3,379 Reviews
 (2,681)

1,181 of 1,207 people found the following review helpful
4.0 out of 5 stars Info on the "adult" editions of these great books . . . .
Let me start by saying that I loved these stories as a child. I read "The Lion, the With and the Wardrobe" in fourth grade as a part of class. I was reluctant to read it and had no interest (school kids are like that) but I was sucked into the story very quickly. I had my parents buy me the boxed set and I believe I ended up reading 5 of the 7 books. I absolutely love...
Published on November 24, 2005 by K. Sudhakar

3,184 of 3,480 people found the following review helpful
2.0 out of 5 stars Don't Tamper With Perfection
(please note that this review concerns only the new publications)
The Chronicles of Narnia are perfect books. They are wonderful for children and adults, and can be read again and again. C. S. Lewis was a brilliant author and theologian, and was competent in what he was doing. I have been reading these books since I was young enough to pick up a book, and I was...
Published on December 9, 2002 by C. N. White

‹ Previous | 1153 154 155338 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Always a classic, April 9, 2014
Just finished reading it to my daughter. It is as good and better than when I first read it .

5.0 out of 5 stars All Time Best, April 9, 2014
Jafe in Fort Worth (Fort Worth, TX United States) - See all my reviews
Can't go wrong with CS Lewis. This is a classic among classics and will NEVER disappoint kids or adults. Get the whole set while you're at it. You won't regret it.

5.0 out of 5 stars LLW, April 9, 2014
Third time I've read this classic from C.S. Lewis; and it never get old to me. A great read for the young and old.

4.0 out of 5 stars A classic fantasy novel, April 8, 2014
It's been years since I first read this book and now on a second reading, it's just as good as I remember. There is plenty of analogies relating to Christian theology. This is a fun book that can be read in one sitting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Because, April 8, 2014
In the past few days I have had the opportunity to read "pro's and con's" regarding, "The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Actually, there were only two con's! One from a woman who wanted to "debunk" the book and another guy who was a confirmed atheist. I am 63 years old and I have enjoyed reading since the 3rd grade. There is not one category of books I have not read. Granted, I have not read every book every written, but I have amassed a wealth of knowledge through reading. Which brings me to C.S. Lewis. I did not discover anything about him till I was in my 40's. I was teaching Children's Church at my place of worship and was looking for something unique in a video format. I discovered, "The Chronicle's of Narnia. The children loved it. Did I teach them that the stories were representations of Christ like living? Don't remember, but some of my kids knew how to put 2 & 2 together, and they shared with the younger ones. How did they ultimately receive it? They hung onto every word spoken and every scene shown. All I had to do was put it out there. It was well received.

Now from my view point as a semi-responsible adult. I've learned that whatever you read goes into your mind permanently! You can choose to accept the reading with an open or a shut mind. As for me, despite my age, I can escape into a book. I know how to define fantasy from reality. I also harm no one by allowing myself to escape to a world that was created by the "song of Aslan". I could visualize his creation of Narnia in all its glory and newness. If I choose to present that visualization to a child, that is my prerogative. You put your child in front of me, I will encourage him or her to dream. In fact I encourage parents to allow their small children to see the movies or read the books. At a point in their own lives, they will begin to reason for themselves. If I as a grandfather chose to present Aslan as a type of Christ, I can do so. Because I have to be able to present the story of creation, and good and evil in some way a small mind can conceive, knowing they will eventually seek the truth on their own. So, if you're reading this and want my opinion, YES, purchase this book. Read it aloud to your children. Join in on their fantasy. Relive a small portion of your own childhood that was put on a shelf and forgotten about. Don't have children? Volunteer to read to some where. Live again and escape to a magical world where talking animals and humans share life together. I promise, you won't regret it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Religious allegory, April 7, 2014
Steven Davis (Rowlett, Texas USA) - See all my reviews
The one inescapable fact of The Chronicles of Narnia is that it is a Christian allegory. It is not merely, as many novels are, Christian in its values, sentiments and cultural references. The plots are direct representation of Biblical events and ideas such as the Creation, the Crucifixion and Resurrection, the Antichrist, and the Last Judgment. Conveying Christian ideas to a juvenile audience is the point of the book, and it can no more be judged independently of its religious framework than could a novel such as The Pilgrim's Progress.

The seven novels all take place in the land of Narnia on a world which is parallel to our Earth and reachable only by magic. Only children are invited to cross over into Narnia, usually to accomplish a specific task from which they will learn a valuable lesson. Narnia is peopled by humans as well as creatures representing a mixture of pagan traditions: dwarfs, giants, satyrs, centaurs, naiads, and tree spirits. There are also two varieties of each species of animal, a normal version, and a larger more intelligent "Talking Animal" form. Many of the characters in the novel are talking animals. Ruling over them all, in spirit at least, is Aslan, the golden lion, a clear representation of Christ.

The setting is well-crafted and the stories well-written, but there is nothing exceptional about the plots or characters. Without the religious message, this would be just typical and unremarkable children's fare. The allegorical nature of the work gives several of the novels such an air of detachment that you can't feel particularly involved in the story. The novels where the Biblical message was more subtle, The Horse and His Boy and The Silver Chair, were the ones I found most enjoyable because of their combination of adventure and humor. At the other extreme, the apocalyptic final novel The Last Battle is absolutely horrid.

The omnibus volume puts the novels in order by internal chronology, which is said to be the way the author wanted them to be read. I think this order might be most satisfying for an adult reader, but The Magician's Nephew, which comes first in that case, isn't likely to be as welcoming to younger readers as The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, the first one published.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amy, April 6, 2014
Awesome book.I first thought I would hate it but it is very good and I love it a lot and can't wait to read more

5.0 out of 5 stars Narnia, April 6, 2014
Chronicles of Narnia - A well loved classic - good for reading and rereading. The boxed set also makes a great gift.

5.0 out of 5 stars Like An Old Friend, April 3, 2014
M. Susan (Brooklyn, NY) - See all my reviews
This classic story never gets old and I never fail to find something new in it no mattere how many times I reread it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, April 2, 2014
I Really liked this book because it was really adventurous and cool. It had a lot of cool adventures and a lot of animals that don't exist, like unicorns, giants and centaurs

‹ Previous | 1153 154 155338 | Next ›

The Chronicles of Narnia, Box Set (7 Volumes, Complete)
The Chronicles of Narnia, Box Set (7 Volumes, Complete) by C. S. Lewis (Paperback - April 1, 2008)
Used & New from: $13.96