5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED this!
I loved the Meet the Raisins. So good to finally see this on dvd. Also I am soooo excited about having the California Raisins Show on there as well. I remember watching that show on saturday mornings. I didn't realize it only lasted 13 episodes. Very sad. But at least now I have them all on dvd.
Published on December 23, 2011 by Katie Shaffer

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice to see on DVD, but disappointing
It's crazy to see something like this on DVD, but I'm glad it's here. Both the "Raisins Sold Out" and "Meet the Raisins" specials make this a worthwhile set to seek out. That said, even with my brief time viewing it, there are some issues that make this a questionable purchase.

Published on November 17, 2011 by Christopher M. Wilson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice to see on DVD, but disappointing, November 17, 2011
This review is from: The California Raisins Collection (DVD)

The "Signed, Sealed, Delivered" intro in "Raisins Sold Out" is cut short for some strange reason. It doesn't appear to be a licensing issue, because the song plays in its entirety in "Meet the Raisins". If I had to guess, I would think the version on the disc was edited for time constraints on syndicated/repeat broadcasts. It's not a big deal, but it's an awkward transition compared to how the intro played out in the original.

Another strange omission is made with the end credits of "Raisins Sold Out". The first part of the credits plays, but the second portion does not (which had some nice music to go with it). Perhaps another "for TV" cut.

The bigger problem would be the general quality of the video presented. Everything on here appears to be a VHS capture (UPDATE: actually "1 inch master tapes", see my update at the end), which is a shame but perhaps all that is available considering the source material. They appear to be captured pretty well, and audio comes through nicely.

The cartoon episodes are on a dual layer DVD, so it's not such a big deal to have all 13 of these on one disc. They still appear to be VHS captures (UPDATE: actually "1 inch master tapes", see my update at the end), but again that's probably not something they could avoid. I can't imagine that keeping anything beyond tape masters for a failed cartoon was on anyone's priority list. :)

All of these problems are relatively minor, though, so if you're looking to relive the wrinkled rockers then you'll really dig this. Too bad they were just a flash in the pan.

UPDATE 2: I got in contact with Hen's Tooth Video, who informed me everything was taken from "1 inch master tapes", not VHS tapes, I gave the VHS version too much credit. These are a marked improvement upon direct comparison.

There's still issues with blurry portions (more during the cartoon series), shaky frames, and you can even see tracking lines near the top. These were only intended for broadcast use as far as I know, so the quality is understandable. It doesn't make it any less disappointing, but Hen's Tooth does appear to have done the best they could with what they were given. And fortunately they appear to have presented everything as it was given with either very little or no tampering, which is awesome.

The missing portions described in my review were apparently that way in the masters provided, which might mean that the extended segments were only created for the VHS releases. I did not see either special broadcasted on TV so I can't confirm that, but it seems likely.

I also wanted to throw in a quick comment about the four commercials presented. It's a great bonus, just a shame that they were only able to provide four. But still fun stuff all around.

2.0 out of 5 stars The California Raisins Collection, February 8, 2012
This review is from: The California Raisins Collection (DVD)
The California Raisins specials and cartoon show are finally all on DVD in a two disc set. The first disc has the two claymation specials "Meet the Raisins" and Raisins: Sold Out" along with four California Raisins commercials (including the ones featuring Ray Charles and Micheal Jackson). The second disc has all 13 episodes of the California Raisins animated Saturday morning cartoon series. I would have preferred that they put some of the cartoon episodes on the first disc, so as not to overload the second disc. The audio for the second disc is also not as good the the first disc. Watching with my surround sound system, the speaking voices in the cartoon series only come out of one speaker. This leads to the voices sounding hallow and too soft. Even on my regular tv, the background music is louder than the voice acting. For those wondering, only the two specials have subtitles available.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVED this!, December 23, 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Bringing back memories, December 17, 2011
This review is from: The California Raisins Collection (DVD)
Remember this on TV and it is still good today, get for the kids to watch with the family
Very entertaining to this day

5.0 out of 5 stars This was awesome..., May 30, 2013
This review is from: The California Raisins Collection (DVD)
Yes, yes it was and if you don't know what it is and was when you were little then I would like to apologize. Awesome videos with awesoem characters and awesome music with funny concepts and commericals.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brings back memories, April 26, 2013
This review is from: The California Raisins Collection (DVD)
I loved watching these as a kid. Good old school music and entertainment the whole family can enjoy. Showed this to my niece and nephew and they loved it. Will have to order another.

5.0 out of 5 stars It's awesome, March 3, 2014
Hi I'm Japanese.
My wife have watched this clay animation in her childhood on TV.
but I haven't. and so far, I couldn't find this animation on any place (web etc..).

so this time, we're so happy to find and see this.
We want my kids to watch this.

4.0 out of 5 stars Yeah for claymation, February 20, 2013
This review is from: The California Raisins Collection (DVD)
The Christmas show was the one I really remember. Love the lost art of claymation. Very entertaining. four stars. Want more

5.0 out of 5 stars My mom loved it, April 16, 2014
This review is from: The California Raisins Collection (DVD)
I bought this as a gift for my mom. She really loved them when they first came out back in the 80's. She still loves them to this day

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, March 24, 2014
shay (Georgia,USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The California Raisins Collection (DVD)
The second disic does not have any sound till they start to sing so that is why I gave one star

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The California Raisins Collection
The California Raisins Collection by California Raisins Collection (DVD - 2011)
$24.95 $19.49