5.0 out of 5 stars Solid Series Addition
Published 19 months ago by Twopony

3.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to love this book, but...
I did want to love this book. I had read the first and was on the fence, then I moved onto the second.

Published 10 months ago by osmosisinc

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid Series Addition, February 14, 2013
This review is from: The Catherine Kimbridge Chronicles #2, Redemption (Kindle Edition)
The Catherine Kimbridge Chronicles #2, Redemption is a fun read for SciFi fans. I like all the characters, especially Cat and Admiral Faragon. The acceptance and immediate trust shown by the majority of the aliens introduced in this book was somewhat unique, based on other SciFi books. It is refreshing to read how different races can meet and not start killing each other the first second. Certainly, if you are exploring space in the hope of finding Alien races, you certainly need an open mind. The Heche technology give Terrans a tremendous advantage over other species. The book does contain a lot of different plot lines concerning the different characters, however they all come together by the ending of the book. Hope the next book comes out sooner rather than later. Also, would enjoy longer length book just because I like Cat Kimbridge.

3.0 out of 5 stars I wanted to love this book, but..., November 8, 2013
osmosisinc (Charlotte, NC) - See all my reviews

The positive is that the book has some really clever, well-thought out concepts. It doesn't break it's own rules, and in general the books so far have been fairly entertaining. These are some almost great stories. I mean they are light. They are not going to change the world, but they certainly had some serious entertainment value in my opinion.

On the flip-side: (maybe spoilers) No one is really that good-hearted and mild-mannered. Well, I take that back. Maybe a few are. Maybe in the future everyone becomes a gospel slinging care-bear, but that don't sync with human nature as I know it. I could get behind some of the characters being so saintly, but every single one of them? Even the antagonists end up just being misunderstood good creatures. Everyone is a saint of some sort. Death is just brushed off by a mild hand touch. One character had a moral lapse for like ten minutes and felt guilty for perhaps the rest of the book. I did like that conflict was not met with lethal force with more of a defensive posture, but that wasn't even frustrating?

I could have done without the proselytizing as well. I mean, I get that the author is a priest or some-such. But in this instance I am meeting the author, not the sermon-giver. I didn't mind so much the first book because it was kind of a centered all encompassing god. Many religions can get behind that. But in the second book, we are getting very clearly Christian with bible quotes with verse and all. Now you might think I am over-reacting, and maybe I am. I couldn't help being reminded of the times I went to temple with my father and there were groups of people outside during our holy day trying to "save" us. By being Jewish, we were doomed. Never mind that we had two surgeons in the temple that had saved countless lives. Never mind that perhaps we had our own relationship with god. So now I am reading my favorite genre of book, and being reminded that the majority of the US population thinks I am going to hell. That's not exactly what I look for in my sci-fi.

Lastly, I am not really a stickler for editing, and I have never, ever criticized a book for a lack of editing. This time I will make an exception. Was spell check even available at the time? There are just more than an ordinary amount of type-o's from the almost unnoticeable to the totally infuriating and everywhere in between. I don't really want to take the time as suggested and point out the errors for the author. I did my job: I bought and read the book. I think it's fair that the author hold up their end of the bargain and run a spell check, look for missing spaces causing words to crash into each other. I am not so great with grammar rules, but the errors I spotted could have all been caught with a simple spell-check. I found myself pulling up the Kindle dictionary way more often than normal to make sure that I had not forgotten how to read the english language.

So I am stuck right in the middle. I like the stories, but at the same time I am both irritated at the spelling errors and the proselytizing. I am not sure what to do about all that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Redemption, Catherine KimbrIdge Chronicles, March 29, 2013
Excellent story. Can't wait for the next one this summer. Amazon or Mr. Beery needs PREORDER site. I would preorder if it were available. It would give sense of popularity, also.
A few minor errors were found, and i would have been glad to forward them, except, again no easy way to do so.
But, did love the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, April 17, 2013
I read the entire series, practically in one sitting. It really caught fire for me. I have recommended it to my brother who also enjoys SF.

5.0 out of 5 stars Another Great Read, the Space Opera continues, June 1, 2014
I enjoyed the read and laughed a lot at some of the reviews, this book has less errors by word count then the average number of errors from the Main Stream Media. This series of books (Space Opera) is the right price, many other authors have doubled and tripled the price in the middle of a series, shame, I no longer purchase the scam authors books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Hardcore, May 26, 2014
Four stars for this book. That's high praise from me. Action. Is both good and fast. Characters are well defined.

4.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding book, May 22, 2014
The twists and turns keep your attention glued to the book. A ending I didn't expect, and adventure enough for all. Any comments on character development of a negative nature you can disregard. This series is up with doc Smith, and very close to RAH---Robert A Heinlein. Missed RAH only on social issues.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Best Star Trek out there, April 4, 2014
The good: it's a story about space exploration, with new and intriguing concepts for aliens (as opposed to "tiger-men" or humans with broccoli glued to the foreheads). There's some good science and a few good plot twists. Also, the characters are good people, and don't apologise for it. It's refreshing.

the bad: it could use some more tension. All characters (with one notable exception) are always calm and collected, they never lose their... calm.

the ugly: none, really. It might not be a edge-of-your seats reading, but it has some really good ideas and no weak parts.

It's not perfect, but it's way better than most Space operas / military Sci Fi i've seen around. Plus, bonus point for not having technology centuries ahead of our own coupled with political systems centuries behind (I'm looking at you, Honor Harrington). That, alone, gives it an extra star in my book.

5.0 out of 5 stars excellent read, March 7, 2014
Not just another Space Opera! This series will surprise you, time after time. There are places where formulaic series would let you know what was coming- and then something entirely unexpected occurs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Hungry reader, January 30, 2014
I read everything you write as I love the way your stories flow. Thanks you for writing for our enjoyment