5.0 out of 5 stars The case of the flashing fashion queen
This was a fun and funny read. I loved the book from start to finish. It isn't very often an authors book makes me laugh out loud but Norah Wilson is one of the few. Dix Dodd is a very likable character who ends up in some pretty funny situations. Nicely done Ms. Wilson!
Published on August 20, 2011 by Bookmom

3.0 out of 5 stars has some good points, but......
Published on July 23, 2011 by E. Durham

5.0 out of 5 stars The case of the flashing fashion queen, August 20, 2011
This review is from: The Case of the Flashing Fashion Queen: A Dix Dodd Mystery (Dix Dodd Mysteries Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

3.0 out of 5 stars has some good points, but......, July 23, 2011
E. Durham (lakehurst, nj) - See all my reviews
I realy cannot agree with all these 5 star ratings. The book is ok, the characters have potential. I liked them more towards the end than the beginning so I think character developemnet is essential if this plans to be a series. As for the protagonist Ms Dodd, I find myself at times relating, but more often than not I would like to strangle her. The self doubt bit is tedious and time consuming. You cannot prove to us she is a confident go getter by simply writing it.As comparing her to The Stephanie Plum series by Ms Evanovich is insulting to Ms E. This series does not grab you and run like the other, but it has the potential of improvement so I gave it a 3. It was an ok read. And don't bother trying to figure out who done it...there are no clues that will lead you to it...oh excuse me there was one obscure clue...a word. As to why the spa chick had to be in the gather them all together and reveal moment???? What can I say I gave it a 3 because it is 98 degees at the top of the mountain today and it was a cheap order on the kindle...so it killed a few hours....but the writing is often stilted, the characters are pretty one dimensional. However the plot had potential and the charisma between the 2 leads is good, but Mrs. P ain't no grandma Mazur.

2.0 out of 5 stars Skipped 10 chapters and didn't miss ..., August 30, 2011
... anything. Obviously that's not entirely accurate, but I don't feel I missed out on any good storytelling, that's for sure. This book is presently free on Kindle. At that price, I'm still sorry I wasted my time reading what I did of it, but you can certainly afford to see for yourself. I'd be disappointed if I'd paid to read it, as it's just not that good. The main characters are serviceable. I'm sure they will grow with the series, but I found the police detective to be over the top. He was just a little too rigidly angry. The only minor character of note was the hotel owner Mrs. Presley. She has potential. Most positive reviews speak of what "fun" this story is. Hmmm ... I didn't find it fun at all. The mystery was pedestrian. Offing someone for love isn't very original. And some of the situations seemed absurd. I doubt very much that it's possible to be hired over the phone for a job at a health spa, for example. That's the kind of thing you have to swallow if you're going to like this tale. I was also a little troubled by the lust Dodd had for her assistant. She's 40, he's 28. I'm all for women being adventurous sexually, but it's not really appropriate for a boss, be they male or female, to lust after their employee. And Dodd's frequent commenting to self about keeping her lust under control just got tedious. Still ... as I said, it's free on Kindle now, so see for yourself what to think, but I'd definitely go in with very low expectations.

5.0 out of 5 stars A whole lot of fun, July 24, 2011
I just finished the first Dix Dodd mystery and loved it. It was awesomely entertaining, with a good mystery and some kick butt characters. There were some wonderful laugh out loud moments, but what I really liked was the hint of vulnerability in Dix. She was so tough and was often larger than life, but that vulnerability made her someone I could relate to. As for Dylan - wow. I look forward to seeing where that relationship goes. I've already downloaded book number two to my Kindle and can't wait to read it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very light read, February 23, 2013
When you want a mystery book you don't have to think too hard about! Haha! Would've been a lot better and lighter without the obligatory crude language. Why do authors/writers (movies, tv) think it makes them sound funnier/smarter when they curse? I thought the point of being a writer was being creative? I think it's their way of dumbing things down for the masses. Such a shame. I digress and step down from my soap box...

4.0 out of 5 stars Was it perfect? No, but it sure was fun., September 11, 2011
I didn't order this book expecting profound knowledge with a deeper meaning that made me question the very essence of who I am. I ordered it because I wanted a silly, fun, light read and that's exactly what I got. I love series where you can really get to know the characters and form a bond with them. I am a fan of Stephanie Plum, Hannah Swenson and MJ Holliday and I think that Dix Dodd could hold her own against any of them. This book had some great plot twists and a developing romance and some laugh out loud moments. What more could you ask of a book? I wont' go into a plot summary because I know there are already some very fine ones about this book. I will say that I would definitely order more from this author. I want to see where Dix heads to next and what develops (if anything at all) between her and Dylan. I would love to learn more about the owner of the motel. I'm sure she's got loads of interesting stories to tell. I would give this book a solid 4.5 stars.

2.0 out of 5 stars A Waste of Time, September 5, 2011
A waste of time, but if you're looking for a time-killer, maybe this is perfect. I kept reading, thinking that with all the 5 star reviews it would get better, but it didn't. The characters are clunky, the situations contrived, and the guilty party obvious after a few chapters. A lot of people like this book and find the spunky Ms Dodd appealing. but I wouldn't bother.

1.0 out of 5 stars Too much profanity, June 29, 2013
I think the plot is great but the profanity was a little more than I could take. I know this doesn't bother some people but for those like me...

3.0 out of 5 stars Quirky & Fun, September 7, 2011
Gina Mackey "Krow" (Mountain Northwest) - See all my reviews
I enjoyed the Flashing Fashion Queen & would like to read more like it. The mystery was involved enough that even after I guessed who did it, I kept second guessing myself until the end. I enjoyed having a lead character that was closer to my own age with more realistic trials that she has overcome and things that she struggles with daily.

I liked that even though the book did have some serious points it maintained it's fun & quirky voice throughout.
The secondary characters were all fun & well developed, I especially liked Mrs. Presley. I enjoyed the atmosphere & back stories that were developed for everyone.

**SPOILER**
I get the whole cougar thing. Really I do. Forty and Flirty. Fifty & Nifty. Grey hair is sexy. I got it. However in this book the lead character was developed as a forty-something that really wasn't interested in sex. She enjoyed watching her assistant & that was a big part of her character, the semi-guilty glances and naughty fantasies, but getting a chance to follow through with the naughty assistant flies in the face of the character's established background & personality. Some may disagree mightily with me, but this book, this whole series would have been far better off if Dix kept her pants on, especially when it comes to the assistant.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun Mystery, January 13, 2014
Dr. Sally Ann Michlin (Westport, CT United States) - See all my reviews
The Case of the Flashing Fashion Queen is a page turner that is difficult to put down. The characters are colorful and complex. Not until the very end can you guess who the murderer is. My only negative comment is the title which makes the book seem like airhead reading, which it, certainly, isn't.