Showing 1-10 of 31 reviews (2 star)show all reviews
on April 9, 2011
Format: Blu-ray
I am referring to the Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy cheap cardboard triple encasing of 0 2454370750 9 80.

Of the more than thousand DVDs we have bought this is absolutely the most terribly stupid boxing I have yet come across!

I had to use a long chemist's spatula to separate the quadruple fold cardboard discs/book holder from the second box it was glued to the inside of. Then I discovered the perpetually sticky glue was also on the surface of both the Blu-Ray and the DVD discs as well. They are not on any kind of central plastic retainers but slid into the cardboard sides like the oft scratched cheaply enveloped $1 DVDs sold at Walmart and Dollar stores - ONLY THIS IS MUCH WORSE AS THE GLUE HOLDING THE SIDES TOGETHER GETS ALL OVER THE SURFACE OF THE DISCS LIKE NON-DRYING CONTACT CEMENT! With care I was able to extract the discs and with a clean micro-fiber cloth polished off the glue on their surfaces leaving them clean and unscratched. I then used the spatula again to open the sides up enough to accept some plastic DVD/CD envelopes to keep the glue from resticking to the discs but I had to trim off the corners of the envelopes to get them in and stand any chance of extracting them again.

Being really POed about the experience I am posting to prevent this from happening to others. WAIT UNTIL THIS COMES OUT IN BETTER PACKAGING OR BUY ANOTHER VERSION. I'm 59 and a professional craftsperson who's made thousands of items professionally, not some spastic adolescent. My description is accurate.
on May 7, 2011
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
The Chronicles of Narnia have been my favorite books since I was 5. When I saw that they were putting those beloved pages ont he big screen I was both delighted and fearful. When I saw the first movie, I notived the spot where they changed the storyline a bit, call it artistic license, so that it would flow better as a movie. The changes were minimal and didn't alter the story itself. I was Okal with that. The second movie was quite a bit altered, but again, I could see where they may have seen the changes as necessary to help it flow right on the big screen. It was well done, and overall I could accept it, although I did gripe about some missing details, and some farther out scenes.

This one though... What were they thinking? For every Narnia lover that I've known, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader is the favorite of the books. It's the kind of book that you have dreams about and want to re-read the second you finish it. Not only did they alter the storyline, they added a complete central theme that never existed. They downplayed some very essential parts, and added a bunch of crud that they must have thought necessary, but destroyed the entire story as far as I'm concerned.

My children, my husband and myself left the theater feeling completely cheated and wondering why they felt the need to wreck the best story ever. I expected there to be some challenges with certain effects, or with putting into pictures certain things that is left to each individual's imagination, that happens in most movies, but the book flows beautifully as it is. The added story line that, I guess, was supposed to help the flow, was entirely arbitrary, unnecessary, and made no sense. Personally, it ticked me off.

I suppose, if you've never read the book, and never intend to, and don't mind your kids never reading it either, it was a tollerable movie on it's own... If you are a lover of the books and actually want the story, read it... of if you really want it on the screen, the BBC made a low budget version back in the 80s or 90s that is true to the story, despite the bad special effects.
on May 4, 2011
Format: DVD
I decided to go see this movie in theaters the day it came out. Bad idea. I will admit that it was enjoyable if you never read the book. Personally the book was way better. And the movie is very loosely based on the book. So if you never have read the book, you will probably like the movie. If you have read the book, this is your warning. lol
on April 12, 2011
Format: Blu-ray
When I saw how ridiculous this packaging is, I checked on here to make sure my package wasn't a fluke. By no means have I read all of the reviews about this packaging, so if someone else has already covered what follows, bear with me. I thought the packaging was so absurd that I had to do something about it. The back of the case shows [...], so I went there to that site on Saturday evening. I found a customer service email address that, honestly, I didn't think applied to my situation because I hadn't purchased the set directly from that site (I bought it from Best Buy). I sent them an email telling them what I thought of the package and that I had seen many other negative reviews on Amazon. I didn't really think anything would come from my email, but it felt good getting it off my chest. Much to my surprise, I just got a phone call from a customer service supervisor at 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment, less than 48 hours after I sent the email. She said that they have heard some complaints already and are "monitoring" the situation. When I told her that my discs seem to have glue residue on them, but that I wasn't sure if it would affect playback because I haven't had a chance to watch the movie yet, she told me not to try. There is a chance the glue residue could hurt the blu-ray or DVD player. She suggested that I take the set back to Best Buy to exchange it for another set, and to open the new set in the store to verify that there is no residue on the discs in the new set. She encouraged me to call back if I had any problems with the exchange, that she could process an exchange for me, but that it could be a lengthy process. So, while this is not a "fix," it definitely feels like a positive step in the right direction from Fox.
44 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: DVD
I prefer the 1980's BBC versions I grew up with from PBS. At least they got the storylines mostly right! The whole point of the Voyage of the Dawn Treader is for the 7 lost lords who were great friends of Caspian's father and banished by evil uncle Miraz to be found and for Caspian to venture to the farthest Eastern end of the world. Telemarines has been afraid of the water and the East because of Aslan, so Caspian is trying to make Narnia a seafaring nation again with this revolutionary voyage. Some people say this book isn't exciting enough for a full-length feature film. Oh, ok, I see, so being kidnapped by slavers and reconquering the Lone Islands, running across an island belonging to a fallen star and inhabited by invisible, one-footed beings, a fight over an island where the water turns anything to gold, being lost and becoming a dragon only to be turned human again when a lesson is learned, meeting a star at rest who eats a berry from the sun every morning, encountering a sea serpent, coming to an island where nightmares come true, and coming to the edge of the world isn't exciting enough??? This was my favorite book of the series growing up!

