Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on September 22, 2014
I am not sure where to start but to say that this book is great. Olivia really is a special person. I almost think the book should have been titled "Life and how to live it". The book is so good for the human experience. I am sure people in the mental health world, both practitioners and patients can learn from this book. I am so excited about this book that I can hardly wait to finish it and start reading again. Thank you Olivia, you are a spirit from God.
on March 31, 2012
This is the rare book that can truly be a life changer. A few days ago, I came across an article online that featured a Q&A with the author discussing this book launch. I had never heard of Olivia, but was interested enough to download and read the book as soon as it was released. I am so glad I did!

When recommending a book to friends, family, colleagues, etc., like most folks I give thought to who might enjoy or benefit from it. "The Charisma Myth" is unique in that I honestly can't thnk of anyone who would not enjoy and benefit from it.

The most inspiring element of the book lies in its attainability. Charisma, like any skill, can be developed. It can be achieved and demonstrated through guidance and enlightenment from Olivia. And the results can be life changing. I have always been the quintessential extrovert, and fortunate to be regarded as charismatic since I was in high school. Still, even in the past two days, I have noticed a difference in my approach, confidence, and behavior. I feel like I have attained a magical secret or superpower. It almost seems like an unfair advantage, which is why I am so engaged in telling others about it.

"The Charisma Myth" just became required reading and shared learning for my leadership team, and I am actively recommending it to family, friends, and prety much everyone I know (and those I don't yet know, like you!).

Although my kids are only 2 and 4, I am so excited to some day share with them what it takes to become a charismatic person. And without question, it will shape their futures...

Bravo and thank you, Olivia!

Scott Crossin
on July 2, 2013
It's a myth. That's what I loved about this book, it takes away the allure of "charisma" and explains in detailed steps how you can go about achieving it. And it really isn't that hard. It reminds me of the phrase "it's all mental". You read about it, you practice it, and it becomes habit/who you are. I plan on reading this book again, front to back. I think there is alot that I missed the first read through that can be the icing on the cake the second time around.
on October 29, 2012
After decades in business, I have learned many of these lessons the hard way. Some I never learned. As I read the book I saw for the first time some of the mistakes I have made and the probable effects. And I have had many, many classes and programs through the years on leadership, "people skills," etc. I've read most of the business books from Stephen Covey to Tom Peters and Daniel Golman.

So, why is this book different and enough so to get me to write a review and a 5-star one at that? Please note that I don't write reviews and I tend not to hand out top ratings easily.

It's natural for the older generation to want to "download" life lessons to younger people. I wanted to give this to my nephew who makes most of the mistakes I did in my youth. However, he's resistant. He has not yet experienced the loss of opportunities, missed promotions, and antagonisms from key people that can affect one's career for years. So hopefully this rating will be useful to a potential reader.

The most significant aspect is conveyed in the title itself. The idea that charisma is innate and you are either born with it or not is a huge myth. But I have the appraisals from yesteryear where teachers and supervisors said I didn't have "it," whatever "it" is, whether you call it charisma or "people skills," salesmanship, or something else. What I did was to study the people around me that were successful and mimicked their behavior. The problem with that, I see now, is that most used the "authority" persona. I learned that one well but it doesn't fit a lot of circumstances and is tricky for women. Another myth from my past is the concept that showing anything but "authority" is weakness and risks loss of credibility. In many ways, pure "authority" persona hurts credibility. While I never believed that these skills couldn't be learned, nothing was available to tell you what they are and how to apply them.

This book is a step-by-step guide that distills and dissects the behaviors necessary to achieve the outward presentation that you desire. To use a baseball analogy, there are many books that talk about the game in general, various strategies, and the great players. How do you apply that to your life when you need to know how to hold the bat to get a full power contact with the ball. This book is a "self-coaching" guide. Short of a good coach correcting your stance and adjusting your grip on the bat, it will give you the tools to self-check and self-correct.

If you believe that "I am what I am and the world must take me the way I am," then this book won't be of much help. If you've lost jobs and promotions to people who seem less qualified but more "likable," this book will explain what they have that you don't. If you've made powerful enemies that are squashing your opportunities, then this book could explain why, and might give you some tools to begin to amend the situation. If you have important meetings or contacts coming up, you need to have the best chance for success and this book will help. If you think these skills don't matter, you are wrong. I wish my nephew understood that and that I had understood it 30 years ago.
on February 21, 2016
This is a pretty effective piece of management literature, and it is very wide-ranging. Charisma is redefined as 'business leadership skills' writ-large, and you're introduced to effective techniques (the book is very technique-driven) for talking, walking and thinking like a charismatic leader. I have to insist that I am disappointed that the book itself is not very inspiring. Cabane's writing is the kind of semi-inspirational TED-talk mush that makes you respect someone's composure, but it's not the kind of writing that taps into that spiritual/inspirational drive. This isn't a life changing book, it's just an effective manual. -Ryan Mease
on May 20, 2015
This book presents how to engage with other people in a broad spectrum of situations. What charisma style is needed for each situation is explained. How to maximize your charisma for the situation is explained. The explanations are easy to understand and use. Using what I learned is effective for me.
on March 8, 2015
This book is a very practical guide to better projecting your confidence to the outer world.

It is a very interesting read, keeps you fascinated. The exercises in the book were clear.

Overall a great read, I would recommend anyone who is interested in more effective communication should read this book.
on November 2, 2015
This book is short but very detailed and succinct. I recommend it to anyone wishing to improve their quality of life whether it be in business or general; a confidence booster and social trainer compiled into a small but wonderful package!
on March 28, 2013
Interesting and helpful tips for being more charismatic. Really, it's almost just a zen book on mindfulness but applied to the business world. Not totally earth-shattering, but certainly worth a read. I find myself using at least a couple of the tips every day.
on March 25, 2014
I have read literally hundreds of 'self help' books. Olivia Fox Cabane's book on Charisma ranks in my Top 10. The book is as thorough, profound, practical, and filled with high value information you can use in your life - personal and professional. I have the audiobook in my car and it's what I listen to as I commute --- each time I hear something new and valuable.

I am far more aware of how I am being with people and can make adjustments 'real time' to better connect with others.

This is a powerful book on Charisma --- I highly recommend it !