Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Change Your Life Challenge: A 70 Day Life Makeover Program for Women
Safety Month botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums The best from Bose just got wireless Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks STEM Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

on October 29, 2005
I had a chance to look this book over, and don't understand what all the fuss is about. There is nothing new here, from cleaning to menu planning, to relationships that hasn't been said better in other books, or even free online, and this book is double-spaced type throughout, so you go through more pages than you should have to finding this out. I hate it when book publishers waste paper like this.

The most annoying part of the book is the constant (every other day's entry) exhortation to go buy the companion workbook to get all the worksheets. If she had printed it in an 8 1/2 by 11" format, AND included the worksheets as templates, it

would be worth the price new, as it is, in a smaller size, hold off and buy it used.
Brook Noel knows how to make things happen. She sets impossible goals and meets them by being very well organized.

I found her 70 day life makeover challenge for women to be more than a little daunting. Perhaps I had that reaction because I'm a mere man . . . and not very neat and tidy around home.

Unless you embrace her vision of being a super woman (and there's nothing wrong with that), I suggest that you selectively employ this book to help you get organized where improving will make a big difference in your life.

Improving your life probably means that you've got to become better at using your time . . . or you won't have time to improve your life. Ms. Noel digs right into that area with the first 12 days of her program (including your "before" snapshot, keeping track, planning and avoiding procrastination). Everyone should read and apply that part.

Each chapter includes an explanation of that day's concept, directions for improvement, questions to help you assess yourself, an assignment and references to other materials that can help you. You can download a free workbook from her publisher's site to put your answers in.

The book's next section gets your house in order (yes, even the back of those closets you haven't visited since the Middle Ages). If you aren't as obsessed with cleanliness and neatness as this paragon of an author, you can probably take a limited dip into this part of the book.

If you cannot find any papers you need when you need them, the third part will be a gift from God. The system Ms. Noel espouses reminds me of what my very capable wife does for our family. I endorse this approach. It works!

If you want to have family dinners that everyone enjoys, part four is your section. I don't know if it will work or not, but it makes sense.

Part five is another section that everyone should pay attention to: Relationships, Romance and Friendships. Our relationships usually are the first thing to go when we're overly busy and disorganized. Like anything that's important, relationships require attention and Ms. Noel has good ideas to help use organization to be better in touch.

Working Moms will cheer at part six which looks at how to be a super Mom. She even offers tips for getting the squalor out of your sons' bedrooms.

There are also sections on simplifying your life, finances, good health and taking care of yourself. All but the last seemed a little too underdeveloped for my taste.

If you just read and applied the section on taking care of yourself while taking care of everyone else, this book would be a great resource.

Check it out!
on September 7, 2005
I hate to give a well intentioned book three stars, but I have to agree with the previous reviewer, this book is just too much! Now it may be the book for you, and I did gain some useful tools, but frankly a 70 day program is a bit too much for me. You are supposed to read only one very brief 1-2 pages section, that is broken up over 70 days. You are not supposed to cut ahead. The requirements are to purchase a lot of supplies, which I frankly didn't have the money for, and just plain didn't want to follow the system that required those purchases. Most people that seek out reading books on organization want to start tackling. This book is painfully slow, and some of the suggestions didn't apply to me. If you are a Mom, that is frantic and works full time, you may find the slow pace of the read perfect. If you are one of the types that likes to do it all, this may be the book for you. But I am not a parent, I am a procrastinator, and not seeking to do less, but get more done.I just couldn't relate to juggling 12 hour work days, taking the daughter to doctors appointments, being on every club under the sun all while trying to manage a home. This just isn't me. I do enjoy Brooke Noel's website tremendously, and do highly recommend that.

If you are a procrastinator like I am and looking to get your life into order,I would highly recommend Marla Ciley's Sink Reflections. I found that more helpful.
on January 31, 2006
The Challenge has been wonderful for me. I was definitely ready for more than what other books and systems had to offer. I love how Brook's program is a life changing program. It made me take a long, hard look at my life and what needed to "streamlined". It's awesome that I'm not just getting my house in order but every aspect of my life. I find the exercises and worksheets to be very helpful in finding exactly where I need to be focusing my efforts at any given time.