Why, oh WHY was there this absolute B.S. about a green mist, people disappearing in boats as sacrifices, 7 swords beings united, etc etc??? Why did the story need it? It felt tacked-on to me. So many of my favorite scenes were forever fatally skewed and destroyed by this interpretation. This was not The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, it was another story entirely that was vaguely based on said book. Kids are too easily bored these days if the grand seafaring adventure the book was isn't enough for them.

Here are all the things this movie got wrong:

1.) Governor Gumpas isn't present at all, Lord Bern is in a dungeon, and we see the advent of the ridiculous "Green mist." What really happens is: Upon reaching the Lone Islands, Caspian, Eustace, Edmund, Lucy, and Reepicheep set across an empty island. They are all captured by slavers and taken to market. Caspian is rescued by Lorn Bern who married a local girl and settled in the islands after leaving his companions to go on. They raise a small army and use a clever set of maneuvers to fool the idiot Governor Gumpas into believing Caspian has come to re-conquer the islands. Gumpas is unseated and Bern is made a Duke.
2.) The island of Coriakin comes WAY too soon! It belongs WAY further along in the series, after Eustace becomes good, before the encounter with the sea serpent. Lucy isn't kidnapped, ever. She sees their footprints first and hears them, runs to her group, the whole group is surrounded after they see the house, lands, orchards, etc. They are wined and dined and Lucy volunteers to undo the invisibility spell to keep her comrades safe. She sees the beauty spell but Aslan talks to her and she leaves it alone, she NEVER steals it! She makes friends with the fallen star (the movie never mentions he's a fallen star and caring for the Dufflepuds is his atonement) and he gives them guidance for the rest of their journey. Again, NO GREEN MIST!!!
3.) In the REAL story: The calm comes when Eustace is still a rotten kid. He steals water, Reepicheep catches him. Reepicheep later gets to go at him with a sword because Eustace pulled his tail while he was on lookout from the mouth of the dragon.
4.) Deathwater Island and the Dragon Island are NOT the same thing! In the book: The group camps out early on at the island of the dragon. Eustace wanders off, sees a dragon, sees the dragon die, finds the treasure in a cave, falls asleep, becomes a dragon. He's terrified at first until he realizes he's the dragon. Then he comes onto the beach, is challenged, then Lucy realizes who it is. He finds how lonely he is as a dragon. They spend many days on the island repairing the ship after the terrible storms they encountered. See, they are tossed about in a tempest for days on end, the water supply runs low, they make it to the island, Eustace becomes a dragon and finds how fulfilling it is to be useful and have companionship. Then Aslan comes to him and takes him to a pool where he keeps scraping several skins off himself until Aslan splits his skin deep and throws him into the pool. Eustace is a boy again and a better one after he realizes how rotten he'd been before and how much he liked being nice and people being nice to him in return. The bracelet Eustace wore the entire time proves the dragon he saw die was probably the lost Lord Octesian. Eustace NEVER leaves the island as a dragon!! They know he could never ride on the ship or have the strength to fly. Ridiculous.
5.) At Deathwater Island, they find what they think is a statue, but realize when a shell is dipped into the water that he was once human. Remaining clothing and gear prove him to be Lord Restimar. Caspian and Edmund fight as the thought of endless riches has a dangerously intoxicating effect, until Aslan interferes and speaks to both of them in their minds. They leave the island, never revealing its terrible secret. There is never a rivalry between Caspian and Edmund over who is the higher king.
6.) The sea serpent wasn't part of Edmund's imagination, it was REAL. It really did attack the ship and try to squeeze it in two. It was only defeated by the efforts of everyone on the ship. It was pushed over the stern of the ship and they sailed away before it could get its wits about it and come back to attack again.
