5.0 out of 5 stars A Sound That Fits
Published on August 22, 2002 by Jerry Fry

2.0 out of 5 stars the car album??
Well all I know is They sure fooled us with Jackie Blue~! Whatever Happened? is this album before or after, I sure hope it's before if not they definitely went downhill!
Published on April 7, 2003 by Russ

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A Sound That Fits, August 22, 2002
Jerry Fry (Freeman, MO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Car Over the Lake Album (Audio CD)
You don't need to be from the Ozarks to appreciate this album but it doesn't hurt. I rate this as The Daredevils best album. Although there are many good songs on their other albums, I'd have to say there are more on this one. "Mr. Powell" is one of the best. It's in reference to the journey through the Grand Canyon he and his party took , "Just about a hundred years or so ago". Some of these songs will always sound good no matter how much time passes. Some will call this Country or Country Rock but I would also define it as Folk music. "From Time to Time" is a beautiful song that you can feel. All the songs are good, there aren't many albums like that, and it's just my opinion, but if you've heard anything else by the "Ozarks" that you liked you should hear this.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Car Over The Lake Album Cover Album, March 18, 2005
Mark Champion "autumnfair" (San Antonio, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Car Over the Lake Album (Audio CD)
They did it again with their third release, and again with David Anderle at the producer's console. There are some problems - - the two tracks which originally were the album-side openers ("Keep On Churnin'" and "Thin Ice") are perfunctory exercises in both performance and intention. And it seems they front-loaded the album a bit, as tracks two through six play like a best-of sequence: five absolutely astonishing songs, parading gloriously one after another. Randall Chowning's "Leatherwood" is peerless, a beautiful countrified paeon to the easy life, with a gorgeous harmonized chorus and an instrumental break straight out of the woods. And when Chowning teams up with Steve Cash for the harp-and-yodelling, oboe-flavored fourstep "Gypsy Forest", hey - - go on and levitate. I do, every time I hear it. Cash's and Larry Lee's airy "If I Only Knew" should have been as big a hit as was "Jackie Blue". The CAR OVER THE LAKE ALBUM flags a bit as it goes on, though. The last half isn't quite as strong as the first but again, it's relative as all the songs are at least very, very good. The original LP closed with Chowning's stately, arresting elegy "Whippoorwill", a fitting closer if ever there were one. The three bonus tracks, originally a flexi released with the LP, aren't exactly essential and mitigate the closure. They hold up well enough on their own though, so it's nice to have them on CD. The admonishing text printed on the original flexi was somewhat apologetic regarding the quality of the songs and their putatively irreverent humor, but with people like Oscar Brand running around releasing humorously peurile albums since the late '40s, why bother apologizing? These guys were on a roll.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Car Over The Lake Album, February 4, 2003
This review is from: The Car Over the Lake Album (Audio CD)
I first purchased this album on cassette back in '75. I have a vast album/cd/cassette collection but I would have to say this is one of the best albums ever. If you want variety, this album has it. I definitely am not a big country fan but you can't help to like this album and particularly this group. Probably one of the most underrated groups of all time. For the gentleman wanting to know who sings: If I Only Knew, From Time To Time, Spaceship Onion, Jackie Blue, and Mr. Powell. His name is Larry Lee. Whippoorwill is my favorite song on this album. Great music particularly with the music/groups we have today. You can almost feel their enthusiasm towards their music in their songs. Definitely a great choice.

4.0 out of 5 stars Now, there's a car with spark plugs, December 12, 2002
Geoffrey Halston (Woodbury, Minnesota) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Car Over the Lake Album (Audio CD)
This is a group that captured the country-rock sound. Although I only gave it four stars, it is still a great album. I'm just not a country fan. However, I don't know the names of the singers, but whoever it is that sings "Jackie Blue" and "If I Only Knew" has a very catchy sound, and it is interesting how this singer fits in. Whoever this singer is, he could easily make a great solo album. I recently heard "Jackie Blue" on the radio, and so I went looking on Amazon for the album, and saw this album which I used to have in the 70's. The entire reason I bought this album was for the song "If I Only Knew." I hadn't heard that song since the 70's, and, hearing it now, it is still as catchy as it was then. It is also, lyrically, a great song about the uncertainty of relationships.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, August 18, 2002
F. A. Smith (Raleigh, NC United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Car Over the Lake Album (Audio CD)
Because one can't own every album one wants, I somehow never bought this on LP although I heard it at friends' homes. I had others by the Daredevils and got this when it came out on CD. It is well worth having. Their blend of country, rock, and a touch of gospel are an appealing mix. The self-titled debut album might be a better first choice if you've never heard them, but you'll soon find that one CD of theirs is not enough. It was extremely good news to find out on the Daredevils web site that this is the first in a series of reissues of their 70s albums.