Well worth your time and energy if you are serious about gaining control of your life!
on June 8, 2006
The program is simple to follow, initially. However, the whole process becomes saturated with very corporate-type lists, to-dos, phone logs, reflections, Happy Half Hours, reference lists, etc. It can be a great system with well-intentioned guidelines for those wanting very rudimentary basics of how to be a fully alive human being vs. a workoholic robot or stressed out mom of three. Fine for some people. If you're into someone else's idea of how to control YOUR life and those precious hours in it because you are stumped for ideas yourself, this book will rate 5 stars for you. Upon completing the 70th day, the suggested amount of time for CYLC tasks amounts to over 2 hours of Brook Noel's preferred way of handling things per day. This won't rate high for those who have independent, creative spirits and just want a little coaching and nudging in a more streamlined direction. Plus, this book will cost way more than the initial price with the supplies you have to buy in the beginning. You could always just buy a DayTimer and go from there, because that's pretty much the set-up the author borrows. Also, the book had a few pages missing, some typos and mistakes. A complete oversight noone had 'copyediting' as a to-do on their list?
on June 20, 2005
Self help books have been around for a long time, but sadly readers usually don't change much after reading them. But Brook Noel has provided an easy to follow guide to make some long lasting changes to bring organization and direction to your life. It will probably take longer than 70 days to work through the exercises. But one step builds on another, so it does work if you keep with it.

For those who have tried the Side Tracked Sisters and Fly Lady, but still need more, I would highly recommend this book.

The yahoo support group helps connect with others who are working through the program, who can help with questions and motivation. Brook even drops in to provide help and support.

Buy this book. Work at your own pace. If you really want to make changes in your life, this is a great way to accomplish it. This is a great bargain. Don't procrastinate any longer in changing your life into the life you know you are meant to enjoy.
The well-meaning author of the "Change Your Life Challenge" has organized a thorough and detailed method of changing virtually every area of your life in 70 days (more or less).

The problem is, her system may be a bit TOO thorough and detailed for the truly overwhelmed.

She tells readers often that, "when you are overwhelmed, you want change NOW".

Um, yes. Correct. What we DON'T want is endless worksheets, lists, and forms to fill out. (Most of which should be ordered from the author's website, she tells us.)

I wasn't expecting a "quick fix", or maybe I was. At least one quick enough to provide me with simple, do-able daily steps, perhaps even twenty-minute tasks each day.

Instead, I read about a system that would have had me spending WAY too much time "contemplating".

Changing issues like "self-esteem", "relationships", etc. are part of a "makeover", but yikes! ALL the exercises/tasks are too long, and frankly, boring.
33 comments|62 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 21, 2006
I am the Queen of trying to get organized... I have tried every system on the planet and nothing worked... until now. CYLC is the perfect blend and balance women need to get organized, stay organized and find balance in their lives. Best of all, you don't have to go into hiding for a month in order to implement CYLC... it works with your daily demands. It's not complicated and perhaps that is why it is successful. It was created by a woman, for women--although men would benefit from it too! If you're looking to be more organized, Brook will show you how.
on March 1, 2005
If you are at the point in your life where you really want a life makeover, then I would highly recommend this book.

Hats off to Brook Noel for a brilliant system. I absolutely love how this book showed me how to change so many areas of my life! So many systems I have tried focus on just one area and I end up fixing one thing, but being frustrated with another.

However, I will worn that this book isn't for those just "contemplating change." This is an action book and it requires that the reader work and really commit and put energy behind their goal to change. On days when I couldn't accomplish the "assignment" I just spread it over a few days like she advises.

If you are serious about organizing your life this is a book to add to your collection!
on January 19, 2006
When I started the Challenge, I was overstressed with every aspect of my life. Within the first few days, I knew that this was going to change my life. I am a full time working mom with lots of other activities. I was losing control, missing appointments, and forgetting important things. The Challenge has taught me simply how to get things in control. Brook offers amazing advice and explanations on why we do the things we do. It forces you to look at yourself and see why you life is cluttered. Although I have not completed the challenge yet, my life is smooth and organized. Most of the backlog is caught, and everyday is much less stressful. I have suggested this program to many of my friends. I think it is a steal for the changes I have seen in my life!