5.0 out of 5 stars Capoeira at its BEST!
Me and my husband tried this video for the first time and we loved it!!! Paula Verdino is an amazing instructor who provided clear instructions on the different types of techinques. I definitely apprecipated the background and history of Capoeira and its music.
Published on August 8, 2007 by A. Fuchu

3.0 out of 5 stars Very short workout!
I used to do capoeira for a few years but haven't had time to go to classes for almost a year, so I was very excited to see that this DVD was coming out because I thought it would be a nice way to continue with my practice on my own. I did it for the first time yesterday, however, and was very disappointed by how short it is.

Although the DVD does start with a...
Published on June 14, 2007 by Leanne

3.0 out of 5 stars Very short workout!, June 14, 2007
This review is from: The Capoeira Workout: Open level capoeira instruction, Martial arts dance fusion, Capoeira fitness workout classes (DVD)

Although the DVD does start with a review of the basic moves/kicks you'll be doing and a brief history of this martial art, the workout itself is only about 20 minutes long, including the warmup. There is also no cool-down or stretch at the end.

On the positive side, all of the music is by Mestre Bimba and there are some good sample rodas to watch and learn from.

Overall, it's an alright workout that provides a nice overview of the basic moves (like Benção, Queixada, Martelo, etc.), but I felt like it could have been much longer.

5.0 out of 5 stars Capoeira at its BEST!, August 8, 2007
The warm up was very good and the workout was intense, even a cave man can do it! Although the video was short we are hopeful that there will be a series to follow. This is a great video for beginners, who which to learn more about what makes Capoeira such an amazing sport in Brasil and around the world.

3.0 out of 5 stars Different from what I'm used to!, March 3, 2010
It looks like it is a decent workout. I just didn't have enough floor space in my house to actually do the workout. Make sure you have enough floor space!

4.0 out of 5 stars Short, sweet intense workout, September 17, 2010
YogaGirl (san francisco, ca United States) - See all my reviews
Oh how I wish this was a 60 minute dvd. The actual workout is only 20 minutes. Not nearly long enough. But it was intense and fun. Please make more of these world dance new york

3.0 out of 5 stars Room for improvement, January 10, 2009
Instructor did an amazing job explaining the moves in workout #1. Can't say the same for workout #2. She just keeps saying "And go" - then jumps into a routine. The workout segments (combined) are much too short. An added 15-20 mins would have made all the difference.

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice intro to capoeira basics, December 14, 2008
This is a nice video to learn the culture and basics of capoeira. It's a little above my current fitness level, but it's fun to watch. I recommend it for parents who want to expose their children to the art of capoeira.

5.0 out of 5 stars Different and challenging, December 12, 2008
This is a killer on butt and legs and pretty amazing all-around workout. I started going back to some yoga and and started Pilates to improve my flexibility and strengthen my lower back which also helped to compliment this program. I liked trying something different and will keep it in my workout mix.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good instruction but short in length, October 11, 2008
In my novice opinion this is a good, all Capoeira workout- I've recently been introduced to Capoeira and love the fun, challenging workouts that are part of this beautiful martial art. This video is a good way to practice what you learn in class - especially for a beginner who is still learning to combine movements. The workouts are short, but challenging.

5.0 out of 5 stars A fun martial arts dance, October 13, 2007
One may ask, what is capoeira? I am glad to have found out, now you should too! This is one of the most fabulous exercise &, instructional programs from World Dance New York that I have gladly subjected my body to. I found Capoeria a playful, skilled dance with martial arts woven in gracefully and sublelty. One may think of martial arts and remember Bruce Lee.; but here comes Paula to put it all together as a fun,intense work out with full benefits in muscle tone, agility,and flexability.
Beginning with the warm-up, this is intense. The program incorporates level changes, kicks, torso rotations, cartwheels. You will feel every muscle in your body claim its name. The amazing thing is that upon viewing the program initially, one may have the misconception that this program is not for them. Follow through with the warm up and instantly you are hooked. Paula has a way of presenting the warm up that is friendly and inviting and not threatening even for the faithful couch potato.
The technique is explained in sections, then applied in 2 workout sessions; the first section introduces the basics and slow technique, the second workout session applies intense kicks, torso rotations on the floor which are faster paced.
This dvd is rich in content and runs approximately 38 minutes.
Paula and her partners devote a section to explain the use of hand held instruments used in playing the capoeria rhyhtms, a section for exhibition of capoiera games, and then Paula herself in a skillful exhibit of her abilities in capoiera. She is beautiful to watch!
I have been doing some of the capoeira moves only a few days, and found myself applying some of the lunges and torso balancing in my sword dancing with a faster response time. Initally, I did not think I could follow through, the lunges were challenging, but I am glad I did.
I love this program, it is full of benefits that enrich my dance life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Review, August 6, 2013
This went from stupid simple to expert with no in between. That is the only thing I would change. Overall a good workout.

$9.99
In stock but may require an extra 1-2 days to process.
Rate and Discover Movies