Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc PME Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1 AllOrNothingS1  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro STEM

on August 3, 2010
I have been searching for an unbiased, well-written news source for my Kindle since purchasing the device in December. I tried the New York Times (nice, but enormously overpriced!), WJS, Boston Globe, Financial Times, Economist, USA Today, etc. but the combination of worthwhile information and monthly cost just didn't work for me. Then came the Christian Science Monitor. Intelligent, diverse, in-depth articles and columns covering world and US news along with a nice commentary section each day. No fluff/tabloid nonsense - I can get People Magazine type articles, travel columns, and sports scores elsewhere if needed. The CSM on the Kindle covers the relevant news of the day, business & money, culture issues, art, environment, books, and more in a concise easy to read format....at a fair price point. Thumbs up!
44 comments|79 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 24, 2010
I subscribed to the daily print edition of the Christian Science Monitor for several years, until they stopped printing it on 3/30/09. Over its 100-year history, the CSM has been widely regarded as one of the most objective newspapers in English. I don't need a newspaper to tell me what to think, I just want to know what happened, and why. The CSM has their own journalists writing their own stories, without simply reprinting wire service feeds. And the paper often gives backgrounders to major stories, so you can understand why events are unfolding as they are. Because it has a relatively small staff, some stories just don't get covered, so you have to rely on other sources such as radio or your local paper or, failing that, TV.

The print edition took at least a week to get to me (in Canada), and cost $300 a year for five issues a week. The Kindle edition is seven days a week, delivered to me first thing in the morning, every morning, for $10 a month. My Kindle pays for itself in a year. How can you beat that?

I'd say the Tuesday through Saturday editions have at least a third more content than the print edition did, although the Sunday and Monday editions are very slim, with less than a half-dozen stories.

On the Kindle, it's easy to navigate through the paper, or any newspaper for that matter, so you can easily find stories of interest, keep back issues, and even clip articles you want to save. I still buy single copies of the New York Times, the Globe & Mail, and some other papers, to get more news whenever I have more time to read, but the CSM and my other reading generally keeps me busy.

But it is disturbing to see many stories on the CSM website that didn't make it into the Kindle edition. Some of those stories are wire service stories, but a lot of them are stories written by CSM staff, correspondents, and guest bloggers. Those stories should be on the Kindle but they're not; I'd like to know why that's the case. So I give the Kindle edition of the CSM 4 stars, instead of 5.
on March 25, 2011
Edited: Aug. 20, 2011. I have been enjoying the CSM on my Kindle for some time but have lately found it very disappointing. For the past several days, I received only two or three articles each day, and these were weekdays not the weekend. Those articles were interesting, but I canceled my subscription. Why pay for news I am not receiving?! My below review pertains to my past experience with the paper, not to my current experience. I have changed the title of my review to reflect my present feelings and changed my rating from the four stars I originally gave it to the two stars (really one-and-a-half stars!) I would give it today because of its failure to send enough articles to justify the price. Here is my original review:

For those wanting to read The Christian Science Monitor on their easy-on-the-eyes Kindle, this subscription has its pros and cons, but the pros outweigh the cons for me.

It is true that the Monitor's own website, which I frequently scan, has a lot of content which does not download as part of the subscription and that the number of articles which does download varies. Because the CSM does not publish much on the weekend, few articles download on Sunday and Monday. On the other hand, about 30 articles download Tuesday through Saturday.

The daily World and USA sections form the heart of the subscription. The numerous articles in each, some of which display a photo, provide excellent news analysis because they present more than one point of view about the situation being discussed, a great strength of the CSM, which is known for its balanced reporting. The Monitor saves its own viewpoints for the weekday Commentary section, which also presents those of contributors representing different areas of expertise. Indeed, reading the CSM for a while has left me feeling well-informed about world and national issues, not only about what is happening but also about "why," "how," and "what may come next."

Some Kindle readers, however, might opt, as I have been doing, to combine the CSM with a daily "latest news" blog having an updating feed because each morning's CSM download will not update and will include only what is on the Monitor's website before the download occurs. Thus, each morning's download inevitably brings yesterday's articles. On the day after it had already landed, I received an article about the landing of the space shuttle Discovery. It appeared on the same download as an even older one titled "When Is the Space Shuttle Discovery Set to Land?"

Fortunately, most articles, which are written by the Monitor's own staff writers and correspondents positioned around the world, focus on the implications of an event--what may have led to it, what may follow, how it connects to other situations and broader issues. In this way, even yesterday's news articles often bring new insights.

