5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, I like to cook again!
Published on April 8, 2000 by SheriCS

3.0 out of 5 stars A Little Disappointing
Published on June 17, 2000 by Donna

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, I like to cook again!, April 8, 2000
This review is from: The Carbohydrate Addict's Cookbook: 250 All-New Low-Carb Recipes That Will Cut Your Cravings and Keep You Slim for Life (Hardcover)
I have been on so many diets in my life--and all they ever did was leave me fatter, crankier, and hating to cook, because of all the weighing, measuring, and special foods I had to fix for me (that no one else would eat). I've been following the Hellers' Carbohydrate Addicts Lifespan Program, with wonderful results on all fronts--weight down, cholesterol and trigylcerides down, energy up, creativity up, and mood soaring (good-bye, Prozac!)--but I was getting tired of fixing the same old "basic" proteins, salads, and vegetables for me and my family. This cookbook makes cooking FUN again. My husband and kids eat these recipes and don't even think of them as "Mom's diet food." (Mainly, because they are NOT diet foods--they are healthy choice foods that control my appetite and cravings, while allowing my body to release stored fat). Each night has become an adventure. I especially like the unusual ways spices are used--allspice in chicken, jalapenos in green beans, for example. Those who follow the Hellers' plans do not count calories, fats, carbs, or weigh and measure food--so there is no NEED for all this kind of information (as some other reviews suggested). We balance our meals visually, and can enjoy traditional carbs (again, in balance) during a one-hour "Reward" meal each day. This is truly a way of life, and for once, I am enjoying my life while losing weight. I don't even THINK of the way I eat as dieting anymore. It is just what I do to balance my insulin levels. And it's nice to no longer hate that daily chore--cooking. Thanks Drs. Heller! I'm so grateful.

5.0 out of 5 stars FINALLY, THE COOKBOOK!, April 10, 2000
By A Customer
It's about time is all I can say! I've bought all the Hellers other books & have been using them. While each of their books have been helpful at helping me keep up with the program, I frankly found the recipes kind of duplicative. This book is refreshing! It's totally re-motivated me on the Hellers diet (promise it can do the same for you!), because it's given me tons of new meals to try. You can't get bored with this diet plan now. By they way, if you haven't tried the Hellers diet, you should. Beyond the fact that I've lost 20 pounds, I've also been able to significantly cut down my daily insulin medication. The only thing I've changed about my lifestyle is my diet, so it ain't hard to figure out what's helping! Thanks for FINALLY giving us great, real-world recipes that ANY ONE can make and enjoy!

3.0 out of 5 stars A Little Disappointing, June 17, 2000
I was hoping this book would be better than it is. Buffalo Wings and Chicken Salad for breakfast? So many of these recipies call for terriyaki sauce, but I haven't been able to find a terriyaki sauce with less than 18 grams of carb per serving. A much better low carb cookbook is The Low-Carb Cookbook by Fran McCullough. Besides the wonderfully delicious recipes, Ms. McCullough also provides low carb pantry-stocking suggestions and even a little carb education. She also includes protien, fat and carbohydrate counts for each recipe --something I was shocked not to find in the Heller's book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not What I Expected, April 10, 2000
By A Customer
Yes, there are some tasty looking recipes here, but I expected (and need) nutritional info for each recipe. I'm very disappointed that this information is not included.
Recipes that "cut the cravings" just isn't the truth for me. I am a true carb addict, so I have to be very careful with my carb intake, because once I go too far then I just can't stop. I've needed to modify the reward meal - no sugar, no starches, etc. and I have to make sure the carbs are less than 10g or I'm headed for a binge. So without the nutritional breakdown, I'll only try those recipe which are obviously very low in carbs. Therefore, I'm not going to use this cookbook very much.
I think I own a copy of every low-carb cookbook on the market and I still think that the best one out there is "Lauri's Low-Carb Cookbook" by Lauri Ann Randolph. If you are only going to buy one low carb cookbook, try Lauri's.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple, Delicious Recipes that even Teens Love!, July 26, 2000
After starting the Carbohydrate Addict's Lifespan Program with my husband, we needed some additional low carb recipes for our diet. However, with three teenage boys in the house, I was afraid that the recipes in this cookbook might not be to their liking. I have tried other diet programs and also other lowfat and low carb recipes in the past with little success in our household. To be successful on a diet, you need food that everyone can enjoy. Well, this cookbook has done it for me! Every recipe I have tried was easy to make and my boys have really enjoyed the dishes. If you plan to work a diet and lifestyle changing program, you need good food and recipes to keep you going. This book was helpful and receives top ratings from a mother who has to please more than herself!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous and Fun Cooking, April 8, 2000
After being on the Hellers Lifespan program now for over 5 months I anxiously awaited a cookbook with easy to follow and easy to cook recipes. Well, boy I found it. The meals are quick and tasty and not boring. These meals are easily incorporated into a balanced carbohydrate meal or just as a craving reducing meal. Since this is not a diet and a way of life for me I wanted variety in my plan and flavor in my plan and I got it. I recommend this book to anyone who wants a balanced carbohydrate plan with no cravings and lots of variety. Such a great job the Drs. Heller did on this book. Bravo.

