Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: The Charisma Myth: How Anyone Can Master the Art and Science of Personal Magnetism
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer CafeSociety CafeSociety CafeSociety  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on April 1, 2016
This is a must-have for anyone and everyone. As an actor who's moving into directing, I have to say that this book is essential for anyone who wants to communicate with anyone.

I started implementing the exercises Ms Fox Cabane gives, and literally within minutes I noticed people treating me differently. It has been such a strange experience! In fact, several people approached me on set just this week to remark "how cool [my] energy is" and "how present [I am]."

But even better, being aware of the things she talks about (for instance, nodding only once or twice rather than three or more times, or imagining angel wings on people) helps me be more present. I feel like I'm able to listen to people better with her techniques. Even in very demanding situations that would have once stressed me out like crazy, I feel so at ease and relaxed. And it suddenly feels like I have way more time in my day.

I'm so glad that I've come across her book. And actually, that reminds me: I've also found I'm so much more grateful since reading this book! Ms Fox Cabane talks about gratitude in a way I'd never heard before. It's made me so much more able to find things to be truly, deeply grateful for. I feel more at peace and generally happier every day now. It's just one more reason I'm so thankful that she wrote this book and that I came across it.

I would not hesitate to recommend this book to anyone. It's made me more competative at a professional level, and it's made me happier on both a professional and a personal level.
on March 16, 2013
I download the Gildan Media audio version from books24x7 and now I am buying a kindle copy for reference. I am also recommending this to co-worker.

One problem we have in the IT industry is we are too technical and often too concern with being right.
on January 3, 2015
A basket full of useful, tangible techniques to improve your ability to influence individuals, groups, or crowds of people. A fast read with summaries and to-do work sheets at the end of each chapter. You will have a notebook full of exercises to practice. All of the examples and suggestions are tied to the world of business; nevertheless, the techniques are equally applicable in other areas of your life; family, friends, community organizations, and your own contentment. I give it 3 stars because I am bothered by the author's excess use of boasting / self-promotion and her value neutral approach. You will be learning tools that could be used for good or for harm. It would be nice, in my view, to occasionally encourage readers do good for others with these methods; not just to advance their high-octane career. That said, I would recommend this book to anyone willing to put effort into improving their ability to influence others, hopefully for the benefit of others.
on November 5, 2015
This is a book worth buying. Cabana gives you dozens of techniques that will help you increase your ability to influence and persuade, or your charisma. And that is perhaps the reason why this book, though valuable, left me kind of cold. It submerges you in a seemingly endless flood of techniques. The value of the book is five stars, maybe six, but the style is somewhere south of that. More stories to flesh out her points would have been nice.
Prior to reading her book I practiced several of these techniques, so I know they work. That is why I recommend this book to all who would become more influential.
on April 24, 2016
I'm only half way thru this book as its rather heavy reading but its a great book. I suggest reading this book after Leil Lowndes 92 tips and tricks, this book goes a good job of explaining the "Hows" as well as the "Whys" . Great book for building skillset and confidence in your skills too.
on February 8, 2016
Good Book.

It helps you realize that you can become charismatic. Charisma, while its something you are somewhat born with can be trained. The mind can be trained like a muscle to become stronger. While not all of us can get to that professional athlete level of fitness, our minds work in the same way. We may not get to that Steve Jobs charisma but we can get into good shape if that makes any sense.
on December 17, 2015
This book will change your life. If you want to learn to be more charismatic and an all-round better person, read The Charisma Myth. Olivia Fox Cabane has provided simple, sensible, practical, useful, positive guidelines on how to develop charisma. I could not be more grateful to Ms Cabane, nor recommend this too highly. This is one of those rare books that you should and can easily read again and again.
Few people need more help building charisma than I; fortunately author Cabane provides it in 'The Charisma Myth.' The bad news is that the material should have been condensed and better structured to make it easier to follow.

Cabane contends that becoming more charismatic doesn't require transforming one's basic personality - rather its about adopting a series of specific practices that fit into one's existing personality. He introductory tips, however, are rather mysterious and probably ineffectual by themselves - lower your voice at the end of sentences, reduce how quickly and how often you nod, and pause for two seconds before speaking.

Continuing, she declares that presence, power, and warmth comprise the three core elements of charisma. 'Presence' involves having one's total mind involved in a conversation. In short - make the other person feel like they have your 100% attention. Clues of power come from one's appearance, others' reaction to this person, and his/her body language. Warmth tells whether or not people will want to use their power in our favor. Selling a vision, expressing gratitude, compassion, and interest in people are essential.

Evidencing physical discomfort (eg. reacting to a hot suit, glare of the sun) can undo charisma by impairing one's attention. Ideally one would prevent the discomfort. Explaining the problem and taking action are important second lines of defense, if needed.

Self-doubt undermines charisma. Cabane tells readers this is normal. Practice, practice, practice on presentations helps replace self-doubt with confidence. A good appearance (clothes) and positive handshake also help.

The 'Ben Franklin Effect' - ask an opponent for help, borrow something from them. Criticize behaviors, not the person. Simplify presentations, use analogies, make statistics personal, keep presentations short, remain calm, articulate a vision.
on September 3, 2013
I liked this book, because I feel she went through and discussed how to actually change my behaviors, internal and external, so that I can be a more charismatic version of me. There are loads of exercises, and getting through them can be daunting. However, I think this is what really makes the book shine, many other books are give good, but vague advice on what to do. Instead, this book helps you work on EXACTLY what needs to be done in order to change your behavior.

I am terrible about interrupting people. Oh god. I have way too much say and I enjoy talking too much. I know it causes me problems. Reading this book has given me ACTIONABLE things I can do to avoid those temptations. I find I dominate conversations, hear myself speak, and don't learn much from others. I've been wanting to fix this part of myself and finally got something other than just "oh, stop and listen." No. NO! That is not helpful for someone with my level of enthusiasm and intensity for enjoying conversations.

Since I got a lot out of this book, especially with the exercises, this is a 5 star book.
on March 9, 2015
I was lucky enough to be in a FedEx Kinko's one day when this book just happened to catch my eye as I was leaving. When I first saw the cover, I thought, "there's no way to put charisma in a test tube and break it down to its chemical components like this." But Olivia Fox Cabane grabbed my attention from the first chapter, with the Marilyn Monroe anecdote, and then step by step unveiled the science of charisma in a way that was, well, charismatic in and of itself. Meaning, the book has all 3 elements of charisma: Power, Presence, and Warmth. The science is powerful. The anecdotes make the material instantly accessible and therefore very present. And the writing style and point of view of the author are very warm and engaging. There's not much out there like this book. I consider it to be a definitive primer on the subject that leaves the reader with much to do and explore afterward. Bon appetit!