5.0 out of 5 stars This novella helps take the EXCE$$ES out of CHRI$TMA$
THIS IS A STORY OF CHRISTMAS TRADITIONS. You'll be reminded of your own holiday traditions. It is a warm story with a message, loud and clear. The author seems to have opened her own holiday heart and tradition to bring readers "The Christmas Lamp" opportunity.

Published on November 10, 2009 by Harold Wolf

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't shine as brightly as I'd hoped
When I clicked on the "purchase" button for this book I was hoping for a nice fleshed out Christmas story. Unfortunately it didn't meet expectations.

Published on November 10, 2009 by Deborah V

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars This novella helps take the EXCE$$ES out of CHRI$TMA$, November 10, 2009
Harold Wolf "Doc" (Wells, IN United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)

Antagonist, Jake Brisco, a financial consultant crashes into town (Nativity, Missouri), literally, into the town's giant decorated Christmas tree. He's arrived to turn the town's financial books from red to black, even at the cost of it's holiday traditions, if necessary, and it is.

Protagonist, Roni Elliot, beautiful, single gal on the Mayor's staff, likes all the town's glittering traditions, which have "always been done that way before." Traditions like the accident-prone tree, a parade, Eugenia's limpa rye and fruitcake, poinsettias, a town skating rink, cantata, carolers, spiced cider, and even hot chocolate with a peppermint cane swizzle stick.

Sounds predictable? Well who'd want a Christmas story were Scrooge wins the day, where Santa's sleigh never gets away, where Tiny Tim dies, or 'horror-of-horrors', Ralphie using his Red Ryder air BB gun and "shoots his eye out!" Yes the story is wrapped up in traditions that must change but the underlying truth and tradition of "good will toward man" comes through even as Jake and Roni....well, I'll not say it.

Not really a romance till the end, but instead a very well written short story about what's important about Christmas. Perfect for today's economy. A great choice for the Christian Fiction fan too. It's a very nice length for the busy Christmas season, and a good price and size for mailing to friends and family far away, to say you MISS THEM. This is a fast read, that may become an annual literary tradition itself.

It's hard for me to say, being a man, but I think the ladies will like this even better than the men. :-}

3.0 out of 5 stars Didn't shine as brightly as I'd hoped, November 10, 2009
This review is from: The Christmas Lamp: A Novella (Kindle Edition)

Nativity is a dying town since the new expressway veered off and bypassed it. One of the residents hires her grandson Jake Brisco to revitalize the town's prospects for survival. He meets Roni Elliot, the manager of city business office. One of Jake's cost cutting measures is to scale back or get rid of some of the town's Christmas traditions. He becomes one of the most disliked folks in town.

Roni is very upset about Jake's cutbacks from removing the tree in the middle of an intersection that is knocked over and replaced several times a season to other cost cutting measures. To me she comes off a bit whiny and immature. At first I thought Jake was going to be the typical insensitive macho male, but he comes off with more common sense than Roni telling her a couple of times that Christmas traditions are fine, but Christmas really comes from within and from Jesus. She continued to want the outer trapping through most of the book even though the town is dying and going under fast.

There didn't seem to be any chemistry between the two main characters, Roni and Jake. It was more like watching good friends than a potential developing couple. The story while sweet, kind of limps along. The author has a town full of characters, but they never quite are fleshed out enough for you to care about their lives in the dying town. The person that seemed most real to me was Jake's Grandmother who has a small, but integral and important supporting role crucial to the story.

3.0 out of 5 stars Get yourself into the Christmas spirit, November 21, 2009
This review is from: The Christmas Lamp: A Novella (Kindle Edition)
This is a short and sweet inspirational Christmas novella, wonderful as a free download for Kindle.

It takes place in Nativity, Missouri, a small town that once had a prosperous economy thanks to the many tour buses that stopped on the way to nearby Branson, a tourist mecca. Now that the new road has bypassed it, Nativity is struggling to survive and has hired a consultant to devise a plan to save it, but the timing couldn't be worse.

Nativity is used to going all out for Christmas, regardless of expense, and its new consultant, who arrives just before Christmas, hates the trappings of the holiday.

By the end of the story, everyone has learned a lesson in the true value of the Christmas spirit, and that the same message can be conveyed by both an elegant Christmas lamp and the tacky lamp of the classic movie, A Christmas Story.

The plot is a little predictable, but the story is good and the characters are likable, so this is a quick and pleasant way to read your way into the Christmas spirit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heart Warming, November 20, 2009
This review is from: The Christmas Lamp: A Novella (Kindle Edition)
The Christmas Lamp was very touching. It is a story where the towns' people come together to make Christmas tradition happen against all odds. It makes you stop and think of all your own traditions, memories, and family. It helps you to realize how tragedy can affect someone for a long time. Then they let go of the hurt and pain to live again.

