5.0 out of 5 stars Appealing for All Ages, February 14, 1999
By A Customer
This is a wonderful book for children of all ages (I'm forty-something and I still love it). It tells the story of three mountains who receive mail order catalogs ( yes, they have mail boxes) and the items they subsequently order. It is a fanciful story with whimsical black and white ink drawn illustrations. Jasper Tomkins' unique imagination makes this a special book which I hope I'll never outgrow.

5.0 out of 5 stars My childhood shared with my kids!, June 14, 2012
This review is from: The Catalog (Paperback)
I was so excited to finally find this book! This was one of my favorite books literally in the 2nd-3rd grade. Now that I have kids that age, I am so happy that I get to share this book with them -- and they love it too!! I have three boys which is why they love it because they all pick a "mountain" they would like to be :) My nephews have enjoyed it as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars my favorite book since 1986, November 5, 2012
In 1986 Jasper Tomkins read to my class at Lake Forrest Park elementary in Seattle, Washington. He autographed my book and it became my favorite. I read it to my kids and they now love it! It's worn around the edges but still in great shape. I'm going to buy one for my nephew!

5.0 out of 5 stars A Must-read for every family!, March 10, 2012
I don't know what made me remember this book tonight. I'm thirty-one years old. I was approximately five to seven years old when Mr. Tompkins visited us at the Ritzville school library. He read "The Catalog" to y class. I bought a copy of the book and Mr. Tompkins placed his name in the inside cover next to a quick sketch of a mountain and a bear. I had forgotten the book till tonight, when a came to the sad realization that I do not possess the book anymore and I have no idea where or when I lost it. I love the simple line drawings and the fun and simple story of cooperation and friendship and sharing. What an exciting book for a child to learn those traits from!

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful story - lessons there but they don't beat you over the head, January 9, 2014
This review is from: The Catalog (Paperback)
This is a sweet book. It talks about the difference between just wanting a pet, and taking care of it. But that's all in the background - the foreground is a story about kind mountains, who do something thoughtless, and then make it right, and there is a nice twist at the end. My 6 year old loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A family favorite, October 10, 2012
Lennon D. Blachly "Jaro!" (Hood River, OR United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Catalog (Paperback)
My children received this when they were young (signed by the author), and it was always a favorite! A wonderful story about caring, sharing, and thoughtfulness, not to mention learning responsibility for pets. Highly recommend this!

5.0 out of 5 stars Memories, September 27, 2002
As a child, I loved this book, and still own my copy of it! I would recommend it for anyone with children as a simple, fun story. Take a look, and see what you might order

5.0 out of 5 stars Great story!, February 3, 2015
This review is from: The Catalog (Paperback)
This book is wonderful. My 8 y/o loves it.

The Catalog
The Catalog by Jasper Tomkins (Paperback - May 1, 2003)
$10.50 $9.45