Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on March 2, 2010
In order to get a jump on this a few weeks ahead of print, I got the e-book version direct from Apress.

And what a treasure trove of great ideas & resources it is! Anyone interested in the business side of doing iPhone apps (and indeed, mobile apps in general) will find a lot of valuable info here.

In fact, this has to be one of the most comprehensive surveys of information & hard-won wisdom in the entire mobile sector (and much of this knowledge could certainly be applied to other platforms as well).

The author(s) cover an array of different topics, including:
- doing effective market research
- a great section on intellectual property and legal issues
- user interface design tips
- pricing strategies and case studies of different business models
- methods of distribution
- how to write an effective press release
- savvy marketing via web, blogs, Facebook, Twitter, et al
- and more ...

Moreover, they've have mapped out the chapters to correspond very logically into Planning / Development / Release phases ... and most importantly, the content consistently exudes experience and insight.

So, bottom line: I'd say this title is a no-brainer for anyone serious about doing business in the still-nascent -- and largely uncharted -- mobile space.

And as for me, I'm especially looking forward to perusing this little gem even more ... on my shiny new iPad. :)

Sweet!

~~~

Apress has created a number of great titles in just the past year or so, and if this is any indication of what's to come, they'll continue to be a preferred vendor for this kind of informative content.
on November 4, 2010
Pros:
Great information and tips on how to make and market your apps. It think the authors are right on the money and know what they are talking about.

Cons:
Reading the date of publication you might think that the book has updated information but it doesn't. It's like they wrote it back in 2008 and they published it after two years. You can't afford to take that long to publish a book (specially a tech book). Also, I skipped the the coding parts throughout the book, I think it should be either a programming book or a Business Book, not both.
on February 23, 2011
A book choked full of very insightful information. Albeit a bit offline with reference to the current state of the art - but for a book to be so it would need to be reprinted every second month - it still offers really a lot of information I personally found nowhere else. From the idea of querying users for a review or the possibility of posting information over Facebook to the possibility of having a title for your application different from the name of the application and so keyword stuff-able to the need of asking Apple for an authorization for using the [Available on the Apple Store] badge on your website.
The book follows developers from the inception of their project to the submission to the Apple Store and beyond but may also benefit developers, like myself, that have already successfully introduced their applications to the market.
on November 19, 2010
As a first time app developer I have found this to be an indispensable resource. There are so many things to know about when launching your app for the first time and this book has it all in one place. Marketing, legal, design, etc. It even includes the particulars of provisioning for the iPhone (which is ridiculous arcana that I would love to see explained conceptually somewhere); hand holding that I appreciated.

I saw that the worst review here said that it was out of date. I did not encounter anything that I thought was out of date. And while I agree that technical details don't fall under the business category, they are germane to getting the business done and I appreciated that the info I needed was all in one place/book.

In short, if you've never been through the iPhone app gauntlet before and are serious about having your app do well, buy this book. It's great value for the money.
on April 25, 2011
A friend of mine and I aren't developers, we are just two dudes with a good idea (so we think). I found this book on Amazon and took it with me on vacation to Cancun. Let me just say, I hate reading, I'd rather run a marathon (I'm 300lbs) than read on a consistent basis. I could not put this book down, it's got it all. It has all the basics to protect your idea, set up your idea, links and resources to get all your need materials from, what you need before you send for submittal, what you need to do to set up your website, what you do to market before the app releases, what you do to market after it releases, how to make money within your free app, how to price your paid app and so on and so forth. This book has hopefully jumpstarted my entrepreneural business career. THANK YOU!
on April 1, 2010
If you are like me, learning about the world of iPhone programming is an ongoing quest. I have been through numerous texts, and sadly, quite a few have fallen by the wayside. The good news is I think I've found the best book on this subject so far:' The Business of iPhone App Development: Making and Marketing Apps that Succeed by Dave Wooldridge published by Apress.

