on April 28, 2013
As an avid follower of the plant based way of eating and a believer in Colin Campbell's findings,I eagerly awaited the arrival of this cookbook..Imagine my surprise when it turned out to be the" Whole Plants Cookbook",by the same Leanne Campbell Disla-just with a different title, and photos added.Even the introduction is the same Had I known this ,I would not have ordered it,since I already have"Whole Plants Cookbook
1010 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on September 28, 2013
I'm reviewing this from the standpoint of being vegan for only 4 months. My twin sister got cancer at age 39 and tested positive for lynch syndrome which means she genetically has a higher risk of certain cancers than the general population. My children and I run the same risk and all the cancer diet research leads me to a low-fat vegan diet. I'm also reviewing this from the perspective of a mom who cooks for a husband, a mother-in-law, and 7 kids (ages 18-6 months) everyday. I've spent hours and hours pouring over recipes for my new menu. If I was going to change everything I fed my family, my new Vegan recipes had to trump my old traditional American family favorites. They have!!! However we also teach our kids that every meal does NOT have to be a symphony in their mouth.
I really love that there are no added oils in these recipes. From cooking them I've learned I can successfully omit all the oils from other recipes or make substitutions without losing anything but unwanted fat. I learned from this cookbook that ground flax seeds and water make an excellent egg substitute. I even used it to coat and batter tofu fishsticks from a recipe in The Vegan Lunchbox. I love that these recipes use minimal amounts of sweeteners but they're still delicious. I personally think every recipe in the book is top notch and I would eat them, as I've made a lot of them. However I will only cook foods that win in our family by a majority vote. Here are the recipes that are kid tested and family approved. Pecan Ball Subs (pg 150) is the top pick. Other winners are: Favorite French Toast (add 1/2 cup whole grain flour to the batter to make a fancy battered French toast), Fruit Crepes (or creeps as my kids call them), pumpkin pancakes, Panana Cakes (big hit), scrambled Tofu, Fiesta Cornbread, No-bake Peanut Butter Bars (my 6 yr old cried when they were all gone and begged everyday for more). Now these other recipes are not a big hit with the kids, but I make them because the adults like them so well: Garlic Greenbeans and Mushrooms (fancy and delicious), Thai Wraps (I could eat them everyday) Pumpkin Gnocchi with Italian Vegetable Sauce (my husband said it's the bomb). This recipe book has been the standard by which I judge, choose, or modify other recipes. Other helpful books I recommend: Eat To Live, The Starch Solution, Disease-proof Your Child, Engine 2 Diet, My Beef With Meat, Fart Free Vegan, The China Study, any book by Dr Neal Barnard ( I loved Breaking The Food Seduction and The 21 Day Kickstart Program).
Without trying to lose weight per se, I've lost 15 lbs, my husband 13 lbs, 18 yr old son 10 lbs, 17 yr old daughter 5 lbs, Mother-in-law 12 lbs.
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
Leanne Campbell, daughter of 'The China Study' author, delivers an intriguing cookbook, based on the the findings and conclusions of 'The China Study.' There is a huge selection of plant-based recipes that are offered, without added fat, and minimal sugar and salt. The results of research in 'The China study' concluded that a plant-based diet results in better health as it can aid in reducing obesity, and reversing diseases such as diabetes, and heart disease. The findings also conclude that this diet can halt diseases such as cancer. The recipes provided are easy-to-prepare, tasty, and highlight the importance of avoiding additional fat. The recipes include breakfast, lunch, dinner, desserts and more. These quick and easy meals and snacks include helpful tips on substitutions, based on the author's principals and advice for better nutrition, and less weight gain. These favorite recipes from the plant-based movement are specifically prepared as no-oil dishes as another aid in improving health. My daughter's first choice as a peanut butter lover is the no-bake Peanut Butter Bars, and mine is the Home-Fry Hash as breakfast is my favorite meal. Since we both love sweet potatoes, the Sweet Potato Enchiladas is next on the agenda as we keep track of our weight, along with exercise. Each week, we will experiment with a new recipe, and I will give our opinion of the outcome. There is something for everyone in this huge selection of recipes. In addition, I have many friends who are diabetics, interested in sharing these recipes. An update of recipes we made this week: GREEK SALAD WITH NUTS (I used walnuts instead of pine-nuts, very tasty. The PUMPKIN PANCAKES were delicious, and the BLUEBERRY COFFEE CAKE was a big hit. Next on the agenda will be BANANA CRUMB MUFFINS and FAVORITE FRENCH TOAST. We are truly enjoying the Breakfast selection, but there is also much more to satisfy hungry cravings. A recent Update: I made the FETTUCCINI WITH BROCCOLI AND CASHEW SAUCE. A very tasty dish, and cooking time is only 20 minutes. I will be making this again! Also, we made the mouth-watering COCONUT OATMEAL COOKIES, delicious & baking time is only 15 minutes as well as preparation time. This recipe makes 16 cookies, so we stored for several dessert occasions. A better road to good health, and a great gift for family, and friends. Highly recommended!

