4.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting plus lovely pictures
Published on July 12, 2010 by Debbie

2.0 out of 5 stars Great if you have a history with caves
This book is very informative but above the comprehension level of people who have not studied caves in the past. The author is very wordy and longwinded.
Published 10 months ago by Trina Sturgeon

4.0 out of 5 stars Very interesting plus lovely pictures, July 12, 2010
Debbie (Harrison, AR United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: The Cave Book (Wonders of Creation) (Hardcover)
"The Cave Book" is an educational nonfiction book for high schools and adults. It had lovely pictures from caves all over the world plus illustrations of the things being taught in the text. The author is a scientist who studies and explores caves, so the reader gets a view of what it's like to do that (which I haven't seen in other books about caves). The author is also a Christian, and he tied in what he was discussing with the history recorded in the Bible (like how "cave men" and Neanderthals fit with the Biblical view of history).

He talked about: (chapter 1) cave art & people who lived in caves; (chapter 2) caves in mythology, animals found living in caves, and the climate in caves; (chapter 3) cave rock types and cave formations; (chapter 4) exploring caves; (chapter 5) how scientists study cave systems (which includes studying the surrounding above ground terrain and climate).

The author used some scientific terms and chemical equations, but the terms were defined in the text and in a glossary located at the back of the book. I found the book interesting and enlightening (and it made me want to go on another cave tour soon), but I would've liked a couple more illustrations. I had to concentrate to follow some of the descriptions in the text (like the cave journey in the example "day in the life of a cave scientist") and a few additional illustrations would have allowed me to more quickly and easily follow the text in these spots.

There's also a pull-out poster at the back of the book. I'd recommend this book to any Christian who's interested in caves or who's about to go on a tour of a cave.

5.0 out of 5 stars Sure to excite children and encourage them to learn, August 14, 2008
This review is from: The Cave Book (Wonders of Creation) (Hardcover)
Many children are enthralled by the existence of caves. "The Cave Book" is an educational book for young people that explores the place of caves in Christian history. Written by Creation scientist Emil Silvestru, "The Cave Book" seeks to answer how caves form, how they have been used by humanity, their place in mythology, and much more. Enhanced with a free poster book, "The Cave Book" is sure to excite children and encourage them to learn. Highly recommended for every Christian child who has looked toward caverns in wonder.

2.0 out of 5 stars Great if you have a history with caves, November 13, 2013

1.0 out of 5 stars No scientific value., July 19, 2013
Laura Madsen (Salt Lake City, UT United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Cave Book (Wonders of Creation) (Hardcover)
This book has no scientific value.

Recently I checked out The Cave Book by Emil Silvestru, thinking it would teach my children more about the geology of caves. The book is shelved in nonfiction science at my library, but when I started to read the book to my daughters I was dismayed to find that it is far from a science book. It attempts to use the poorest pseudoscience to support a conservative Christian creationist agenda.

For example:
"We do not know (there is no scriptural evidence) whether substantial caves existed before the Flood." In my world of science, the evidence is geologic, not scriptural.

And:
"The oldest tools found in caves appear to be the ones in Longgupo Cave in China, where stone artifacts were found next to "hominid" remains. These remains have been dated at 1.96 to 1.78 million years by the use of many unproven assumptions. (More will be said about the methods of radiometric dating later, but let it be said at this point that this writer does not support any age that goes beyond 6,000 to 10,000 years in the past!)" In one fell swoop, the author dismisses--despite overwhelming evidence to the contrary--human evolution, geology and radioisotope dating.

I sent a letter to my library with the following request:

Besides being a scientist, I'm also a bibliophile and writer. The idea of censorship is appalling to me. So I will not ask you to remove this book from the library, but I beg you to reshelve it with religious studies, not physical sciences.

The Cave Book (Wonders of Creation)
The Cave Book (Wonders of Creation) by Emil Silvestru (Hardcover - April 30, 2008)
$15.99 $13.15