Don't look for the usual line-by-line code how-to. There are plenty of sources out there for this kind of thing. This book has some very useful bits of programming advice and sections of code, that I totally intend to use. Wooldridge knows his stuff, but the vast majority of his ideas cover marketing and how to position the Apps you make. You can man-up and make the juiciest app computing has ever known, but honestly - do you know how to get it out there? Beat the competition? Have foursquare rate you "King of the Lab?" No? Yeah, my point exactly. The only other book out there on the market covering this territory is Starting an iPhone Application Business For Dummies'' Yeah, Dummies. Mr. Wooldridge's book is vastly superior.'

Wooldridge gave me the useful intel right from Chapter 1. Here's a little nugget we all cannot do without: The book recommends to set-up your iTunes Connect Contract with Apple, even before your App is completed. If this isn't done Apple will not be able to pay you. Even though my App is not completed yet, I went ahead and did this step. I have high hopes for my little brainchild and so should you.

He gives absolutely priceless advice about naming your app. I won't give it away, but let's just say that any app named supercalifraglisticexpialidocious is doomed to the dustbin of app history

Free agents need to know their way around the business law pertaining to app development and the myriad ramifications involved the process including pricing. To charge or not to charge? That is the question. Wooldridge out of the kindness of his heart takes you there, and in-depth too. These chapters are survival manuals for working with freelance contractors and also companies outside your own.

Test accounts and the all important Submissions process are given a thorough run down before he introduces you to the world of marketing and buzz.' Twitter and Facebook are discussed as well as creating an appealing website that will be viewable on a iPhone. Also, discussed are more traditional means such as email marketing using Constant Contact.

The Business of iPhone App Development: Making and Marketing Apps that Succeed' Hey, I've got my copy. And I'm ahead of you on line. Now go get yours!''
on May 24, 2010
This book is a great read.

We as a company develop iPhone apps and we find that the information presented in this book is both informative and complete. The steps needed to get your application published and everything that leads to it are in this book. This has been a great tool for one of our new developers - a training material. It is full of information that would have taken a lot of time for any of our employees to impart on him. An absolute steal as far as the ROI is concerned.

Also, our apps are made for purpose of selling, but I really like the emphasis that Dave Wooldridge and Michael Schneider have placed on how to use applications as a marketing tool to get to additional sales. Just brilliant! We highly recommend the book!
on October 14, 2010
Great book for rounding out your apps. Practical, hands-on advice as well as textbook-style guidance and advice from someone who has been in the trenches. Very current too - Twitter/Facebook integration, in-app sales. Reading this has really given me ideas for how to extend my app and make it that much better. Actual code examples go a long way to making abstract ideas a reality. Thank you for writing this. As an Apress author myself, I appreciate the care and effort you put into this book.
on April 19, 2011
This book is an absolute must-have book for anyone building iOS applications for the App Store.

I am currently working on my first iPad application and had been struggling with learning about In-App Purchases for my app. I had been reading Apple's documentation and getting bits of information and code from various blogs and forums, but then I found this book. Thanks goodness, because it helped me add In-App purchasing to my app in just a few days. It explained all the steps much better than anything else and walked me through everything I needed to do... from writing the code to setting everything up in my iTunes Connect account. For this alone, the book was worth at least 50x the price of the book!

And that's just one example. The book is packed with useful information and here are the other areas I found to be most helpful:

- App Submission Process - walks you through all the steps, tells you what to consider at each step, and gives you much confidence knowing you have all your ducks in a row.
- Marketing your App - there's a lot of coverage of how to market your app and many links to resources online that I found invaluable.
- In-App Advertising - discusses implications of using ads, lists all the different ad networks, and provides code and step-by-step process for using Apple's iAd platform.
- Competitive Research - great discussion on things to consider before you start out with lots of online resources to assist you.

Thanks to the authors as I am so grateful they wrote this book. It has given me a ton of confidence in preparing for my initial release and has helped me build a much better app.
on January 17, 2011
Step-by-Step click guides through the Apple iPhone app submission process, and also the preliminary design and marketing activities a developer ought to begin months before. Might even provide some hints for other Mac developers. Worth reading.