Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Cabin in the Woods: The Official Visual Companion
Your Garage Best Books of the Month Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Recess Monkey Explore Premium Audio Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on April 20, 2012
This is an outstanding companion piece to the film. It includes the following:

+ The full screenplay
+ Interviews with producer Joss Whedon and director Drew Goddard about writing and developing the film
+ Character biographies
+ TONS of concept art and color photos of the characters, monsters, sets and effects
+ Interviews with the special effects crew about how they brought some of the monsters and effects to life

I had extremely high expectations for this book, and it delivered. I really wanted to see lots of pictures and concept art of all the monsters and creatures since there were so many in the movie. There's a whole section at the back of the book dedicated to this, comparing various concept art to the final monster designs shown in the film. Some of the ideas the production designers came up with are wildly creative, even if they didn't make it into the film. The amount of detail they put into the monsters and sets is remarkable.

The screenplay takes up a good chunk of the book, with photos and behind-the-scenes information displayed chronologically as you read it. At first I thought this was a bad layout idea, but after reading some of it, I found it really hard to put down. It really sucks you in and (for me) it brought back vivid memories of the film. The interviews with Whedon and Goddard are at the beginning of the book (before the screeplay starts) and are a great look into the how they developed the story.

In short, this is a fantastic look at the creative process behind The Cabin In The Woods. It's a must read if you liked the film as much as I did, even more so if you want a behind-the-scenes look before it hits home video!
on April 18, 2012
This is a well designed book that clears up most of the questions one might have after watching the related film. 90% of the questions that are posted repeatedly on the IMDB page for this movie are answered in this book. The answers are from the writers/director/producer and technical staff, and are authoritative.

There is a still shot of the white board in the control room, which is handy to read all of the monsters the employees can bet on. Most of the obscure ones are explained, such as "Kevin" and "The Huron."

There is a lengthy interview with Whedon and Goddard and a lot of sketches and still shots from the film.
44 comments|30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon April 19, 2012
I guess the publishers understood that with the picky fanboy cult following that Joss Whedon and Drew Goddard have, they couldn't get away with shlock, because this is a masterly example of the breed, head and shoulders above the norm, and at a very good value. Loaded with color photography, the entire screenplay, interviews, and production artwork, "Companion" is a great way to relive and deepen the experience while we're waiting for DVD to come out.

Word of warning that should hardly be necessary, but just in case: If you have not already seen the movie, do not even so much as open to a random page in the book. The risk of spoilers is extremely high, as virtually every page has some level of "reveal" you really want to experience as intended, at the proper rate, within the context of the plot.

But having SEEN "Cabin," this book will help you put together some of the story elements that might have seemed obscure in the theater. It's kind of hard to catch absolutely everything when you're laughing and/or flinching.
on January 26, 2013
I'm a huge fan of Cabin in the Woods; I watch the last half hour about three times a week, so you can imagine how excited I was to get this book. What a disappointment! It doesn't offer any real insight into the heart and soul of the movie at all. The interviews with Goddard and Whedon were fifty or so pages of (more or less):
Did you change anything? - no
Was there anything you'd do differently? - no
Was there anything you enjoyed but had no choice but to cut? - no
Is the mermaid based on anything? - no

Thanks for all those stunning pearls, boys!

And listening to them anytime they talk about each other. Ugh! All it is, is:
Goddard: You're the best
Whedon: No, you're the best!
Goddard: No, we're the best!
All I hear is: "Me, me, me ME!"

Having a copy of the script is cool, but it's formatted weirdly. There's nothing to distinguish set/movement direction from dialogue, so you lose a bit there.

The third part of the book is the "creature feature" - it's pretty cool to see the designs behind all the prominent monsters, but what about the ones that flit by so quickly? A splash panel of all the different elevators would have been awesome and completely make this book.

