Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on June 3, 2009
I recently purchased "The Cancer Survivor's Guide" for a course I was taking at Whole Foods Market in Sacramento, CA. I do not have cancer. I do not plan to get cancer. But then again, nobody does. My beloved, healthy, sister Debora died in 2007 from virulent cancer. I don't wish it on anyone.
While I was a patient of John McDougall in Santa Rosa undergoing his ten day program,my sister Debora was eating the "Atkins Diet." Five years later, I am alive and thriving and Debora is buried in a cemetery nearby.
Don't let this happen to you or your loved one.

I now have a weekly share of a vegetable crop in a C.S.A. farm nearby. I loved the Cancer Project Class. The recipes in this book are great. We got a chance to make several of them during the four week class. The Mashed Grains and Cauliflower on (p168) tasted great with mushroom gravy on top. I enjoyed the Black Bean Chili on (p121). I went into ecstasy over the Raspberry Salad Dressing on (p151) used on our green salad. The Sweet and Sour Stirfry on (p200) was an excellent dish and I learned to cook my root vegetables such as carrots and celery first as they take longer.
I toasted my brown rice prior to cooking it and there is a recipe for that in this book.
Enjoy the Gingered Melon(so easy to make) on (p218) as a wonderful dessert. Of course the Chocolate Mousse on (p215) is a tempting treat as well.
Whether you are looking to revise conventional recipes(p67), plan healthy cancer fighting meals that will slow down the course of cancer in your body, or if you just enjoy the taste of a good Roasted Red Pepper Hummus(p113)this book has an approach to healthy eating that we all can live with and enjoy.
22 comments| 63 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 28, 2009
I purchased this book because I do believe that food is a factor in cancer prevention and treatment. The scientific evidence in this book is compelling, although I did not need to be convinced. For those who are not sure about how food affects health, this is a five-star book. For anyone who wants some recipes to put the concepts into practice, this book is only three-star or four-stars. While there is some variety in the book, some of the recipes just didn't tantalize my taste buds. Making the change from meat as a main dish can be a challenge, so I wanted some recipes to make the family crave more plant based foods, and this one misses that mark. A good vegetarian book would be a better choice for recipes, but if readers who want both an explanation of why to make the change and suggestions on what to eat instead of meat will find this book most helpful.
on June 2, 2011
This book tells you exactly what you need to do to survive your cancer diagnosis. Fortunately, I was already following a high-fiber, low-fat plant-based diet, so there wasn't a big change for me. I have just begun watching the fat intake much more closely. That is the key here--keeping your weight down and the fat intake at a minimal. It's just too bad the oncologists and radiologists don't know about diet's role in cancer survival. I've told them about Dr. Barnard's film "Forks Over Knives," but they look at me blankly as if to say, "What are you talking about?" Dr. Barnard is not the only doctor who has studied diet as it relates to cancer, there's a long list. I recommend you check them out. Start with "The China Study" by Dr. T. Colin Campbell.
on June 11, 2009
This book is a FANTASTIC resource for anyone looking to make healthier, well-balanced meals and start down a path to great health. The easy to read material is very informative without being repetitive or too "scientific." The second half of this book is full of FABULOUS recipes that are so easy to make and totally yummy. I bought this book for myself, my parents, as well as recommended it to my friends and coworkers. I also recommend you visit the Cancer Project's website and consider taking one of their nutrition classes (which they use this book for.) It will change your life, I promise!
on May 1, 2009
I am a four-time cancer survivor and have found this book to be great. It has amazing recipes that are all vegan and easy to make. A definate must buy book for anyone who wants to change their eating habits to better their health.
on March 16, 2012
If you want to do everything possible to improve your cancer survival rate, then read this book and implement the suggestions. In the world of vegan cooking, it can be bewildering on how to put together vegan meals. And if the food tastes too bad, you will not be able to stay on this diet. It is obvious that the recipes in this book have been created and tested by a professional. And they help hold your hand in putting this program together

I can tell you that the recipes work in this book, and that is not true for many of the other vegan cookbooks that I have tried. Cookbooks that get an F grade are "Engine 2 Diet", "Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease" by Esselstyn, and "The Complete Idiot's Guide to Plant-Based Nutrition."

Other useful sources for recipes are found by going online and looking up what professional vegan cooks do. The "Candle 79 Cookbook" is good but time consuming. The Mediterranean cookbooks (for example "Mediterranean Light") of Martha Shulman contain many tasty vegan recipes, and I highly recommend them.
on May 9, 2010
This book explains the importance of eating the right foods to boost our immune system so our body can work to fight cancer. This information has been published in peer reviewed medical journals. It has delicious recipes that have disease fighting antioxidents. One of my favorite cookbooks.
on March 30, 2009
I really did like this book. It has great information with a lot of details and is easy to follow! If you or a family member has been diagnosed with cancer, this is a must have!
on May 25, 2009
THIS BOOK GIVES SCIENTIFIC AS WELL AS PRACTICAL INFORMATION. IF YOU HAVE CANCER OR HAD IT AND DON'T WANT IT TO COME BACK, THIS BOOK IS A MUST
DAN STEMMER
on June 6, 2010
I actually haven't finished this book yet, and I do think there is some great info so far. No doubt, a diet focused on fruits, veggies and whole grains is what we should all strive for....however, there are a few points that bother me so far:

1 - It's stated that one of the reasons to avoid both chicken and fish is due to the "saturated fat content". Heh?? Skinless chicken breast has .4 grams of saturated fat. And fish has always been considered low in saturated fat, even fatty fish like salmon is low in saturated fat. So I don't understand their claim on this.

2 - I bought this book thinking it was both for cancer prevention and also cancer survival (for those diagnosed and, as the title states, "...fighting back"). But then on page 83 in the Q and A section, it states that this book is only intended for cancer prevention and for those who are FINISHED with treatment. (?) So I'm very confused on who the audience is...because many parts of the book make it seem it's for people currently fighting the disease.

3 - One big side effect of cancer in the abdominal/lung areas is ascites. And diet very much affects that, yet I didn't see ascites mentioned anywere. Ascites is massive fluid build-up around the abdominal cavity and lung area that is a side effect of cancer in that region. It's usually one of the initial signs alerting people to a cancer diagnosis. It swells the abdomen very uncomfortably and can cause labored breathing when it interferes with lungs. My mother is currently battling stage IV ovarian cancer, and suffered with ascites. A diet rich in solid protein sources is very important in treating this. Her doctors, as well as a nutritionist, instructed her to focus on proteins like chicken and fish every day. As far as soy protein goes, they say to avoid it for those fighting breast and ovarian cancers due to the estrogen. (Though there are conflicting reports.)

4 - The recipes are very low-fat...only 10-20% fat, which seems very low. They suggest giving up ALL meat/poultry/fish sources, no eggs, no dairy...plus limiting fat to such a low amount...which all in all, I think is a bit extreme. (For some of the recipes, I would probably add a little more avocado or nuts, just for satiety.) While it may be ideal nutrition, I think it will be tough to stick to.

Other than that, it is very informative about nutrition and cancer, and at the very least...it can help you increase the amount of fruits and vegetables in your diet, which is always a good thing. So take it with a grain of salt. (Or salt substitute.)
1616 comments| 39 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse