Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Cat in the Hat - Dr. Seuss
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Jake Owen Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on May 23, 2011
This is great at .99¢! Not sure I would pay $4 though! My 2 year old loves it on auto play. It could definitely be a little more interactive instead of just showing the words when you touch something.
on May 29, 2011
My 2 1/2 year old loves when I read this book to him and was mesmerized with the autoplay, we can't wait for Horton. I suppose we'll be collecting these like we did the books.
on May 27, 2011
This brings me so much joy as an adult, and the possibility of a child not enjoying reading books like this doesn't even compute
"The Cat in the Hat" is a children's picture book by Theodor Seuss Geisel, who's better known by his pen name, Dr. Seuss. It was published in 1957 as the first of the Random House "Beginner Books" series, and it's become one of the best known books by Dr. Seuss.

I've read several of the Dr. Seuss interactive children's books developed by Oceanhouse Media, and they've all been very enjoyable. Oceanhouse has done a fine job of creating interactive books that hold kids' attention with their sound effects, illustrations, and interactive features. The app actually enhances the original printed book, since even a child who hasn't learned to read yet can enjoy the story. It's an effective learning experience as kids learn the alphabet and simple vocabulary words both visually and by the spoken word.

The story can be read in any of three modes:
1. Read the book yourself, swiping pages when you're ready for the next page.
2. Let a narrator read the book aloud, with you swiping the pages when you're ready for the next page.
3. Auto-Play. Same as #2, but the pages turn automatically.

In any mode, touching an object causes the name of the object to appear with a vocal pronunciation of the object. Touching a word brings a vocal pronunciation of the word. This works in any of the three reading modes.

The Cat in the Hat is still in print in both paper and ebook versions, but in my opinion the app is just as effective a learning experience, and it's even more fun with its sound effects and interactive features.
on May 22, 2011
I was lucky to find this on sale for $.99, but even at full price this is a worthwhile purchase. Oceanhouse Media is producing some fantastic storybook apps. I with they'd get more for the Android platform (and I hope more go on sale or are offered as an Amazon free app of the day). This app is of exceedingly high quality. It looks fantastic on my rooted Nook Color. The only hesitation I had when I rooted my Nook Color and overwrote its internal memory with the CyanogenMod ROM was that I would lose the device's ability to run kids' Read & Play Nook Books. This app and its related apps basically do what the Nook's Read & Plan books do (maybe better). Until Barnes & Noble updates its Nook app on the Android Market so it plays its Read & Play books (it just added magazines & newspapers), apps like this one and the others from its developer will keep me an my child happy. I seriously hope this dev is able to expand is line of children's books on Android.
on May 24, 2011
This runs very smooth on my Nook Color running the CM7 mod off a micro SD card. This is actually a very good comparison between the B&N interface vs a much more stock android system. I actually bought this on the Nook Apps store and on the B&N interface it was so slow and choppy it wasn't usable. But here it's perfectly smooth and my daughter really enjoys it. I figured it was worth $0.99 to see how it runs. It was. On the Nook apps store it was $3.99.
on December 27, 2012
I think any child who loves the Cat in the Hat would love this app, especially if they cannot read much yet. The app allows them to follow along with the story as it is being read or read it themselves. Also, when they click on the words, the app will say the word out loud. When they click on the pictures, it shows the word over the picture and highlights the word in the text. It is just enough interaction to be engaging to a younger child without being overpowering. I think if the child already read well, it may not be a good app for them.
on May 22, 2011
My daughter and I enjoy having this handy on the road. quality audio, well paced. Hard to pay for books we have, but the production value makes up for it. Will consider more from developer. I paid 3.99, would pay .99 in a second, hope they reduce others.
on May 21, 2011
My son loves swiping the pages and pressing all the pictures. It does have two small black bars on the side of my xoom but it looks and sounds great. I wish all of the Dr. Seuss books were only a dollar.
on February 22, 2016
This is another wonderful classic from Dr. Seuss. I love that it is eBook form now. It has different setting a where I can read it to my children, or you can turn on auto play so it reads the book to the kids. They can also interact by touching different places on the screen and it will tell you what you just touched is. My girls will ask to read this book to each other.