4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read!
Published on January 11, 2012 by Bookworm

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Story, Needs Editing
Published on March 22, 2012 by kp

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Story, Needs Editing, March 22, 2012
This review is from: The Caretakers (Kindle Edition)
The author writes a thoughtful story of family dynamics involving themes such as physical and emotional absence, the consequences of actions, and varying levels of openness and communication. I appreciated the author's treatment of the characters' assumptions in the absence of facts. The philosophical/literary quotes at the start of chapters were an interesting addition.

The novel's quality, however, suffered as a result of problems with grammar and story detail. A few of the spelling and word use errors included: eminent vs. imminent, range and furry vs. rage and fury, starred vs. stared. I think most of the grammar errors appear in portions written in the first-person voice of 10-11 year-old Caroline, a voice which, I thought, rang too immature at times for her character (e.g. "The mostest excellentest part..."). Caroline's first-person viewpoint seems to be her written account of her family's story, so perhaps these writing errors were intended by the author.(?) Either way, they were annoying.

There were also holes in the storyline that needed correction or clarification. For instance, early in the story, Caroline explains that she has two cousins: her cousin Mitch is her Uncle Jack's son and her cousin Cecil is her Uncle John's son. But, later in the story, Cecil's parents are referred to as Jack and Dottie. Later still, Cecil's parents are referred to as Jim and Dottie.

The novel has the makings of a good story, but the grammatical errors and story detail issues were frustrating, and could have been remedied by some editing.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Great Read!, January 11, 2012
This review is from: The Caretakers (Kindle Edition)
This book is a great read that embodies sorrow, humor, humility, and loss. Caroline was a convincing character that we have all encountered (and enjoyed) at some point of our being. The mischievous experiences of Rho, Mitch, and Cecil immersed me back to the 1970's spending summers with my own cousins. The underlying hint of political debate was secondary to Nosler's clear depiction of the complication of family relationships. The Caretakers is very entertaining and leaves you with the faith that there can be recovery after terminal loss at any age.

5.0 out of 5 stars A true page-turner!, February 17, 2012
Leslie Warren (Salt Lake City, UT) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Caretakers (Kindle Edition)
My book club just read this book for our February book and we all loved it every page! It's a powerful story that deals with love, family, grief and loss. I enjoyed the multiple conflicts with each individual character and how their struggles were related and intertwined. I also loved how it was written through the eyes of a child.

The way the writer leads you through this book is both dramatic and emotional, making the reader feel connected with the characters. The main lesson of The Caretakers is this: To accept what you cannot change.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who wants a thought provoking book about family and their unrevealed truths. It's a page-turner!

2.0 out of 5 stars serious problems with kindle version, April 20, 2012
This review is from: The Caretakers (Kindle Edition)
I downloaded this on my kindle and am very irritated with the quality of editing. Regardless of the storyline, there are so many typos and editorial problems that make the novel very difficult to read. There are lines of the text that are jumbled and as other reviewers have said grammatical errors. I hate to give a negative review based on these problems since I haven't finished reading it, but they're very distracting errors--especially the line typing errors. Entire sentences and paragraphs are out of order making it difficult to decipher meaning from the text.

1.0 out of 5 stars If reading quality books is important to you, do NOT waste your money on this book!, January 9, 2012
This review is from: The Caretakers (Kindle Edition)
BUYER BEWARE! This disaster of a book is a prime example of the poor quality of reading material often churned out by many self-published authors. I have no idea where this particular author found NINETEEN people who were willing to write positive reviews of her book (perhaps they are all friends and family?). Her work is chock full of glaring grammatical errors, poor spelling ("mellow-dramatic", for example--no, I am not kidding!), incorrect word choice (recant, prance, regime, detect--and many, many more), unbelievable characters (including a child who declares her grief ended within a week or so of her cousin's death), and a muddy and confusing plot timeline. If you do not find issues of this sort to be an impediment to an enjoyable reading experience, you might appreciate this book. The underlying messages are laudable: pro-lifers and pro-choicers should try and understand each other; parents need to pay attention to their children. Sadly, these messages are likely to be lost in the deep weeds of the truly terrible writing of an "author" who is unclear on the difference between "to" and "too"!

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, November 4, 2011
This review is from: The Caretakers (Paperback)
I don't think I'll ever look at a suit of cards the same way again!

I admit I have a weakness for books that center around families. I loved how the author weaved two different timelines into this story and even though part of it is during the time of Roe v Wade, it's not preachy one way or the other. The Caretakers was an enjoyable read about dealing with loss and family secrets.

4.0 out of 5 stars good read, December 3, 2012
This review is from: The Caretakers (Kindle Edition)
I really liked this book. At the beginning i couldn't figure out what was going on but the story fit tightly and was good from beginning to end. I cared about all of the characters . I came away with lots of different feeling but one that seems to run through most of life is lack of communication. If people would just talk.

4.0 out of 5 stars Caretakers is hard to put down, April 6, 2012
This review is from: The Caretakers (Paperback)
I liked the beginning of the book, it reminded me of summers past and the joys of childhood. The middle of the book was a bit slow but by the time I reached the last few chapters it all fell into place. I enjoyed how the characters matured and grew. About the only thing I wished would have happened is for Jasper to have Nathan Comber was not the father of Mabel's child and the cause of her pain.
Overall I enjoyed the book alot, and had the middle and ending been a bit better I would have given it 5 stars!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read!, February 29, 2012
This review is from: The Caretakers (Kindle Edition)
I judge a book by how well it keeps my interest. I had a hard time putting this book down! It was a great read!

5.0 out of 5 stars couldn't put it down, January 17, 2012
This review is from: The Caretakers (Paperback)
i don't even know where to begin. at first, i was unsure of how the author switches between events, given that there was quite some time passing between them. but, once i got into the meat of the story (which didn't take long) i began to fall into an understanding of where she was going with the time line.

i really enjoyed the multiple conflicts with each individual character and how they all syncronized in the end. each person was battling their own sorrow and loss without knowing how much each grief was related and intertwined.

i couldn't put the book down. i wanted to know "whodunit", "was he the one", "did she finally tell jasper"...

i would highly recommend this read. fabulous work Shauna, fabulous.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›