4.0 out of 5 stars Great Fantasy - Gritty, Unique, and Swashbuckling
The Cavalier is more than just a classic good vs. evil fantasy epic, though it certainly fits that mold. The author understands that while hero's fight epic battles for fame and glory, the daily struggles of a common man to maintain a well-purposed life are no less valorous.

Published on March 18, 2012 by Jason Halvorson

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my Favorite
I am sorry to give this story a three star review. I do this not because it is not well done, but because it is a story more suitable for the very young, and definitely not a story with enough meat for adults.

Published on June 19, 2012 by Oldmannot

3.0 out of 5 stars Not my Favorite, June 19, 2012
This review is from: The Cavalier (The Cavalier Trilogy Book 1) (Kindle Edition)

It is a classic tale about a crippled boy who is pure of heart, He is taken in by a goddess who cures him and over the course of the story, his strength, skill and abilities are augmented until be becomes a goddess-selected Cavalier to fight for good against evil. Hardly original. The heroes are unbelievably strong and brave, the heroines unbelievably beautiful, evil is unbelievably evil, and magic is unbelievably magical. I believe that not one mythical creature was left out, from elves, to giants, to ogres, to orcs, to demons, to wizards ... and so on. The human foibles and weaknesses one might expect are not present. A large number of characters are introduced throughout (all supreme in one way or another) but most do not add depth to the story. The one interesting aspect was the specifics of the gods and goddesses. They coyly claim not to be gods, but their role remains murky. Perhaps the sequel will clear it up, but I am positive the hero will survive and prevail as all good heroes do.

If you want a childish fairy tale salted with sword play and gory violence, this might be for you, but I found none of the one-dimensional characters very appealing. As I said, a very young reader might find it entertaining as it is well written and moves along well, apart from my comments above.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Fantasy - Gritty, Unique, and Swashbuckling, March 18, 2012
This review is from: The Cavalier (Paperback)

Jonas is a young hero who overcomes debilitating origins through the grace of powerful forces he isn't sure he believes in, let alone understands. Through his experiences, and those of his compatriots, the author explores the shades of grey that lie between blackest evil and purest light.

The Cavalier is not all character development and philosophical exposition, though. Fast-paced and well-written - with more than a few plot twists - at its heart, this story is a rollicking good action-fantasy full of nightmarish evil, heroic characters, and tautly written action scenes that crackle with intensity.

Take a journey through the lands of Kraawn with Jonas. You won't be disappointed!

5.0 out of 5 stars "The Cavalier" Delivers!, May 20, 2012
This review is from: The Cavalier (Paperback)
Heroic fantasy at its best....McWhirter delivers!

First off, let me first say that if your looking for a book where the author takes fifty pages to describe scenery or political intrigue, then this book is not for you. But on the other hand, if you want fast paced, action packed scenes, where description and dialoge move the story along at an effortless pace without bogging you down, then this book is for you.

As the other reviews said, this is the classic good vs. evil, heroic fantasy, which I have always loved, so I may be a bit biased. I love David Gemmell, Jim Butcher, Terry Brooks, and others who do so well at creating that epic adventure story. McWhirter doesn't dissapoint. Don't get me wrong, I'm not comparing McWhriter to Terry Brooks or Gemmell....he still has a way to go before his style is as sharp and polished as those accomplished writers. But if this author stays with his craft then I think we will see some wonderful works come from him. I cannot believe that this is his first book ever written and I am so looking forward to reading many more from him in the future.

The characters were well formed and I felt like I grew along side them as the story progressed and events molded and changed them. I think the author could have spent more time on some characters but then again this is only book one of the trilogy, perhaps that will be done in book two and three.

I thought the author created some things that were pretty unique. I liked his magic system and I really liked what he did with "The Cavalier" idea. These warriors were very Paladin-like, but with some unique ideas that I had not seen before. I liked the Cognivant idea, the God Marks, etc. I thought the evil minions were so well fleshed out that there were times where I was literally scared....like the Greever, or a Banthra, was going to climb out of my closest at any moment. I've always believed that if I can visualize what the author is creating, then the author is doing a good job.

I read this book in two days. It was fun, fast, and I found I really did care about what happened to the characters, which again is a sign that the author is doing his job. If you like a good adventure story, filled with action and gripping fight scenes, where heroes from all walks of life must pit courage and skill against the most evil creatures you could imagine, then this book is for you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, March 23, 2012
What a great book! It's so easy to read yet, has a depth to it, that many fantasy novels lack. I'm always thrilled when I find a book that I can't put down and leaves me craving the next one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Things I liked about the Cavalier....., October 3, 2012
This review is from: The Cavalier (Paperback)
Not what I expected, in a good way. If you've ever been an underdog, with no hope of escape; the kindness of a stranger can change your life. I like the way the hardness of Jonas' early life taught him to persevere, even when it seemed there was no way out. Even after his body was healed, he wouldn't have gotten far in his new battles without that hard won knowledge. We think that the hard knocks of life are what causes us to fail, but that's not the case....it's the loss of hope that one person can make a difference, if they don't give up. It's learning to enjoy the new people you meet along the way. It's trusting that help can come from a higher power ( Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.) The battle scenes are gritty and realistic, the story full of twists and unexpected turns, the characters interesting. What more could you ask for???

5.0 out of 5 stars The Cavalier is Awesome, September 22, 2012
This review is from: The Cavalier (Paperback)
I gave my copy of The Cavalier to my parents to read. My mother is the avid reader, and my father is not. Surprisingly my father was the one to read the book first. For a man who rarely reads, he raved about how great this story is. He could not put the book down and looks forward to reading the next book in this series. He was totally enthralled. Kudo's you have made my Dad a reader again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent first effort, September 6, 2012
Jason's detailed description and vivid imagery make this warrior-fantasy shine. The world he creates and draws us into is filled with action, emotional ups-and-downs, and even a slight hint of sexual tension between the characters. The second leg of the trilogy will be a great ride indeed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, September 6, 2012
This was a GREAT book! Couldn't put it down! The characters were great, and the book was very well written. This is definitely on my list of top reads recently. Look forward to more from this author!

4.0 out of 5 stars Very well done!, August 6, 2012
This review is from: The Cavalier (Paperback)
This classic tale of an underdog turned hero is a very good read. The author does a great job keeping the story going without spending too much time on describing every minute detail of a scene or situation. There was no part in the book where I felt that the story slowed down and got boring. That being said, you can definately tell that this book is the authors first published book. There were a few grammatical errors that I noticed, but nothing that made the story less enjoyable. That is the only reason I didn't give the story a 5 star. The storytelling is very well done and the story is very engrossing. I can't wait for the second one to come out. Not just to continue the story, but to see how the author's writing improves. I'm looking forward to seeing how the author evolves throughout his writing. I would highly recommend reading this book if you are a fan of the fantasy genre.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful book to read!, July 27, 2012
This review is from: The Cavalier (Paperback)
Truly loved this book from start to finish. Engaging, interesting characters that I could really care about - can hardly wait to see what happens to them next.

The Cavalier (The Cavalier Trilogy Book 1)
$3.99