**Special Note- I have an ARC of this book & also purchased this book for my daughter.

~~A Review is only the opinion of a Reviewer, but I hope you enjoy as much as we did!
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on May 7, 2013
I have a cabinet full of low-fat, plant-based, whole foods cookbooks and I know this one will be the most used of all of them.

I cannot state emphatically enough how amazing it is that this book brings to the reader traditional comfort food in an EASY and healthy package. You will find many of your old favorites reborn into healthy dishes. I am amazed at how Ms. Campbell was able to accomplish this with such simplicity of both ingredients and preparation.

This book is beautifully presented. It is professionally designed and laid out with professional color photographs for nearly every dish. I'm not sure what it is that makes it easier to select a recipe if there's a great picture, but the author and publisher were smart enough to realize this and I appreciate that. Everything looks delicious, and the recipes are all so simple and reasonable to make, but at the same time come out so good. Healthy has never been so easy or so tasty.

The book begins with a short introduction that manages to stuff a lot of good information into a small space without rehashing everything else done by all of the other cookbooks for this audience. It gives sound advice for those transitioning to a plant-based diet.

The book is then divided into Breads & Muffins, Breakfast Dishes, Appetizers & Salads, Soups, Sandwiches, Entrees,Side Dishes, and Desserts. Appendices include metric conversions and an index.

New family favorites from this book include Fiesta Corn Bread, Apple Turnovers, Lemon Tahini Quinoa Salad, Sesame Noodle Salad, Tomato Tortilla Soup, Thai Wraps, Asparagus Crepes, Seasoned Mushroom Soup, Macaroni Squash, Moroccan Eggplant. The Coconut Mango Pudding is to die for!

No added oil in the recipes. A very small number of recipes include a very light handed use of nuts/seeds. This book does have a number of recipes with wheat ingredients, so if you are gluten free and not an old hand at substituting ingredients you may have to pass on some of the better recipes.

The author uses sucanat as a sweetener, but you can obviously substitute another sweetener of your choice. There is an occasional use of tofu or non-dairy milk. Recipes use reasonable convenience foods, like whole wheat tortillas or canned tomatoes. If you are a purist, you can use fresh ingredients instead.
on May 18, 2013
They say if there were six great recipes in a cookbook, the cookbook was well worth buying. Well, in LeAnne Campbell Disla's Whole Plant's Cookbook the single Nature's Granola recipe is worth the price of the whole book and much more! I am 71 years old and have been a avid cook by whole life. Thank you LeAnne! And while you are about it, check out her dad's The China Study. I read it 6 or 7 years ago and it changed my life. I am healthier now than I was in my 30's and feel just terrific! If and when you check out these 2 wonderful books, use them, let them change your life, and then write your own Amazon review. And while you are about it, let everyone you care about become aware of what you know!
on May 17, 2013
As a fan of T. Colin Campbell, I was anxious to see what his daughter's book contained. Here are a few pros and cons about it.

Pros:
If you are a young parent who wants to introduce children to plant-based diet, this is a good primer. It's simple and doesn't take a lot of time to read. Busy parents often don't have time to sit and read a dense instructional cookbook.
There are a lot of pasta, rice and grain recipes for families that are used to American-style stews and casseroles.
The book has prep and cooking times.

Cons:
I found the photos terribly unappetizing. They are so close up they make many recipes look mushy and unappealing. It's hard to tell what you are looking at in some of them. I haven't been tempted by any of them and I feel they distract from the book. Perhaps because the book is light on recipes they were trying to fill pages, but they should have showed the food from a farther distance.
I kept wondering what the author's Ph.D. is in. There is no information on whether she has a degree in nutrition or whether she is self-taught and her book is based on her own recipes, which it seems to be. However, her father wrote the introduction, and I would trust he approves of the nutritional value of the recipes.
All in all, I wouldn't say this is my favorite of all the newer vegan/vegetarian cookbooks out there, but it has a place in the efforts of doctors such as T. Colin Campbell to introduce plant-based diets to those interested in their health and well-being.
As a seasoned vegetarian and convert to veganism, I much prefer another recent purchase of mine -- "Wild About Greens", by Nava Atlas. Atlas has been a favorite of ours for about 30 years, since her 1984 "Vegetariana" which helped us transition to vegetarianism in the early days of vegetarian cookbooks. Her newest book promotes greens, with a section highlighting each green and recipes for it.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
In the foreword to the cookbook, T. Colin Campbell, author of The China Study (and the father of cookbook author LeAnne Campbell), acknowledges that for adults used to the typical American diet, switching to a plant-based, no-added-fat diet can be challenging. For those who have chosen to make the lifestyle change, however, The China Study Cookbook is an invaluable guide to preparing tasty, nutritious meals that fully meet the requirements of the diet espoused by the Campbells.

