Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

on July 26, 2004
My Grandpa has this book and every time I visit his house, I read it. If I get finished with it and his other Far Side book, I read them all over again! This book is awesome!
"The Chickens Are Restless" is another great and twisted Far Side volume, now available at a bargain price. For years the best thing in the morning paper was Gary Larson's brilliant, enigmatic, and impossible to replicate strip, and I still miss it when I read the news. This is a strong collection, exploring all the weird little crevasses of Larson's mind. When I was in college I was a biology major, and the Far Side helped me find humor in even the most trivial, and frankly unenjoyable, parts of my educational process. There's plenty of science and animal behavior humor here ("Be a virus, see the world.") but there are other even more esoteric (and occasionally culturally dated) cartoons here: one of my favorites is on p. 7, and is captioned "To the horror of the lifeboat's other members, Madonna loses her balance and falls on her face." This will make complete sense to you if you had to endure Madonna's music (and more to the point, her outfits, when she was much younger.) As an airline pilot, the other panel on the same page is probably my favorite in the book, as Ted instigates a disaster from his window seat.

This is a great and inexpensive collection, and I highly recommend it to Far Side fans or to anyone who wants a great laugh at a great price.
on June 15, 1998
Many of Gary Larsen's most outrageous Far-Side characters make their cameo appearances here. Strange, irreverent, bizarre, Larsen's humor rarely fails to make me laugh or chuckle. Only occasionally does it leave me mystified.
My favorites from among this collection of Larsen's cartoons are what I call the Roadkill Tour, the Chicken at the Bottom of the Pecking Order, Monday Night in the Woods, Dodge City, Honah-Lee, Early Plumbers, Side of Ham, and the Music Teacher. But, hey, with Gary Larsen it's hard to know where to draw the line between the hysterical and the merely funny.
on March 10, 2007
Larson released this collection in 1993 and it has more than stood the comedy test of time. The Chickens are Restless is about 2/3rds the height of an A4 bit of paper, all Far Sides are in black and white and are either full page or two to a page. Classic Far Sides inside include the classics Ernie getting a wrong number call from God then for the rest of his life telling his friends he had talked with God, Popeye on the Dating Scene, Death seeing his girlfriend in the movie theatre with Dr Jack Kevorkian, dumb painter in hell holding the work order upside down, Edna being forced to sell her brussel sprouts house, Hookhand telling the tale of "The Two Evil Teenagers", testimony against Mr Pumpkineater being given by his sister Jeannie Jeannie Eatszucchini and the cow sitting on the electric fence saying to the others, "Look if it was electric could I do this" as the angry farmer is about to flick the switch.

Every Far Side Collection is a must own but if you are strapped for cash the better value for money option is usually the larger Far Side Galleries which are a collection of three of these smaller books.
on March 9, 2014
Bought this for the 4 Grandkids and they laughed so hard that I just had to buy another copy for myself. And I love making my Grandchildren happy. Many of these are absolutely hysterical so if you want a good laugh, I recommend getting this volume, for yourself, and anyone else.

Just the cover alone with the title makes me chuckle a little more, each time, before opening the book again. I have also ordered a few more volumes of other titles and will probably end up collecting all of them. I don't think that you can go wrong with these books. The prices are great and the laughter you will get from these is something we all need these days. Good luck and enjoy. Richard
"The Chickens are Restless" is one of several great collections of Far Side Cartoons and is a worthy addition to the bookshelf of every Gary Larson fan. Many of these cartoons enshrine Larson's weird, off-beat, but also pointed humor at its best. For instance, one of the cartoons on p. 87 shows a bunch of strange-looking creatures, each with a single eye protruding from a blob-like body, watching another such creature with a whip in its hand and a human being facing a marker board, with the caption, "Abducted by an alien circus company, Professor Doyle is forced to write calculus equations in center ring." Not only is this funny because of the obvious role reversal, but it makes one think seriously about the practice of forcing animals to perform the same "tricks" over and over. Then there's the reductio ad absurdum of all bus tours, found on p. 18, where a bus is heading down a highway in the middle of the desert, with the words "Roadkill Tours" on its side, and the driver is intoning, "As you can see, most of these things are jackrabbits, but keep your eyes peeled for armadillo as well . . . We're about five miles now from the dead steer." This consistently strange but funny humor goes on for some 90 pages and approximately 180 cartoons.

Many of the cartoons in "The Chickens are Restless" are also anthologized in "The Far Side Gallery 5." If you already have that collection, you might want to pass on this one. This is the only reason I can think of for not purchasing this volume.
on May 3, 2016
I am almost certain that this came at the time when more chickens began to be choked. It may be that the concept was vague and produced mass hysteria. Gradually mental health administrations began to approve of choked chickens, yet not vested interested groups preferring un-choked ones. It is not wise to say what the reasons were, yet this was a definite turning point in civilization.
VINE VOICEon January 1, 2002
Mutinous canines, alien-spotting rednecks, dung beetles, and all the assorted occupants of the spaced-out mind of Gary Larson are here in this fun-filled compilation.
Larson is one "acquired taste" that I am glad to have developed.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon December 25, 2009
I just had a series of good laughs and am glad I found this Gary Larsen classic waiting for me under the tree this morning. The collection covers a number of familiar Larsen themes. Chickens, of course. And cows, road kill, the Old West, cave men, aliens and hell. The man has range.

Captions from some of my favorites are listed below. You are left to imagine the Larsonian twist in each cartoon.

- Slow Cheetahs Anonymous
- The Living Hell of Maurice, Jacques Cousteau's cat
- Scene from Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Ed
- The ever-popular Donner Party snow dome
- Moses parting his hair
- Octopus obedience school
- Failed marketing ploys

The classics never age and this book is as funny today as it was in 1993. It is recommended for a run of good laughs and to pass around at the office.
on December 10, 2014
If purchasing for a chicken lover....there are only 6 chicken related cartoons. I had originally thought that due to the title of the book there would be more chicken related cartoons considering its such a short book however it is a compilation of several different types of his cartoons. There was no kindle sample to download before hand and only the picture of the cover so I took a chance. I am not disappointed as this is a gift for a chicken lover who is also an artist and an eclectic person so if anything it may spark some creativity. It only has 95 pages consisting of 1 sometimes 2 cartoons to a page. If you're far side fan you'll appreciate this book regardless. If you are not really a far side fan but appreciate a little twisted humor then you will also appreciate this book as well. For the price, it's worth a read.