5.0 out of 5 stars The Butterfly's Treasure is a literary and artistic treasure, December 19, 2009
This review is from: The Butterfly's Treasure (Hardcover)
The Butterfly's Treasure by Schim Schimmel is one of the most beautiful, awe-inspiring books I have ever seen. The vibrant colors on the cover alone inspire dreams of far-away places. Each turn of the page reveals another jaw-dropping, inspirational view of some of the world's most majestic creatures and places. As I read this book to my class of 3-6 year-olds, I was moved by their exclamations as they saw each painting.

The story itself is just as inspiring as the artwork. Young Caterpillar is the last of this season's monarchs. He meets Old Monarch, who is the last of last season's monarchs. Old Monarch wishes to impart his wisdom upon the young caterpillar, and proceeds to tell him of his travels around the world over the last year to find treasure. Old Monarch encounters some of the greatest creatures around the world, including brown bears, polar bears, seals, elephants, lions, gorillas, tigers, snow leopards, penguins, dolphins, and wolves. He finds them in the most beautiful locations around the world. Young Caterpillar realizes that the whole world is a treasure to cherish, and after becoming an adult monarch, sets off to seek it for himself.

Following the reading of the story, I went around the circle and asked the children to tell me what some treasures were. A few mentioned jewels and pirate's gold. But even at their young ages, most were able to identify that animals, people, and nature were things to be treasured. This is testimony that Schim Schimmel's message is easily conveyed to even the youngest reader.

Schim Schimmel is the artist/author for three other books that have garnered international attention for their artistry and message: Dear Children of the Earth -- A Letter From Home, Children of the Earth...Remember, and The Family of the Earth. All of these titles are perennial favorites in my classroom and those of my colleagues. The Butterfly's Treasure will earn a place of honor next to them on the shelf. I'm already eagerly anticipating his next work!

Andrea Coventry is a reviewer for [...].

5.0 out of 5 stars Aimed at children age 5-10, and lovers of the planet everywhere, November 21, 2009
This review is from: The Butterfly's Treasure (Hardcover)
"Butterfly's Treasure" by author and illustrator Schim Schimmel is an exquisitely illustrated children's fable about a magic Monarch butterfly's enchanted journey. The oldest of last year's butterflies, or "Monarch" decides to tell a tale of his quest for treasure and magical journey to the youngest of the caterpillars, and the last to go to sleep. What follows is a beautiful series of wondrous images of a vast variety of living creatures all over the globe we call earth. At the end, as young caterpillar is preparing to go to sleep, he asks "...Old Monarch, you never told me where you found your treasure." Old Monarch answers, "...This entire world is your treasure, and all its living creatures are its jewels." As young Caterpillar thinks about this and prepares to sleep in his cocoon, the words sink into his dreams. "This world is your treasure..." "Butterfly's Treasure" is a beautiful book that carries a powerful message of global harmony and species interdependence. It is aimed at children age 5-10, and lovers of the planet everywhere.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a great story ......, April 19, 2010
This review is from: The Butterfly's Treasure (Hardcover)
What a wonderful book. I bought this for my 6 year old daughter who loves animals and it was a huge hit. She loves to read it but LOVES the illustrations even more.
It's a very touching story about the life of a Monarch butterfly and the many places it will visit during it's lifetime. I didn't know much about the author / artist Schim Schimmel when I purchaed it. What a pleasant surprise to find his art and even more books on the internet and read about his work with the Jane Goodall association.
I would recommend this to anyone looking for a book for a child or just an art lover.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book, December 24, 2012
This review is from: The Butterfly's Treasure (Hardcover)
A must have for any parent or grandparents. A beatful book that follows the life of the butterfly. Beautiful illustrations, a must buy book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful artwork and great story, November 13, 2012
This review is from: The Butterfly's Treasure (Hardcover)
I bought this book to be read at my daughter's 3rd birthday party, which had a butterfly theme. The children loved it (and so did I). I would highly recommend for 3 - 7 year old children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly outstanding book for children, June 24, 2012
This review is from: The Butterfly's Treasure (Hardcover)
I am kind of in shock right now. I went to an art gallery on a little vacation with my family this past weekend. We had had a magical time coming across this book..my 2.5 year old daughter was very moved by a beautiful painting of a butterfly, it might have been her first peice of deeply appreciated artwork(by another aritst) Then the owner of the gallery said that there were some whismical paintings of butterflies behind a corner, whimsical is not really my style, but we took a look. The paintings were by Schimmel and this book was there. I didn't have a chance to take a good look at the book before we bought it, I just thought we should help support the gallery. I just read it for the first time to my daughter and I just cried. It was just so beautiful and so very perfect. It is such a perfect book for a parent or an adult that is close to a child to read. Referring to real places and real animals, with pictures of the Earth in the background to emphasis the nature of Earth in a universal sense, this just very much touched my philosophy in how I show the world to my daughter!! This would be a very, very great book for any child to have!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful illustrations and message, February 3, 2010
This review is from: The Butterfly's Treasure (Hardcover)
Young Caterpillar is just about to go to sleep before his metamorphosis. But before he does, Old Monarch visits him after a year's journey around the world, and shares the secret of Earth's treasure.

In his travels around the planet, Old Monarch has seen all the wondrous sights of Africa, Antarctica, the oceans, and the forests. He visits gorillas, dolphins, penguins, and snow leopards. And he's constantly awed by the beauty of this amazing treasure he's found. So now he wants to let Young Caterpillar in on this secret, just as he overheard father lion tell his son.

In this beautiful book, Schim Schimmel has once again created a masterpiece in color, with bright, vibrant and stunning animal pictures to delight the reader. This timeless message of treasuring the earth's beauty comes alive in his magnificent illustrations, reminding us that only we can save this planet before it's too late. The Butterfly's Treasure belongs in every nature lover's collection.

Reviewer: Alice Berger

The Butterfly's Treasure
The Butterfly's Treasure by Schim Schimmel (Hardcover - November 15, 2009)
$15.95 $14.36
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.