Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Men's Leather Watches Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums Explore Home Audio All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Bring a little greenery into your home Amazon Gift Card Offer girls2 girls2 girls2  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Winter Sports on Amazon.com SnS

Format: Kindle EditionChange
Price:$7.99

on October 17, 2011
Gaby Summerhill's family hasn't been together for Christmas since her husband Peter died, but that's about to change. You see Gaby has been proposed to by three men, and the thing is she is going to have a Christmas wedding, and she isn't going to to disclose who the groom will be until the wedding.So the only way her children, Emily, Claire Lizzie and Seth will know who she is marrying is to come home for Christmas.
I loved getting to know Gaby's children. Each of them were dealing with their own issues making this an interesting story. One was having marital troubles, one had a husband fighting cancer, another is a very successful lawyer who is married but puts in way to much time at her job, and finally one is trying to get a book published. Each child's story would have made for an interesting book in itself but roll them together and it made the plot of this book move along nonstop. I loved the plan Gaby came up with to get her children home, an idea that was totally new, hooking me, making me wonder myself who she would marry. There was even a twist thrown in that actually surprised me.
Overall if you enjoy family stories where the family seems as real as a your next door neighbors, and want to feel a bit of the magic of the holiday season then your going to want to pick this book up. Normally when I think of James Patterson I think of action packed thrillers, but he can certainly pull of a nice Christmas time family story as well. Highly recommended!
*A complimentary copy of this book was provided in exchange for an honest review.*
1212 comments177 of 200 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 30, 2011
After this past year, I am more firmly convinced that James Patterson is actually dead,and someone with greed but no taste decided his last few cookie-cutter collaborations did not deserve a decent burial along with the 'ghost writer,'Patterson."The Christmas Wedding" is, by far, the worst desecration. We are expected to believe that three men will stand at an altar, and have the bride choose one of them in front of a roomful of people! These men obviously don't share a pair between them! Our heroine, Gaby, is a shallow creature who deserves to be sucker punched by as many guests as possible as she walks down the aisle. If I write anymore, I'll give something away, and I wouldn't want to do that to any lost soul who does not think life is too short to waste on this yuletide suffering (I mean offering)! In closing, here's my holiday wish for you, fellow reader... save your hard-earned money, and treat yourself to a peppermint latte and a bag of Christmas cookies!
6767 comments151 of 170 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 26, 2011
Once upon a time, I adored James Patterson's writing. I couldn't get enough of his books from about ten years ago and prior, but as the years have gone by and he has started pumping out a book or two every couple months, the quality of his stories has really plummeted. Most of Patterson's books these days are collaborations, so I am not sure how much he actually writes and how much is just his name printed prominently on the cover to boost sales. Regardless, his older novels are excellent and his more recent books are usually still not too shabby. They are at the very least, usually quick, easy, entertaining reading. This is not true of Christmas Wedding, which is in fact the worst James Patterson novel I have ever read by far. Honestly, Christmas Wedding is the worst book I have read in a very long time, and I am not opposed to a sappy Christmas story now and then. Christmas Wedding is slow and boring from cover to cover. I kept waiting for an amazing plot twist to pull it all together and make it a worthwhile read, but it never came. The description of the book from the book jacket reads, " . . . But the wedding isn't Gaby's only surprise--she has one more gift for her children, and it could change all their lives forever." After reading this book, I have no idea what this other gift/surprise for her children is. I didn't choose this book expecting it to be action packed, but I did expect it to have more to it than it did. The line above from the book's own description, gave me the impression that there would something to the story that wasn't already mentioned on the book jacket. I was hoping for something on the level of "Suzanne's Diary for Nicholas" or a charmingly magical plot twist like the ones Nicolas Sparks does so well. Christmas Wedding has no twists and is neither interesting nor charming. Don't waste your time reading this book. You will be disappointed.
11 comment29 of 30 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 8, 2011
Gee, I wished I hadn't bought this, what a waste of time and money reading it. It was a chore to finish reading it, hoping it might actually get interesting. I wish I would have read more of the Amazon reader reviews for it. I should have waited until it shows up in the Dollar Store shelves for a buck probably by Spring. I gave it one star because the cover was pretty.
11 comment24 of 25 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on October 20, 2011
This has to be his worst one yet. No,his sci fi one, Toys, was terrible. I like his mysteries and he needs to stick to those. The plot was silly. Who plans a wedding but even the groom doesn't know until the actual ceremony. The whole family has problems. It was so disappointing. He has no skill writing about feelings and real life situations and emotions. Give it up and go back to mysteries. I'm glad it was a library book and I didn't waste my money on it.
1111 comments88 of 103 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 8, 2011
The description of the book from its jacket reads, " . . . But the wedding isn't Gaby's only surprise--she has one more gift for her children, and it could change all their lives forever."

And --- What could that be? There was no twist at the end of this awful book to provide an answer. Zilch. I was left appalled at such a product produced seemingly under James Patterson's name. The plot -- entirely unrealistic -- she decides at the altar whom she is willing to marry? While the 3 "candidates" so patiently stand and wait? Please give a break to all of us out here who still believe we have some brains.

Years ago I stopped buying JP's books and borrowed only from the library. But no other book has made me so glad I did. I wish you gave the option of zero stars.
on November 5, 2011
I have enjoyed every book with James Patterson's name on it - until this one.

The story: Numerous men have proposed to Gaby but she is not revealing to anyone - not even the men - which one she is going to marry until the wedding on Christmas day. She sends "teaser" videos to each of her grown children.

I tried to motivate myself to finish and got through more than 3/4 of the book and decided that I don't care who she marries. There is an elementary school quality about the writing and it might be really cute if it was written by an elementary school student - but it was written by an adult.

The other name [author] on this book is Richard DiLallo. Apparently this is his first novel. Perhaps he should find another line of work.
VINE VOICEon October 25, 2011
This would be best to be considered a short story instead of a full length novel.

This story is the typical feel good Hallmark Christmas Story. I enjoyed the story knowing that it was going to just be a feel good moment. Gaby is wanting her kids to come home for Christmas. It has been three years since her husband, their father passed away. They have not all been together since. But this year she has them coming because she has announced that she is getting married. But who is she going to marry? She isn't even sure yet.

Three different men have proposed to her and they just all happen to be friends. So, Gaby proclaims that she accepts and wants to get married on Christmas day. The catch, she won't announce who the groom is until the wedding.

That is the story line but how each person responds is the gist of the short story.

Again, I enjoyed the book. My only complaint, the price is that of a full length book, and this story is not that. The price is out of line with the product.
11 comment13 of 14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 7, 2011
This is one of the worst books I have ever read. The plot was so silly that I kept holding out hop there was a big twist at the end to validate the reading time I had invested. But, alas, it was not to be. All that happened at the end was I knew I had wasted time and money on a very poor story.
11 comment12 of 13 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 1, 2011
I was shocked that this story was as terrible as it was. The main character has 3 beaus who have proposed but I never understand what is so appealing about her to cause 3 beaus to wait around, playing games to discover who gets to marry her. I kept waiting and waiting for the story to have some depth, substance, any characters I could care about but it never happened. I'm not sure why Patterson even bothered with this release. The only positives for me were that the writing is so snappy that the book didn't take long to finish and I got it from the library but I feel terrible for people who paid money to read it.