5.0 out of 5 stars A treasured rhyme about a little caboose
Published on April 23, 1997

2.0 out of 5 stars Great story, terrible audio.
The story is delightful, but the music is too loud and obnoxious and the audio quality of the storyteller is terrible. Very disappointed.
Published 12 days ago by M. Wolf

5.0 out of 5 stars A treasured rhyme about a little caboose, April 23, 1997
This review is from: The Caboose Who Got Loose (Hardcover)
We stumbled across this book on our treks to the library with our two year old son. This is one we have to get out EVERY time (along with Josephine and Jennifer, by the same author), if it is available -- and it is a big disappointment if it's not. The author uses a very clever, unforced rhyme throughout the book, that seems to have the rhythm of the train itself. Caty the Caboose has her own personality, and lives in my son's play life (he talks about her alot), even weeks from his most recent "reading." Now that we have discovered where to get the book, we are buying it, for sure

5.0 out of 5 stars favorite book for huge train fan, October 2, 2000
patti (Mount Vernon, WA) - See all my reviews
My son (four) brings me this book almost every night. Fantastic pictures and a great rhyming story with fabulous descriptions. This is the best train book we've found so far and are going to try other books by same author.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best kids books I've found, February 8, 1999
By A Customer
My wife and toddler accidentally found this in the library (he's a choo-choo junkie...), and we all just love it. Highly Reccommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars What a wonderful book....and what a wonderful author, July 15, 1998
This review is from: The Caboose Who Got Loose (Hardcover)
We received this book as a birthday gift, and what a gift it has been! The prose is so melodic you can almost sing it as you read. You can use so much inflection which makes the story even more fun! We immediately bought Smokey by Bill Peet for our little train lover as well! Highly recommend these books for kids as well as the adults who read them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Childhood Memories, September 9, 2001
This is a book that is very close to my heart. As a child, I would always pick this book for my mother to read to me. I still have the book and have since introduced it to my nieces. The artwork is beautiful and the story is timeless. I highly recommend this book to anyone with children. I'll always remember the last line, "Yes indeed, oh indeed, oh indeed, Katie did".

5.0 out of 5 stars Oh what a fun book!, January 2, 1998
This review is from: The Caboose Who Got Loose (Hardcover)
I read my son lots of books and this is by far the best! The wording is fantastic! I never skip a page :-) when I read this book and the pictures are fantastic!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars second only to The Little Engine that Could, January 19, 2007
R. R. Gibby "ida uta man" (Boise, ID United States) - See all my reviews
This is a children's book with a complete plot, in rhyming prose, like no other! It deserves to be a classic on every American boys list. Featuring a caboose that transforms above regretting her role, and then obtains her ideal. With a full double-page drawing of like say 10 workers rehabilitating a locomotive! How could it get better than that! Warning: my 2 year old Thomas-lover won't let us put him to bed without reading this book, too. 2nd Warning: the same 2-year-old is petrified of the picture of the searchlight shining on the moose on the second to last page. He makes me try to skip that page. Something about the expression of a moose in the headlights that bothers him, I suppose.

5.0 out of 5 stars great story!, October 14, 2008
My 19-month old loves this story. The plot is simple and unfolds so nicely, and the illustrations lend such life and feelings to the inanimate characters. Its rhyming style is fun to read and the story even has a valuable lesson to share ("the grass is greener..." so we should appreciate what we have). Good thing it's such an enjoyable story since my husband and I find ourselves reading it at our son's request several times a day!

5.0 out of 5 stars A firm favorite at bedtime, March 13, 2014
Matthew Darby "Digital Diddler" (San Francisco, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
Bill Peet is perhaps my favorite children's author, and The Caboose Who Got Loose, is perhaps my favorite of his books. It's also a firm favorite of our 2 year old son, and we both look forward to reading this for the umpteenth time at bedtime. The story is terrific, the rhymes are natural and witty, and the drawings are superb. Bill has a skill and draftsmanship that's rare to see these days, and only adds to the pleasure of reading. Perhaps the best value book I've ever purchased, given how many times it's been read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Peet at his best, October 9, 2008
Former Disney artist Bill Peet brings a Disney-like feel to his books, especially this one which features a great story about what one wishes for and what one sometimes winds up with. The drawings are works of art, and the story gives parents a chance to talk about railroads and wishes. No robots, no monsters, no computers, just a gentle story and fabulous art.

The Caboose Who Got Loose
The Caboose Who Got Loose by Bill Peet (Hardcover - September 9, 1971)
Used & New from: $0.98