Before introducing the recipes, the book has some tips on food preparation, a Q&A topic about raising children on a plant-based diet, and describes the seven categories of plants (plus mushrooms) that will be used in the recipes.

The recipes include a wide variety of dishes, including breads and muffins, breakfast dishes, appetizers and salads, soups, sandwiches, entrées, side dishes, and desserts. In general, ingredients include whole grain flours, non-dairy milk, no refined sugar, egg replacers, no added fats, unprocessed complex carbohydrates, and plant foods that are as close to their original state as possible. The primary sweetener that's used is Sucanat - a product that's essentially pure dried sugar cane juice. Non-dairy milk includes rice, soy, or almond milk. Egg replacers are made from ground flaxseed meal mixed with water. Vegetables are typically cooked by baking, steaming, or sautéing in vegetable broth. Recipes are designed to minimize the amounts of fat, sugar, and salt. All recipes are accompanied by full-page color photographs. At first, I thought that the lack of nutritional information (calories, fiber, fat, carbohydrates, protein, etc.) was an unfortunate omission, but the author explained that nutrient contents in different samples of the same food are highly variable and that it's more important for the consumer to focus on the overall wholesomeness of a dish than the nutrient numbers.

It's an impressive cookbook. The recipes look surprisingly tasty, considering the radical differences from traditional cooking. The lack of meat is perhaps the biggest difference, but the recipes use high-protein meat substitutes such as tofu. The author encourages personal experimentation to get the taste you prefer. This morning, my wife and I tried one of the recipes, "Breakfast Home-Fry Hash," adjusting the recipe slightly, based on the ingredients we had on hand and our own tastes, and it was delicious. We're looking forward to trying more recipes from the book. At our age, I don't know if we're up to the challenge of going completely over to a plant-based diet, but if we were younger or had young children, we would be seriously considering it.

A review copy of the book was provided by the publisher.
on May 13, 2013
Oh my gosh- this is a fantastic, beautiful book! I just received my copy today and have gone through 90% of the recipes, ordering two more books for gifts. Also, for dinner I made the Pumpkin Muffins and a soup recipe- both delicious. Although I have more than my fair share of plant-based recipe books, I am enamored by the gorgeous pictures of every recipe in this book. Each recipe uses normal items, the tips at the bottom of each recipe are very helpful, and I think that I can make great food in a very short time with this book. I am certain this book will become a cherished leader among all plant-based cookbooks. An immediate favorite!
on April 25, 2013
This thing is gorgeous. LeAnne Campbell (Author) and Steven Campbell Disla (Photographer) have put together a great looking book. It's printed with edge to edge photos on high quality paper - this book will hold up in the kitchen and for the number of times you're going to lend it out.

What I really like about it is that the photography is high quality and beautiful but the recipes remain simple. I've noticed that as the book gets higher quality, the healthy nature of the recipes seems to decline. This book breaks that mold and looks great. Simple food is beautiful and if we are going to improve the way we eat we don't want to run away from that. I believe the author and photographer must have made every effort to get that message across. At least it came across to me. The recipes are as healthy to eat as the photos are beautiful to look at.

I work as a software designer so I work with a lot of cutting edge web developers that focus on clean layout and page designs that are simple, efficient, and fun. When I look at the text portion of this book, the portion that describes the recipes, I see that same attention to clarity and minimalism that is so popular on the web today. The ingredient lists are clear and well formatted. So the book is not only beautiful, it feels "young."

Tonight I made the "Coconut Curry Rice" from page 173 and the only addition I made was to add basil. It was fabulous. Was it as rich and decadent as a local Thai restaurant, filled with free oils and added sauces? No, and that's the point. This book is filled of the types of foods we need to be eating everyday, not the types the market is trying to sell us (though through the work of the Campbell's this is getting better). I should also add that the recipe only took me about 15 minutes to make (I had leftover brown rice ready to go).

I've got my eye on the black-eyed-pea salad next. Yum.
on May 5, 2013
This is my first book review on Amazon. I am eating plant strong these days thanks to the education I have received online and from books written by T. Colin Campbell who wrote "The China Study", Dr Esselstyn who wrote "Reverse Heart Disease" and his son Rip Esselstyn who wrote "The Engine 2 Diet" book. I have lots of great cookbooks and really did not need to purchase another one. However, I decided to purchase The China Study Cookbook out of respect for T. Colin Campbell. His daughter wrote this cookbook. If you like a cookbook with lots of pictures this one is for you. I love all the pictures and the recipes I have tried are EXCELLENT!!!! Try the Raisin Walnut Bread on page 49. I did not cook it 45 min...I think my oven runs hot..I only did about 35 minutes. The bread was moist and delicious.It was also very easy to make! The no bake peanut butter bars on page 265 remind me of Reeses peanut butter cups!! Super delish!!! I highly recommend this book. The recipes are easy and do not require strange ingredients that require a trip to a speciality store. There are many recipes I have tagged and want to try!! Excellent book! Eat Plant Strong!!!!