4.0 out of 5 stars car over the lake album - even the name's great., February 3, 2004
Sean C. Lamkin (Normal, IL United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Car Over the Lake Album (Audio CD)
Being 18, most would figure that i've never heard of these guys, but their wrong. i discovered this daredevil album along with about 4 more in my dad's old vinyl collection, and let me tell you, it blew me away. "if i only knew" is a great song, but "mr. powell" is the definate best on this album. This record is a must for any country-rock-bluegrass fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars Some of the most memorable tunes you'll ever hear, April 5, 2003
This review is from: The Car Over the Lake Album (Audio CD)
Raecheltigner, I'm so sorry, I was reading your review and nodding my head in fervant agreement when you said that Ozark Mountain Daredevils' songs were "some of the most memorable tunes", and I reached for the button to agree with your review and hit the "No" button by mistake! My humble apologies. I had to immediately write and say that I'm not usually drawn to country music either, or to the kind of music that I guess the Ozark Mountain Daredevils might be classed as, but there's something about all the Ozark Mountain Daredevils' songs that I've ever heard that is just so deeply SATISFYING! Their songs all live on in my memory too. Sometimes so upbeat and joyful, sometimes kind of DOWNbeat and philosophical and still somehow inspiring, sometimes quirky and droll and fun, sometimes just so peaceful and contenting to listen to. Thanks for capturing that crucial thing about their songs: Memorable!

5.0 out of 5 stars Country rock with oboe?, March 29, 2003
This review is from: The Car Over the Lake Album (Audio CD)
A boyfriend whose name I can't recall bought the album for me in 75. I lost it somehow in the early 80s, and finally decided to track it down tonight. Oboe! Can you believe it?! Anyway, like the rest of the reviewers, I'm not much of a country fan, but this album has some of the most memorable tunes I've ever encountered. I can't wait for it to arrive.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Car Over The Lake Album, August 12, 2002
This review is from: The Car Over the Lake Album (Audio CD)
As an avid Daredevils fan, I've waited a long time for this reissue on CD. The digital remastering will make you believe you are in the studio with these guys! All the original tracks are there, plus the 3 bonus cuts off "The Little Red Record". This CD is a must for your collection!

4.0 out of 5 stars Relatively speaking, not their best, December 20, 2004
This review is from: The Car Over the Lake Album (Audio CD)
The ozarks had much to live up to following two superb debut releases and in some ways this is a marginally disappointing effort. It's still a rewarding disc, nicely produced and their most country tinged venture.

When it's good such as Randle Chowning's glorious 'leatherwood' and the poignant 'cobblestone mountain' it's really good. I also like 'southern cross' with brilliant Steve Cash lyrics and Larry lee's atmospheric 'from time to time'.

Sadly some of the material is a little uninspired ('Thin Ice' and ' 'Out on the Sea') and the vocal arrangements on Mr powell are a little messy. This is a shame if you consider some of the bands earlier unreleased material (as evidenced on 'log cabin sessions') which perhaps should have found the light of day.

Despite these reservations, this is still superior country rock: try listening to the guitar opening on 'whipporwill' or the folky oboe on Gypsy Forest and you are reminded just how great this band was.

If the bonus tracks from 'the little red record' (a copy of which I have) had replaced the weaker ones on the original release this would surely have been up there with 'it'll Shine when it shines'.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Car Over the Lake Album
The Car Over the Lake Album by Ozark Mountain Daredevils (Audio CD - 2002)