5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for the serious ESL teacher
This book is a must have for those,who have moved beyond survival. When preparing my lesson plans, I always have this book opened. It is not for the new teacher, who wants a ready made lesson to teach on Monday. This book will make you look at your practice and teach you how to give kids the tools they need to succeed in their mainstream classrooms.
Published on November 12, 2001 by M. Enright

3.0 out of 5 stars Bought for Class
This book served its purpose while I was getting my degree to become a teacher. I would not have bought it for any other reason besides the fact it was required for the course.
Published 21 months ago by S. Garner

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for the serious ESL teacher, November 12, 2001
M. Enright "me2heckle" (New York City, NY USA) - See all my reviews

4.0 out of 5 stars From a student's point of view, December 3, 2002
I was required to read this book for a university course. I found the CALLA method very interesting and I believe it would help in the classroom, but the book is very repetitive. I was bored to tears much of the time as I read through it cover to cover, which I was required to do. There is a basic theme (using content area materials in ESL classes) which is covered in the first few chapters, then the rest of the book is variations on the primary theme. An exciting novel it is not, but as a book you use for reference rather than reading cover to cover, I recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Calla Handbook: Implementing the Cognitive Academic Language Learning Approach, October 16, 2005
Extremely useful for those bilingual/ESL educators who are seeking a way to systematically move students from social language to academic language. Easy to understand guide.

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is great., February 19, 2011
This review is from: The CALLA Handbook: Implementing the Cognitive Academic Language Learning Approach (2nd Edition) (Paperback)
This is my textbook for Teaching strategies. I really get into it while I am reading it. It is great for all teachers expecially new teachers.

5.0 out of 5 stars great book, great price, July 15, 2013
I bought this book for a class when I was getting my Masters. It was a great price for the book and saved me a lot of money as a struggling college student.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very helpful!, March 21, 2013
I teach ESL and needed to take some CALLA courses. I have found the CALLA approach to be very sound.

5.0 out of 5 stars The CALLA Handbook, July 16, 2011
I had some beginning knowledge in the CALLA method and this handbook lays out the approach clearly so that the actual approach can be easily emplemented into any language learning classroom. I use this method somewhat already but now I am more prepared to start my school year off implementing the complete CALLA method of teaching. This book has been very helpful to me.

4.0 out of 5 stars Resource book..., July 3, 2014
Neola Merchant (Sonora, California USA) - See all my reviews
A good reference for teachers of English learners. Typical resource book--some great ideas. I was required to purchase it for a class...didn't use it much, though.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent learning strategy resource, June 23, 2014
This is an excellent resource for any content area teacher who works with ELL or is teaching a foreign language. It is written in an easy to understand style with multiple suggestions on how to implement the strategies in the classroom instructional routine.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just needed this for a class, March 9, 2014
It came on time and in good condition. Not sure if I like the content. It's pretty helpful for ELLs, but I feel like there are better books out there.

$79.33 $64.56