Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Pink Floyd Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

VINE VOICEon July 19, 2008
Jim Qwilleran wakes up in the hospital and can't remember much. He keeps thinking he has forgotten to do something. It is a nagging thought in the back of his mind. He knew it was something important. He longtime friend Arch Riker shows up and fast forwards Qwill through his life. Luckily he remembers...the cats!

As it turns out the bike wreck that landed him in the hospial was no accident. His investigation (led by Koko) of a former housekeeper of the mansion, who vanished mysteriously five years before, leads to much mystery and intrigue.

I loved this edition of "The Cat Who..." books, especially where Koko played piano. A piano playing cat is a rare find. This book will not disappoint you.
VINE VOICEon August 9, 2006
In the 6th book in The Cat Who...series, James Qwilleran aka "Qwill", is just settling in to his new life as a millionaire in Pickaxe City (400 miles north of everywhere). He has moved his two beautiful Siamese cats (KoKo and Yum Yum) into the old Klingenschoen mansion and is settling in for a five year stay to fulfill the requirements of Aunt Fanny's will.

As the book begins, Qwill is lying in a hospital bed, suffering from amnesia caused by a bicycle accident. His old friend, Arch Riker, flies into town to assist Qwill in regaining his memory, and succeeds in bringing Qwill out of his fog. While beginning to heal, Qwill starts to have vivid dreams of the moments leading up to the mishap, and eventually remembers that it was no accident...a truck had purposefully run him off the road! While trying to piece together who may have meant to harm him, Qwill begins some renovations to his new home. During his explorations of the mansion, Qwill stumbles across the room of a former employee, Daisy. Her room was completely painted with a graffiti style mural of daisies, and it arouses Qwill's keen curiosity. He begins to ask questions about the former employee of Fanny, and finds that Daisy disappeared rather abruptly. And when everyone that Qwilleran speaks to about her begins to have "accidents", he becomes suspicious that someone will kill to keep Daisy hidden forever.

This is my favorite cozy mystery series! I had read all of the books in the past, and wanted to read them again for a second time. This time around, I have chosen to listen to them on CD, as I love the voice of George Guidall. I am happily rediscovering how Qwill became a resident of Moose County, and how many of the series regulars join him from "down below". In this installment, Qwill hires Iris Cobb as his house manager. She cooks for him (and the cats), and is in charge of cataloging all of the antiques in the old mansion. For those that have not read the series, I do recommend reading the first several first. Many others can be intermixed, but this book offers good insight as to how Qwill became associated with Moose County. This is a great series by my favorite author!

The first book in the series is called "The Cat who Could Read Backwards". Enjoy!
on October 8, 2005
At first when I started to hear the tapes, I was thinking that the narrator's voice was not dynamic enough. But by the middle of the first tape, I was ok with it. I've just gotten so tired of listening to Los Angeles radio stations in the car (we sit in traffic a lot out here) that I thought it would be nice to be entertained by something I really love. I was glad I did. Even if you've read the books in the past, it's fun to let the narrator do the reading for you. AND... something I thought was neat and that made me laugh was... when the narrator would be talking about Koko and Yumyum and a noise they were making, he would sound EXACTLY like my own Siamese cat. So it made it funny, because I knew exactly the "language" he was referring to. (He must have studied Siamese cats before attempting this narration!)

Anyway, I will probably buy more "Cat Who" books on tape. I don't anticipate L.A. traffic to be letting up anytime soon. And for some strange reason, listening to it in the car makes me feel like my own cat is in there with me. I say if you live in a city with heavy traffic... buy the tapes!
on January 21, 1999
This is number 6 in "The Cat Who ... " series. Qwill (now wealthy) and the cats settle down in Moose County. Mrs. Cobb, the antique dealer from an earlier book, joins them to manage the household. Qwill believes a murder has taken place and is determined to find out what happened. Like all the books in the series, this one is a page-turner.
VINE VOICEon January 7, 2004
This 6th book in the series opens with Qwill, the new heir to the Klingenschoen fortune, trying to remember just who and where he is. As he remembers flashbacks cover the events leading up to the accident that lead to his amnesia, or was it an accident? Along the way Qwill, with the guidance of his cats, solves the long ago disappearance of a housemaid and encouters a scandal involving a the oldest most respected Moose County family.
Qwill's relocation to Moose County has been eased by friends, both old and new. His long time friend Arch Riker has come up north for a visit, a former land lady, Iris Cobb has relocated to Pickaxe to become his housekeeper. Qwill's romance with Dr. Melinda, begun in the previous book, is continuing. Other Moose County residents, both from the eariler Cat Who Played Brahms and new to this book appear.
This 'cozy' mystery will appeal more to those already familiar with the series although it could be enjoyed on its own merits by a mystery fan. A reader new to the series could also begin here.
on February 17, 2005
The Cat Who is the best serries ever full of humor wit and complexity,

James Macentosh Qwilerin is a off beat repoter/Billion air with his 2 cats Koko and Yumyum who are no shorter than extra ordinary.

This is the best book serries I have ever read and would recomend it to any one over 10.

Trevor Oliver

12 Years old
on May 13, 2014
Light, entertaining murder mystery book in a good-sized series, "The Cat Who . . . ." books, which a friend gave me three or four of with some comfortable pajama bottoms and sweat pants prior to my having hip replacement surgery. All were perfect fits, including the books, and I became so enamored of the cat who books that I started buying all the Kindle versions and all the paperbacks that weren't available for my HP Touchpad (also available for Kindles). Jim Qwilleran, the hero with two Siamese cats, one of whom is psychic and helps him dope out murder mysteries, is a sociable bachelor with many friends who is or was a crime reporter, depending on the time period of the book, and is a talented detective with friends on the police force wherever he is. He has a fascinating life story, which is revealed over the course of the book series. I don't know what I'll do when I finish the last of the "Cat Who" series. They've been wonderful fun during my convalescence.
on July 15, 2013
My wife was always a fan of the "Cat Who" books; I had to check the book store and make sure I brought the latest release hone. However I never read one. The other day I noticed a couple of the books on the shelf and decided I should read one. But I prefer reading on my kindle white.
The plot involves a murder mystery with a complicated, convoluted plot that Braun is noted for. The suspense builds to the very end. One of the two cats is hardly mentioned but the other does supply a key clue at the very end. I was disappointed that both cats were not an integral part of the plot as it developed.
If you are a mystery fan and looking for something a little bit different, the book is a pleasant read.
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 29, 2005
These are great stories Lillian Jackson Braun does a wonderful job of writing. I hope to one day have all the Audio Tapes in the series. Amazon.com is a great company to do bussiness with.
on July 7, 2001
This book starts off very interestingly with Qwill not knowing who or where he is due to falling off his bicycle on Ittibittiwassee Road. This provides some very interesting reading material at the beginning because his best friend Riker comes to his hospital room and has to refresh Qwill's mind on his past. So, consequently, the reader is filled in on a lot of Qwill's life up to that point. Some of which we already knew, some we didn't! This whole book is, of course, interesting and Koko and Yum Yum are adorable. This paragraph from the book will give you a good idea about the cats... "'CHFFF!' The Siamese were still under the table. Yum Yum was looking for a shoelace to untie, and Koko was listening to the guests' voices with rapt concentration."