4.0 out of 5 stars Reviews from Brizmus Blogs Books, December 22, 2009
This review is from: The Christmas Lamp: A Novella (Kindle Edition)
The Christmas Lamp is an adorable story of love and tradition. Love when you least expect it and creating new traditions when the old ones are lost. It is a great reminder of just how priceless and important tradition really is.
Nativity, Missouri is a small, dying town, jus trying to stay alive. For them, all of their Christmas traditions, right down to the Christmas tree in the middle of the intersection that gets run over at least three times a year, are more important than anything else. WHen a new consultant comes along to try to help the town with their financial woes, and he says they have to cut back on their Christmas expenditures or else they won't survive, the town is forced to come together and remember what Christmas is really all about.
While the Christmas Lamp is extremely predictable - I had pretty much the whole story figured out from page 1 - it's also an exciting journey of predictability. I was happy to be along for the ride.
I think Roni and Jake, the protagonists, have quite a bit more in common than they think, and reading about them together as they realize they are falling in love left me with a huge smile on my face. Nativity itself seems like the cutest small town - the kind of place I would love to live when I retire - It's filled with kind, happy, generous people.
As Copeland tells her story, the reader can't help but be filled with a beautiful sense of Christmas joy, love, and cheer. She reminds us of the true spirit of Christmas without being preachy or talking overtly about God, which I find to be an amazing feat.
I also loved the way she incorporated the Lamp from "A Christmas Story." It made me feel even more connected to the book.
All in all, this is the kind of book I want to be reading at Christmas time.

4.0 out of 5 stars Getting a Leg Up on the Holiday Season, December 9, 2009
Lori Copeland has written another book to remind us what is the true meaning of Christmas. The town of Nativity has been suffering from the lack of economy and have called in a financial consultant to help them with their money woes. However as soon as Jake arrives, he gets off to a bad start with the townsfolk by nearly wrecking their beloved Christmas tree. Jake soon finds that the town is so involved with tradition in keeping an ideal Christmas that it's easy to see why they are in debt. As he tries to wean them from their long standing traditions, both him and the town learn what should be important during the holiday season. This book is a really great way to get into the holiday season but it also shows what we should also be focusing on. The town, while having good intentions, seem to be set in their ways and didn't want to change things even though they were suffering. Even when told how their continued ways would bring on the town's demise, they were still adamant on keeping things just as they were because they were comfortable with it. I could totally understand Jake's frustration with the townsfolk and Roni. They needed help but wouldn't accept it. This book has several lessons running throughout it which really makes you think about not only the holiday season but what we put importance on.

I was EXTREMELY geeked to read about the lamp from A Christmas Story! It's one of my family's favorite Christmas movies and we always get a kick out of watching it every year. In fact my sisters' bought a miniature version of the lamp for my husband for Christmas while we were dating.

The only little qualm I had with the story is how fast Roni and Jake's relationship progressed. He's been in town for only a few weeks and by the end of the story they are already in love. I just didn't feel like it was very realistic and not very encouraging to other advice that tells you not to fall in love too quickly. Other than that, I enjoyed the book. It's a quick read and it does get you in the holiday spirit. It's good to have reminders of why we celebrate Christmas and where to place importance on during this hectic season.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fun Christmas read, December 6, 2009
Katie Casey (Spring Hill, KS) - See all my reviews
A really cute and enjoyable Christmas read. Fans of the movie "Christmas Story" will especially appreciate the FRAGILE lamp. It's a real feel-good holiday tale with a little romance and a lot of hope thrown in!

4.0 out of 5 stars A message to remember, December 15, 2009
During the Christmas season, I usually enjoy decorating the house, watching Christmas movies, and spreading good cheer. However, if my life is in turmoil, I am certainly not in a merry mood. "Bah, humbug" quickly becomes my mantra. But if the familiar saying "Christ is the reason for the season" is true, shouldn't I always have a reason to be joyful?

What is happening to us usually dictates our happiness. However, a sense of peace comes from God. I should be at peace despite my circumstances and what is happening to me. Unfortunately, I don't always put the idea into practice. Yes, I'm still a work in progress.

It seems in The Christmas Lamp, the citizens of Nativity, Missouri had a lot to learn, too. A Christmas tree, decorating competitions, and ice-skating parties ushered them into the Christmas spirit. But when the town needs to make necessary budget cuts, eliminating the traditions all together, will they allow the setback to squash their Christmas spirit?

The Christmas Lamp reminded me that no matter how bad or good things are in my life, I should find something to celebrate during the Christmas season. After all, Christmas celebrates God's precious gift to us -- a reason for joy every day of the year.

Merry Christmas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved It!, November 19, 2009
This review is from: The Christmas Lamp: A Novella (Kindle Edition)
I really enjoyed this book about traditions and the real spirt of Christmas. I highly recommend it and will be starting my own tradition by re-reading it every season to come.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good story that I enjoyed, but not that compelling..., December 8, 2009
This was a cozy Christmas story with the required warm fuzzies and a touch of romance. The title didn't seem to fit the story, though. There was nothing especially profound about this book. The conflict was there but more tender and in the holiday spirit that most. Plus the tension between them was modified by their attraction to each other, which I found endearing. I liked that it wasn't overly done. So if you want a cozy read that begs for hot chocolate and a fireplace to curl up in front of, you'll want to read this book or buy it for someone this Christmas.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›