Also, more information about the objects in the basement. It's mentioned how EVERY single object in the basement would have summoned a different monster, but they don't tell you what summons anything so you're stuck figuring out most of them for yourself (thankfully, quite a few are obvious: the conch, the unicorn, the music box, the dolls, the clown toys, the lament configuration, etc). This book doesn't add much of anything to the movie.
on July 19, 2015
I was expecting more of a guide to the movie with behind the scenes facts. What I got was a photo album with a long and tedious description of the progress in making the movie and a word by word script to make the high school version of it. The highlight of the book is the photos of the movie, the behind the scenes production images and the original artwork into the costumes, but it would have been so much better to get a creature features guide to the many monsters we barely saw in the movie. Close but no cigar -
on May 3, 2012
Look, if you don't like this movie, move on. What would be the point? Why even bother looking at this product?
But I personally LOVED Cabin in the Woods and was surprised that this book exists. I immediately bought it and man, I wish ALL my favorite movies had companion books like this. You get a rather extensive interview with Wheddon and Goddard (although I noticed there was no mention of the issues that delayed the release of the film, so if you're looking for bad-mouthing dirt, its not here), the full script, and some insight about some of the more prominent monsters in the film. On top of all that, the book is extremely well put together with glossy full color pages and literally pictures on EVERY page. As I type this, most outlets are selling this book for around $13 - $16 and it is totally worth every penny. Now all I need is for the film itself to come out on Blu-ray and I will be very happy.
I'll say it again, if all the movies I loved had such a well produced text like this, I would end up with a whole bookshelf full of visual companions. If you think you could consider yourself a fan of Cabin in the Woods, this book is a no brainer.
on September 28, 2012
I just saw the film on DVD and loved it and was very excited to get my copy of this book. As has been stated by many other reviewers, do not open this book unless you have seen the movie! The film's many twists and turns deserve to be unspoiled for those going in new. This book does not disappoint - lengthy interviews with Joss Whedon and Drew Goddard, the cast, and the full screenplay are included. It is perfect for fans of the film and I cannot recommend it enough! I do wish that it would have featured A LOT more on the various supernatural beasties that are in the film in more detail because it goes by fast in the film and there are some incredible ideas and amazing make up effects that I would have liked to have examined in more detail but there is a nice, sizable chunk of the book devoted to that, so, really, that is just a personal preference.
on September 22, 2012
After hearing and reading great reviews from horror fans, I've been kicking myself for not seeing this movie in the theater when it first came out.

After watching it for the first time last night on Blu-Ray, I can safely say that this was not only a fun horror movie, but just a fun movie period! It takes every old school horror cliche and turns it on it's ear. Why do people split up when they should stay together? Why do idiots go into a dark basement? What possesses a couple to go out into the woods at night for some naughty fun? It's all answered in this great movie by writers Joss "The Avengers" Whedon and Drew "Cloverfield" Goddard.

I'm not going to spoil anything here, so I'll just say that the characterization was great (for the most part these aren't your typical "horror victims"--pot smoker Marty Mikalski was my favorite, as I'm sure he was to a lot of people) and the situation they find themselves in is anything but a cliche. Conspiracies are abundant and the truth that lies behind it all is frightening. And did I mention the STAGGERING amount of monsters and psychos that are in this film? There's something in here for every horror movie buff and the last 30 minutes or so will leave you with either your jaw on the floor or a huge smile on your face.

Either way, this is a great film that should not be missed!
on May 14, 2012
Packed with tons of photographs and concept art, The Cabin in the Woods: The Official Visual Companion is an easy recommendation for fans of the film.

With a forward and afterword by Whedon and Goddard, as well as the complete shooting script, the book also features an interview with the writers, and quotes from the cast.

Although I found The Cabin in the Woods to be a bit flawed, this book does an amazing job chronicling some of the ideas and abandoned concepts of it's creators.
on July 2, 2012
I was already in love with this movie when I first experienced it in theaters. This book somehow got me to love the movie even more.

Part of the book is Q & A with Drew Goddard/Joss Whedon, which involves the writing process/production stories/and other tidbits I'm sure the Blu Ray set will repeat. The other part of the book is the brilliant screenplay both Goddard/Whedon wrote.

I bought this, out of shits and giggles, mostly because I was curious if it went into detail in regard to the tail end of the movie. To my surprise, it does cover it (I couldn't put the book down, it's damn good and detailed).

Worth picking up if you are a fan of the movie.