Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Train egg_2015 All-New Amazon Fire TV Luxury Beauty Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer bf15 bf15 bf15 $30 Off Amazon Echo $15 Off All-New Fire Kindle Black Friday Deals Black Friday Video Game Deals Outdoor Deals on PlasmaCar

on October 23, 2009
I loved The Cartoonist! It was extremely entertaining and educational. I learned a lot about an industry I find fascinating. This is an incredible look inside Jeff Smith and his global "Bone" phenomenon as well the world of comic books and self-publishing. I highly recommend this DVD for anyone... but especially those interested in comic books, the comic arts and graphic novels. It's also a must-have for aspiring cartoonists as there is a wealth of information packed inside. This DVD is great!!
on January 11, 2010
This video is a 76 min. documentary about Jeff Smith and his life before, during, and after the creation of the Bone graphic novel epic. It's exceptionally well produced and includes many interview segments with Jeff, Scott McCloud, and Jeff's friends/co-conspirators who worked with him for decades.

In the documentary you'll discover the origins of all the Bone characters and the lengthy process Smith went through to achieve the completion of his graphic novel.

One of the most interesting segments of this video is that it reveals Jeff's seven year stint as a part-owner of a small animation studio doing corporate/commercial work. Smith and McCloud describe how that experience helped translate and realize the vision behind Bone. It's especially pertinent for new comics artists and cartoonists. For me, it was the missing link to understanding WHY the art within Bone is so good, aside from technical expertise.

One bonus feature included on this DVD is an 82 min. discussion between Scott McCloud and Jeff Smith that took place at Ohio State University in front of a live audience. Combined with the primary video on the DVD, that totals over 2.5 hours of quality content.

Also included is a brief introduction by Jeff Smith to his latest project, RASL.

Overall, this DVD is a must-have for anyone looking to create their own graphic novels. It serves as inspiration and a guide, revealing insights to the process and what it takes to succeed. Highly Recommended!
on September 14, 2014
An excellent documentary about one of the greatest cartoonist of our generation.
on May 23, 2014
The production value was pretty cheezy and while it was kind of decent overview of Jeff Smith's career I hoped it would go a little more into his process. I think this is aimed at a young audience but could have been really so much more for illustrators/artists looking to learn from one of the greats. Perhaos Jeff would consider doing a class.
on September 3, 2013
I bought this DVD to watch with my teenage daughter, who like me is a big fan of Bone, the cartoon epic created by Jeff Smith which tells the story of how three small-town characters find themselves in a world where dragons and humans are pitted in battle with evil spirits and rat creatures and a host of other nasties. The story, originally contained in one large black and white volume, was reissued by Scholastic a few years ago as nine full colour comic books and they are fantastic. The film starts well, explaining how Smith started drawing at a very young age and how he came up with the initial Bone character. He talks about the influence of Tolkien and various other comics he read. And then the film hits cement and all we see are various "experts" and friends telling us how great Smith is. There is no explanation for the significance of the various creatures he devised and no explanation of what deeper message there might be to his work, just a bunch of talking heads telling us yet again how good Smith is. The DVD is only 76-minutes long but it feels much more than that by the time it finally ends.
on June 13, 2014
I love Bone. I think that Jeff Smith is probably a pretty decent guy. That said, this documentary feels bizarre. So much of it is dedicated to the topics of popularity and trying to persuade the audience that comic artists are rock stars that it just sort of leaves a bad taste in your mouth. The narration sounds like a tour guide at Disneyland, the scoring feels wrong throughout (like some stock music was used by a dispassionate editor). Many of the right people were interviewed, but it feels like the director didn't know what questions to ask, didn't know what to cut out and leave in, and probably doesn't understand comics as a genre.

We hear a little bit about the genesis of Bone and the self-publishing challenges that Jeff Smith faced, and I wish that we heard a lot more about that. We also hear a lot of Smith comparing his storytelling to Star Wars and Lord of the Rings, and it's just kind of a sad comparison. I hope that the Bone films someday materialize and that they reach the same kind of widespread appeal that Lucas and Tolkien have found, but to make a film like this before any of that has happened seems pretty lame.
VINE VOICEon February 18, 2010
This took me back. I was a comic dealer in 1992 an bought a lot of the books that Jeff was talking about. I remember my first prints 1 - 6 and how cool I thought they were. My wife even read the things and that was a first for me. Made a lot of money off the things too. Anyway, tells the story of the indy artist while focusing on jeff smith and bone. Tells how he came up with the story and how he got through writing the comic and what he plans to do later on somewhat. I met Jeff a long time ago and thought it was neat then. After seeing the dvd I am even more impressed with him and his story. Anyway, if you want to know about a cool story inside of a cool story either buy it or rent it. Anyway, just see it. On a side note, if the person you are seeing it with has no clue who Jeff Smith or bone is they will hate it.