I must begin my review with a confession. As a parent of an only child, I was interviewed by Dr. Newman for this book. She asked me about a wide variety of issues facing parents of only children. When the book came out on June 1st, I was excited to read how she translated all the issues.
This book is very comprehensive in that it addresses so many issues facing...
Published on June 7, 2011 by Beth-Ann

3.0 out of 5 stars Mostly anecdotal
I bought this book hoping to get some tips on raising an only child. While there are a few, it's mainly full of anecdotes from parents who claim they had or want (some are young enough to change their minds) only one child. I suppose the book works to help ease the guilt of those who feel the pressure or obligation to have more than one child, but not much beyond that.
Published on January 16, 2012 by ConsDemo

5.0 out of 5 stars For Anyone Who Has Ever Been Asked, "When Are You Having Another Child?", June 7, 2011
This review is from: The Case for the Only Child: Your Essential Guide (Paperback)
This book is very comprehensive in that it addresses so many issues facing parents of only children. From how to deal with people who insist you need another child to blatant myths associated with the personalities of only children, Dr. Newman deals openly, honestly and supportively with the topics. I highly reccommend this book to anyone who has questioned or second guessed their decision to have one child. I also reccommend this book to anyone that has ever had to deal with that intrusive question, "When are you going to have another child?" Furthermore, I reccommend this book to anyone studying economics, sociology or psychology. If more people would read Dr. Newman's book, perhaps we'd live in a more understanding, accepting world!

5.0 out of 5 stars makes sense to us, October 14, 2012
My wife and I are very, very happy with our one child. Our daughter is so happy having mom and dad to herself. Having one child is so easy it is like having none at all. The older they get the easier it is. I see so many of our friends struggle daily with managing more then one kid. My wife's friends are envious of her all the time. I have shared this book with multiple young moms, who are feeling the pressure of having a 2nd child. They hug me after they read this book. A single child family is the new normal American family, especially in these tough times. Use common sense families and be smart about how many kids they REALLY need. Be one and DONE.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mostly anecdotal, January 16, 2012

1.0 out of 5 stars The case for the worst book I have read in a long time., January 21, 2013
This book is terrible. It does not present any evidence or research to support the author's case - it is just a bunch of anecdotes from parents of only children who seem to be trying to convince themselves they made the right decision.

The gist of the book is - having kids is hard, and expensive and siblings fight a lot so why make it double-hard or expensive with having two (or more) kids? The author makes an argument that kids are so caught up in electronics these days, that parents who think their siblings will play together are mistaken because they will just play with their electronics. So that is a reason to only have one kid (???)

My favorite part is when the author presents a list of only children to show how successful they can be - comprised of mostly actors and actresses, who I tend to think are some of the least well-adjusted people and probably not the best examples.

I forced myself to read the entire book to see if it got better. Sadly, it didn't. And to top off the fact that the "arguments" are nonsensical, the book is so poorly written and disjointed it is hard to follow the author's train of thought.

Save yourself the money and skip this one.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good but too one-sided, October 19, 2011
I wanted ta book to talk about the benefits of having only one child. And this book did that. At the same time, it was really too one-sided. It only talked about the benefit of having one and why that's better. I guess I was really looking for the benefits and tough parts of having one, or having two. And I was also looking for how to help my child grow up as an only child, and this book didn't cover that really.

I also didn't like that this book seemed to assume that the parents always work outside the home. I do, but not everyone does.

The title is apt though--it is truly "The case for an only child."

4.0 out of 5 stars Insightful Book, April 3, 2013
Great book supporting the choice of having an only child with facts and data, and addressing the insecurities and societal pressures one faces in making that choice. The book also addresses the flawed stereotype of the only child.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Research!, October 3, 2011
Mich69 (Brookline, Ma USA) - See all my reviews
As a mom of an only child and documentarian making a film about only children, I picked up this book with great interest and was not disappointed. It's full of clear, concise info and written in a warm, accessible tone. Ms. Newman has definitely made a successful case for having one child!

Michelle Cove

5.0 out of 5 stars Must read!!, June 8, 2011
I would highly recommend this book to all closest friends. Everything I have ever questioned about parenting an only child was touched on in this this book. Dr. Newman is brilliant! Can't wait to read her next book.

1.0 out of 5 stars Ugh, June 17, 2013
We were given this to us by a friend who also has only one child. I suppose if one NEEDS a case because one is insecure or feels overly pressured or easily offended or...you name it...go ahead, read the book. It's about parenting, people, plain and simple! Any supposed study can make the case for or against having only one child or having more than one. Selfish, maladjusted, spoiled, quiet children come from all sizes of families.

I had to stop reading this shortly into chapter 4. It just smacked of a bunch of whiners who have difficulty telling people to mind their own business or family members to butt-out or, perhaps, even parents who are so maladjusted themselves they need to commiserate with others who feel bad about having one or questioning their decision not to have more. The book was all over the place, difficult to follow, and almost unreadable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, July 13, 2014
Good book

The Case for the Only Child: Your Essential Guide
The Case for the Only Child: Your Essential Guide by Susan Newman (Paperback - June 1, 2011)
$14.95 $9.96