The Children's Bible
Format: HardcoverChange
Price:$11.55 + Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on January 8, 2005
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
I received this bible from my mother when I was 8 years old and I loved it. I passed it down to my son. He loved it. We're african american and we were not offended by the racial inaccuracies before we were learning the Word of God. God created all races and loves all races. The pictures are a reference to help children to visualize and get a better understanding of the bible. I am 36 years old now and still love it. This book helped broaden my son's and my biblical knowledge. I've purchased one for my godson, because of all the children's bibles available I still think that this one is the best. The print is an excellent size, so that you don't have to strain your eyes to read it. Best of all, the author doesn't change the wording much so that it reads closely like my KJV bible - not like a story made up from someone's vivid imagination.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 9, 2007
Format: Hardcover
Wow. This Bible made a huge impact on me as a little kid. I still remember the pictures and stories from my childhood. I just came across this book again yesterday at a second hand store. I had not seen it for many years (I am in my early thirties now).

I am from a non-Bible-believing, exceptionally broken home, and I wound up in various foster homes over a number of years. In addition, I am half white and half black living in northern Minnesota. ( I throw this in due to the previous racial commentary).

Because of my exposure to this children's Bible in kindergarten, I begged my mom, and later my various foster parents, to allow me to go to Sunday School. I became a Christian at age 12. By God's grace, I avoided drugs, alcohol, cigarettes, and premarital sex. Later, I went on to Bible college with scholarships.

Tears came to my eyes when I saw this book yesterday, and I just had to buy it. I was looking on amazon to purchase even more copies. I had no idea it was still in print. This particular Bible made all the difference in my life!
88 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on June 7, 1999
Format: Hardcover
This is the only Children's Bible I have seen that uses a style of language worthy to be associated with Holy Scripture. Combine this with outstanding artwork that truly captures the imagination of children and you have an excellent medium to help children grow in their appreciation for God's Church. It will also help Children to become accustomed to the language of great literature at an early age. The reading level is suitable for ages 7 or 8+, but younger children will certainly enjoy having these stories read to them, although the themes in some of these stories are clearly oriented to children of greater maturity. Simply use your discretion when deciding which of the many stories to read to your young children.
on October 19, 1998
Format: Hardcover
This children's bible overviews the Holy Bible with dignity and respect so often absent in "cartoonized" children's bibles.
There are many quotes, but at the same time, it's written so that not only children, but also adults, will enjoy reading it. Anyone who is unfamiliar with the bible would do well to read this to familiarize themselves with bible stories.
It helps the reader to put stories in chronological order. For instance,the story of David begins with his anointing and ends with his death.
While one may view the drawings as 'old fashioned', I chose this book originally because of the pictures. They show the people as more 'real people' instead of the familiar cartoon and, otherwise, unreal characters.
My children and grandchildren have all enjoyed this bible. And friends and relatives have looked forward to my baby shower gift knowing that they would recieve this particular children's bible.
on October 17, 2008
Format: HardcoverVerified Purchase
I had this bible when I was a child and I LOVED it. I am elated to find that it is still in print and available for purchase! With that said, I am a Black American. I always found the artwork that accompanied the scriptures in this bible to be beautiful and I STILL do! Granted, by today's standards the illustrations are not cullturally diverse, but then neither are paintings from the Renaissance period. Does that mean that Michaelangelo's paintings are less beautiful because they don't depict diversity? Think about it.

The message of the scripture is what truly counts. God made us all and loves us all, no matter our ethnicity. No one living today can say that the illustrations are acurate in their telling of the scripture. If this bible has 1 slight, that would be it. Regardless, it's still God's word no matter how the characters are painted.
on January 15, 2004
Format: Hardcover
A few people have blasted this book for being inaccurate and racist. Granted, it IS visually biased for Northern Europeans. It was first written in the 1960s when multi-culturalism didn't exist. That's why Jesus and other important characters are blonde when of course in reality they couldn't have been. Children of color will have a harder time appreciating this Bible, but the stories really are excellent if they give them a try. If you can explain to your child why the pictures aren't quite right, the rest of this Children's Bible is a wonderful way to introduce the entire Bible to younger readers.
My grandmother explained to me that God appears as we expect Him to appear, and that's why some drawings of Jesus show Him blonde and others show Him dark. That explanation was enough to satisfy me and I loved this Bible when I was a child.
This Bible is so complete that I was able to blow my Pastor's own children away when it came to knowing what was in the Bible. The text is easy to understand for most 7 y/o or older kids and almost every important Bible story is in here.
Don't throw out the baby with the bathwater. The stories in this book are good enough to that you should try to overlook its one major flaw.
on June 24, 2005
Format: Hardcover
I can't believe we've become so PC that we've taken something as simple and endearing as a Children's Bible out of context. This book's critics are missing the point. Children are color-blind, and God sees our hearts - perhaps we can learn something from them both. It's the message that's important, and this version carries it well.

My parents read this Bible to me when I was a child - I'm 38 now. It left a lasting impression on me, and I still remember some of the lesser-known Bible stories thanks to this book. The fact that it has been in publication for over 30 years should give you an idea as to how well written and accurate it is. So times have changed - these Bible stories have not.

If the color of one's skin is more important than the lesson being taught, than by all means do not buy this Children's Bible. If you want well-written stories that your children will understand and keep with them for the rest of their lives, you won't find a better book.

If you think my views naive, please consider Paul's words:

"You are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus, for all of you who were baptized into Christ have clothed yourselves with Christ. There is neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female, for you are all one in Christ Jesus. If you belong to Christ, then you are Abraham's seed, and heirs according to the promise." - Galatians 3:26-29
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on January 18, 2000
Format: Hardcover
Of all the books I read as a child, few stand out in my mind as much as this wonderful edition of the Bible. The illustrations are realistic and fascinating to young minds. This Bible is a must have for families with young children who are just beginning to learn about Christianity. All in all, this book is worthy of family treasure status, to be loved by many generations to come.
on November 26, 1999
Format: Hardcover
I had this book as a child and enjoyed the pictures and stories. It helped me as a child understand the Bible. I have searched for this book for years for my son and finally found it. If he enjoys it half as much as I did, it will be a great investment.
Format: Hardcover
First, let me say that it is a great book for kids, especially if they are visual learners like I was and am. They can infer much of the story without even knowing how to read.

Second, the language IS rather similar to the King James, if slightly simplified. I wouldn't quite call it "modern" English. It still has some archaic phraseology: "He was a goodly child" or "And lo, the star which they saw..." So it isn't quite how I'd write it, but it's still reasonably clear and simple.

Third, I'm confused. Did anyone read any part besides the New Testament? I'm flipping through at random and found "colored" people in many places. (pp. 74, 99, 354, etc.) This is pretty generous for the book's vintage. The artist who rendered the life of Christ did choose to portray him with blonde hair and blue eyes, which are a little Scandinavian-hero-looking for my taste, yes. But on the other hand, I am personally acquainted with Jews who have blonde hair and blue eyes. They do exist. My best friend's husband is a full-blooded Iraqi (Babylonian, in Bible times) whose coloring is not too far off from our seemingly odd Christ. So don't knock it.

I can't think of any reason at all to pick a fight over a book that contains the original "love your neighbor as yourself" and tells us not to discriminate. I really don't think kids notice what color people are unless we point it out to them, any more than they might realize that one tulip is yellow and another is red. It's just skin. We're the same on the inside.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...