Whenever the Science, Environment, or Innovation section downloads, I always enjoy its articles. I skim the weekday Business section and particularly look forward to the weekday Books section. As well as an extremely brief piece by a Monitor reader who names a recommended title, it usually includes a longer, more satisfying review by a contributor who puts me in touch with a work I otherwise might have missed. (The emphasis has been on non-fiction and biography.) Appearing, too, in this section each week is a list of the bestselling books of that week according to IndieBound, and on notable dates, such as the Ides of March or St. Patrick's Day, a reviewer recommends several books relevant to the date, a nice feature.

Another favorite section, The Culture, usually contains two or more articles and downloads frequently. As somebody interested in the arts, I especially appreciate the occasional pieces focused on music, dance, art or drama. I wish there were more because they give insights I do not find elsewhere. Movie reviews turn up each week, and a poem occasionally appears, though Kindle does not usually format it well. The Culture sometimes includes a story about a person making a difference or about a person's memorable experience, such as a recent piece about an encounter between two women during a train ride across Turkmenistan. While the CSM is not a religious publication, this section frequently includes an article about an event, often one in the news, discussed from a Christian Science perspective. I belong to a different denomination but still like reading it.

All in all, I have been enjoying this CSM subscription. I do supplement it with a "latest news" blog having an updating feed (which is also nice to have on the days when the Monitor downloads less content), and with other material related to my own interests. However, in spite of a few drawbacks, the subscription offers much to those who want the CSM on their kind-to-the-eyes, transportable Kindles. I particularly value the Monitor's independence from any large corporations, its emphasis on the positive, and its non-sensational, non-celebrity-driven, well-balanced coverage of the news.
on August 7, 2010
This is one stop shopping for world news! In depth reporting with clear and concise editorials. On occasion some just plain fun stuff to read too.
on July 24, 2011
The Kindle Edition is basically paying for the convenience of having a few of the articles from the main page (csmonitor.com). This convenience is something I would pay for, but it is inexcusable that the content of the payed kindle edition would actually be less than the free online edition. If the price were lowered a little bit and the amount of content were expanded to reflect the main page, than I will continue to subscribe to this.
on December 20, 2010
2013 update: I have found some very disappointing editorials and reporting in this newspaper and have cancelled my subscription. I sincerely hope they return to the way they were before this change. Original review:I am very happy with my Kindle edition of the CSM. I have not read news coverage with less bias than this newspaper. I am not politically in the middle but the exaggerations and half truths from both sides that is reported by other newspapers drives me crazy. This one point makes this newspaper worth it for me.
on November 13, 2010
Everyday expect at least one thought provoking article that you will want to share with a friend or colleague. One reason I like the Monitor is that the articles are not just focused on the "bad" part of events creating a very simplified black and white world. The articles discuss events in a way that show the many facets of an event and make you think. It is really refreshing to read such well written and thought out articles on pertinent issues. I have been reading the Monitor for years and subscribe to the weekly paper edition. Very happy to get a daily version on my Kindle. Some days there are more articles than others but that is fine since I am always behind. The Table of Contents and formating are excellent for the Kindle. Definitely worth every penny.
on August 30, 2010
I am glad that this has finally became available because we need more general unbiased news. Some days there are only a few articles so it is not really worth the price but then the next day there will be about 30 articles. I would like to see a weekly "roundup" edition with the most popular articles and opinion pieces published on the weekend.

Any newspaper which has a good mix of articles with which I agree and disagree is a good read. I can find a lot of newspapers which I generally agree with and a lot of newspapers with which I generally disagree. Balance is good.
on November 2, 2011
As Funnybones noted, the paper has become so sparse as of late that I have had to cancel it. Often there are only two to four articles per day! That is too few and pathetic. The articles that are there are great and it's a good paper, but I do not know why so much content is missing. I had to cancel because of that. It's nice that there are a few pictures, but those are far in between. Good organization of paper.
on February 12, 2011
I must say that I was extremely pleased with the extensive coverage of Egypt. Well written, balanced, unbiased articles that I believe went far beyond what I would be able to pull up on the interntet. Very impressed with the reporting. I would, however, really appreciate more photos. In addition, I am a little disappointed that most of the news on the Kindle version appears to be international. I really want a newspaper that gives me a whole world view with reviews of entertainment (film, books, plays) thrown in. The online version is far superior in that aspect.