of time
I have read hundreds of business books and this is the first one that I have been compelled to review. Although the title sounds great, it is a total waste of time. It has been slapped together and does not explain the "how" as it purports to in the title.
Published 18 months ago by hoodle

5.0 out of 5 stars A Man of Belief, A Man of Action, April 15, 2013
This review is from: The Business of Belief: How the World's Best Marketers, Designers, Salespeople, Coaches, Fundraisers, Educators, Entrepreneurs and Other Leaders Get Us to Believe (Paperback)

There is an economy of language in this book that unfolds like a Zen koan. When you write like this, your ideas are flowers that bloom when the reader waters them with their attention.

Personally, I feel a renewed sense of purpose after reading the book, and the need to adjust or "redesign" some of my actions, which will hopefully create more success for more people. Somehow, Asacker gets me to believe it's all possible, and even likely, provided I have an action plan to strengthen my own core beliefs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Useful and insightful, May 25, 2013
Weighing in at 121 pages but packed with thought provoking and life changing ideas. Asacker boils it down :facts do not persuade, beliefs do;a belief will persuade if we freely choose it, and it is not imposed upon us(he talks about a little known aspect of the Milgram experiments, namely, that the subjects stopped hitting the electrical shock button when they were told, "You have no other choice, you must go on.";we become the stories we tell ourselves, and we have the power to pick the story; and if we change our behavior we can change our beliefs. A worthwhile read, especially considering most books on these topics are three times as long and three times as much.

5.0 out of 5 stars A great treatise on effective leadership, May 6, 2013
Asacker makes the case for a fresh approach in leadership, one involving the critical element of belief. From the prologue, "This book is about understanding belief - what it is and how it is created. And it's about how successful people inspire and move others, or how, in my lingo, they practice the business of belief." In this well-reasoned and inspiring monograph Asacker presents his argument in three parts: What they know; What they do; What you can do. Filled with profound insights and thought-provoking suggestions, Asacker's crisp narrative style is a refreshing departure from the tenor typical in the business book. An excellent addition to the Asacker oeuvre, I would recommend this outstanding book to anyone involved in the difficult work associated with motivating or persuading others. Moreover, let me suggest this is an important must-read for all leaders. "At its core...altering someone's beliefs is not an act of short-lived persuasion; it's an act of leadership..."

5.0 out of 5 stars It serves its purpose, July 23, 2013
It comes as no surprise that in this modern world of ours books like the one at hand find easily their way to the electronic bookshelves. The need to succeed is today more pressing than ever. Whether you're a secretary or a businessman, an inventor or an entrepreneur you always have to be at the top of your game if you want to achieve your goals. And it all begins with belief.

The author has created a handy guide that can prove useful to people whose aim is to reach the top at whatever it is they are doing. He seems to speak from a position of authority as he dispenses his advice to one and to all, and seeks to show the reader the way to follow their dreams. Nothing comes easy in this world, and that's a well known fact. What is also well known is the fact that where there's no effort there's no reward. This book wants to make that effort a little bit easier, and more rewarding.

I have to admit that what I liked the most here was the positive aura. The author made me believe in... The Business of Belief and that's quite the feat. This book has inspired me, but it has also lead me to discover some other useful tomes, like Getting Things Done the David Allen Way with Evernote by Dominic Wolff that went a long way in making my life at the office much easier, and opening my eyes to new possibilities. Overall, I'd say that this guide more than served its purpose.

4.0 out of 5 stars A small book with a big idea, May 29, 2013
Over the years, I've read a number of Tom's books. His grasp on brands and business is as insightful as it is unexpected. Here in The Business of Belief, Tom explores how people's biases and convictions drive their behavior. He provides excellent examples of where people's beliefs have aloud them to overcome otherwise impossible obstacles. I strongly suggest this book to anyone who's looking to motivate themselves or others.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Invaluable Little Book for Business and Life, July 12, 2013
I've read and enjoyed all of Tom Asacker's books and The Business of Belief is his crown jewel. If you're frustrated or perplexed by the decisions and indecisions made by you or your boss, CEO, colleagues, customers, prospects, spouse, children or anyone else, this book will open your eyes and mind.

Every page is packed with thought-provoking insights, masterfully threaded together with the author's beliefs and experiences, and reinforced with priceless quotes and examples from some of the greatest minds from diverse fields.

In this book, Tom provides the key to unlock our own dispositions and understand how to influence and motivate others. He speaks and writes from the heart and his passion and authenticity oozes from the pages.

Tom writes, "Desire is the spark that ignites your beliefs and fuels your actions." Whatever you desire in business and life, The Business of Belief will help you achieve it. Buy this book and you won't stop reading it over and over again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Seriously? Less than $10. This book will make you millions, April 21, 2013
I am totally on Ah-ha overload right now! Buy this book. Make it your manifesto. It immediately gets to the heart of why we do what we do. With this knowledge I was able to come to immediate realizations on how to quickly communicate our brand proposition, how to tap into what drives our clients behaviors and instantly discover ways to help them improve their desired outcomes. WOW! Thank you, Tom. Mission accomplished. Lynda McNutt Foster, VP, Voltage Leadership Consulting

5.0 out of 5 stars Believing Is Seeing, April 16, 2013
Does the title to this review seem backward? Get used to it. In this short but powerful read, Tom Asacker will unravel most of what you held true about motivating behavior in others and yourself. While I came at the book from the perspective of a brand marketer, I quickly realized that "The Business Of Belief" is much bigger and grander than that (albeit in a small package). It surely has implications for marketing, but reaches farther into leadership, change management, sales, and just life in general. Don't over-think this. Buy it now and get prepared to have your mind blown.

5.0 out of 5 stars Are you leading or following? Thinking or believing?, May 14, 2013
For the last several years, we've been waiting for things to get better except they've been staying the same, but in a much noisier marketplace. BELIEF sheds light on the why.

Tom Peters was right. This one needs to be taken slow; every sentence deserves time and thought. I wanted to read it all the way through first, and now I will go back, read, let my mind wander, take notes. By the time you get to Part Three: What You Can Do, Mr. Asacker has built up the information so well that the last section is the blast for your mind. It gives you so much to think about, and if you are so compelled, will move you in a new direction.

Anyone sitting in the C-suite needs to read this book, and open their mind to the possibilities.

4.0 out of 5 stars more questions than answers..., May 9, 2013
Interesting collection of stories...some intriguing, some useful, some disturbing, some provocative. This book challenged me to think differently...reading it I felt I must experience the world thru a very different set of beliefs than the author. I don't agree with all of his conclusions, if they are conclusions, and I finished the book with more questions than answers...perhaps that was the author's intention.