5.0 out of 5 stars Truly a great tool..., August 18, 2009
This review is from: The Childhood Roots of Adult Happiness: Five Steps to Help Kids Create and Sustain Lifelong Joy (Paperback)
This is a very easy read and GREAT book for explaining and lining out the roots to helping your children be happy within themselves and tips on how to help navigate them through life. This book is extremely helpful in explaining the reason for many of the beahaviors we see in our children but don't understand. The tools in this guide help identify particular traits and behaviors and how to steer these behaviors to a better chance for lifelong tools for creating happy kids! ...and adults! I very good book to add to your parenting library!

5.0 out of 5 stars Outstanding, Hallowell does it again!, October 3, 2002
Indeed, one's happiness is best not left to chance! Dr. Hallowell, in his pioneering work with children teaches all of us as parents, educators, and professionals working with children that happiness is about feeling loved, connected, and secure in the world. Through his personal experiences and professional interactions as a child psychiatrist, Dr. Hallowell thoughtfully reminds us of the significance of playfulness, optimism, and joy in our daily lives. This enlightening book is both thought provoking and brilliant and should be read by anyone wishing to enhance happiness in the lives of children!

5.0 out of 5 stars My favorite book for new parents, August 11, 2013
Janice (Park City UT from Boston MA) - See all my reviews
I buy this book for all new parents. It is the best book on parenting I have ever read. And I have read most!

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish this book was mandatory for all parents, teachers and coaches!, March 19, 2013
treehugr (Coconut Creek, Florida) - See all my reviews
I HIGHLY RECOMMEND THIS BOOK TO ALL PARENTS, TEACHERS AND COACHES. It's full of some incredible information that will help kids become happy adults. It really opens your eyes to some things that we "think" are in the best interest of our kids when, in fact, they are the complete opposite. I used a highlighter in the book and intend on making a cheat sheet so I keep these things top-of-mind. Really great stuff - I wish my mother had read it when I was a kid!

5.0 out of 5 stars Happy Child Happy Adult, June 8, 2010
This book should be read by every person thinking about having children, every person who has children and every person who has grown children, anyone who has grandchildren and anyone who deals with children, especially school teachers, administrators and coaches. It is a book that would have helped me so much as a single mom had I read it when my kids were small. It explains how to raise a happy child and if you are going to start reading it, finish it. Highlight the best parts and the parts that you want to especially remember and you will find that you have highlighted a great portion of the book. I have a huge amount of highlighting in mine with notes written in the margins and the pages are all worn due to use. It has helped me even now with my teenagers but would have helped me not to make a few serious mistakes in raising my kids had I known about this book when they were younger. I even bought copies for my 2 teenage children for when they have kids. Yes, it is that good and that important. If you love your child and want to raise him/her to be happy, not rich, not materialistic, not mean or angry, but happy and well adjusted for life, read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Play can't be overrated, August 19, 2008
What a helpful book for keeping the big picture in mind when raising children. Hallowell's 5 Step cycle is practical and shows the cummulative effect of children's learning process. I especially like step 4, mastery. Hallowell says, "The roots of self-esteem lie not in praise but in mastery." I couldn't agree more. Building confidence in children comes through learning how to do something well and feeling a sense of accomplishment. Praise is thin and doesn't go very far. He also stresses the importance of connection at home. Nothing more important than that!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant and inspiring!, September 27, 2014
I read this book years ago when my children were much younger and have just now re-read it. It is brilliant and inspiring. It is great for parents and also great for adults. The writing is poetic in places and in addition to being an important reference for parents, I believe it is an important reference for how we treat each other as adults. While it is well-researched and substantive, I also find it an easy read. Super valuable!

Dr. Tracy Brower, author of Bring Work to Life by Bringing Life to Work: A Guide for Leaders and Organizations

5.0 out of 5 stars Bravo! His Best Yet, October 2, 2002
Bill Grace (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
Ned Hallowell has done it again. "Roots" is his best book yet. It is clear, readable and essential to any caring parent. This one brings together many of his earlier themes and lays out five important and practical steps that will help your child become a happier and more secure adult some day. Reading this book is the greatest gift a parent could give a child this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars let kids be kids, May 3, 2009
Kudos to the idea of letting children be children. This text affirms the idea of spontaneous creativity as the reservoir from which we can all rejuvenate the childhood roots that allow us to appreciate the world as if seeing it for the first time. Hallowell points out the importance of sustaining effort rather than achievement in itself, which resonates well with the thoughts of deeper existential philosophers like Kierkegaard.

5.0 out of 5 stars AN EXCELLENT TOOL FOR RAISING WELL-ADJUSTED CHILDREN!, August 30, 2014
A LOT OF THIS BOOK IS COMMON SENSE TO ME... BUT, I HAVE ALWAYS LOVED CHILDREN, AND HAVE ALWAYS BEEN INVOLVED W/ THEM. I WAS ABLE TO RECOGNIZE SOME THINGS I FAILED TO DO AS A PARENT... AND, AM DELIGHTED TO SAY THAT; MY SON, AND DAUGHTER-IN-LAW ARE PARENTING IN A HEALTHIER WAY... AND, I FEEL VERY BLESSED TO BE THE LOVING, SUPPORTIVE, GRANDMA! A GREAT RESOURCE FOR ANYONE INVOLVED W/ CHILDREN... BUT, ESPECIALLY GOOD FOR THE CLUELESS PARENT.

$15.00 $11.05