5.0 out of 5 stars Easy And Delicious Low-Carb Recipes!, February 17, 2004
This was the first low-carb cookbook that I bought after choosing to lessen the carbs in my diet. It provides 250 new low-carb recipes, as well as guidelines on how to incorporate Health Agency Recommendations and American Heart Association's Recommendations into the Carbohydrate Addict's Program. After these recommendations, the book delves right into delicious low-carb recipes!
The recipes are divided in 12 sections:
Appetizers and Soups A few recipes from this section include Marinated Thai Chicken, Aromatic Shrimp Soup, Herbed Cheese Dip, and Holiday Meatball Appetizer.
Breakfasts Hearty Breakfast Quiche, Salmon Rolls With Cream Cheese, Savory Spinach Omelet, and Breakfast Pockets are but a few of the easy, mouth-watering recipes in this section.
Dips, Dressings, And Sauces Delcious recipes include Cucumber Cloud Supreme, Feta Vinaigrette, Creamy Clam and Crab Dip, and Roasted Green Pepper Sauce.
Beef and Veal Veal Marsala Burgers, Beef Provencal Stuffed With Mushrooms, Spicy Olive Burgers, and Peking Stir-fry Beef are but a few tasty dishes!
Lamb Recipes include Meditteranean Shish Kebob, Tarragon Lamb, and Herbed Leg of Lamb.
Pork Sumptuous Pork Salad, Roasted Pork With Rosemary and Garlic, Shanghai Pork Roast, and Paprika Pork Chops are just a few of the pork fare!
Poultry Crustless Chicken Potpie, Peppery Chicken Salad, Chicken Wings With Spicy Mustard Topping, and Christmas Hens are among the easy recipes featured in this section.
Seafood Classic Shrimp Scampi, Barnacle Bill's Scallops, Savory Fish With Vegetables, Steamed Mussels Peppercorn, and Broiled Swordfish With Cilantro Oil, are just a few of the many seafood recipes!
Salads California Greek Salad, Christmas Christmas Cabbage Salad, Taco Spinach Salad, and Tangy Cauliflower Salad are among the fresh fare in this section.
Vegetables Creamy Veggie Supreme, Super Stuffed Mushrooms, Asparagus-Egg-Mushroom Casserole, and Three Green Garlic Toss are several of the vegetable dishes featured in this section.
Vegetarian Alternatives Cheesy Broccoli Casserole, Asparagus Parmesan Soup, Stir-Fried Vegetable Special, and Cheesy Breakfast "Sausages" and Tofu Stir-Fry are some of the vegetarian alternatives shared in this inventive section.
Quick Fix Dishes and Snacks Poached Salmon Northwest, Low-Carb Mushroom Soup, Baked Flounder Italiano, and Creamy Asian-Style Scallops are but a few of the delectable recipes that are a snap to make.
What I love about this cookbook is that all of the dishes are easy to make, none of the recipes call for exotic food items that may be hard to find, and most of the dishes can be put together very quickly. Best of all, they're all low-carb and but high on taste!

5.0 out of 5 stars I've Been Waiting For this Book, March 20, 2000
By A Customer
I've bought all of the Heller's other books and have always wanted a cookbook to use to follow their advice. This book is clear and easy to use. Thanks Rachael and Richard!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book is a must for every kitchen!, April 10, 2000
Suedd@aol.com (Fort Lauderdale, Florida) - See all my reviews
This is an excellent companion cookbook for any of the Heller's programs, or any other program controlling your carbohydrate intake. The recipes in this cookbook are easy to prepare, using normal pantry ingredients. Most of the recipes are not run-of-the-mill items, these recipes were written so that anyone controlling their carbohydrates will have choices of delicious, easy meals. Many of these new recipes have now become staples in my home. Try it, I know you'll like it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Same old, same old, April 9, 2000
By A Customer
I was eagerly anticipating this latest publication by the Hellers. After reading through it I must say I am quite disappointed. The vast majority of the "recipes" are extremely simplistic and could have been thought up by almost anyone. I was really expecting some NEWER and innovative recipes. This book is a good starter for anyone who doesn't have any low carb cookbooks at all. If you are a newbie to the low carb way of life then this book is for you. If, on the other hand, you have been on any low carb program for any length of time, you are probably familiar with most of these types of recipes and I'm sorry to say that what's in this "new" cookbook is more of the same old, same old. The Hellers are great people and thier programs are fantastic, it's just too bad their recipes are not.

Rate and Discover Movies