7.) The dark island is, yes, where they found Lord Rhoop. But, it was not the source of some overpowering evil! It was simply a place where nightmares came true. It was a dark place in the ocean. They sailed in when none of them wanted to be called cowards by Reepicheep for avoiding a possible adventure, found Lord Rhoop who was mad with years of residing there, were lured by the idea of dreams coming true, found out they were really nightmares, and then found they could not get out. An albatross came and led them out when Lucy called to Aslan for help. The island was destroyed in the process.
8.) The Island of Ramandu was NOT as early as the movie made it! It was the last island before Aslan's country. The crew actually meets Ramandu, who tells them he is a star at rest. The story of the fireberries from the sun, and the birds that bring them, how the food is renewed every day, and how Ramandu will rise again as a new star, is SO beautiful! They left ALL of that out! Awful!! They find the remaining 3 lost Lords, asleep at the table for years because they had fought about staying or continuing on, and one had picked up the stone knife that was used by the White Witch to kill Aslan in The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe. Before Ramandu's daughter explains this, they are speculating and think the food is to blame. The the daughter explains that to wake the lords, they must sail as far East as their ship can take them, then leave at least one passenger behind. Then Caspian (who has been looking for a wife but unable to find one he cars for) alludes to the tale of Sleeping Beauty and promises Ramandu's daughter that he will return for her. The crew nearly mutinies at the idea of carrying on, but Caspian manages to get all but one on board.
9.) In the book: They sail on, the sun gets brighter, and they find they are caught in water they assume is forever rushing to the edge of the world and beyond it. They fear they may all be washed up and crash over the edge, but then find it is a broad channel they can steer out of if they wish onto calm water. Lucy sees people who live under the sea, and their forests and castles. Reepicheep tries to challenge one of them and falls into the water. It is here he discovers the water is sweet, just like in the song the dryad sang over him as a baby. They know they are near Aslan's country. A great lake of lilies grows for miles and miles, and they drink the sweet water to strengthen their eyes against the growing strength of the sun. The beauty is that they are getting nearer and nearer the sun the whole time, and daily they see the birds flying to Ramandu's Island to grant him youth and renew the feast. Another beautiful part that was LEFT OUT!!
10.) The Dawn Treader doesn't dump Caspian, Edmund, Lucy, Eustace, and Reepicheep in the boat to find their way to a sandbar where Aslan is! Really, it sails until it can sail no longer. Caspian then declares he will be the one left behind to find himself in Aslan's Country. He gets in a fight with Drinian, Edmund, and Lucy then storms into his cabin. There, Aslan talks to him, and he comes back to say he sees now that he must return to rule his country and take Ramandu's daughter as a bride. Aslan tells him Edmund, Lucy, Eustace, and Reepicheep must continue on, as Reepicheep wishes to partake in the biggest adventure of all. They go to a spit of land where Aslan greets them and tells Edmund and Lucy they cannot return to Narnia. Reepicheep gives up his sword, and continues on in his little coracle. The three children are returned to the bedroom where it all started and are great friends afterwards.

At least the movie got the beginning and ending right, but that's about it. All the other events are so out of sequence, mixed together, or changed in some integral way that I cannot appreciate the movie for what it is. Too many things that were dear to me were changed too much. I can't enjoy it for what it is. Through the whole thing, all I could think was "that didn't happen!" and "that's now how/when that happened!"

Screenwriters: stop messing with classics! These are classics for a reason, beloved for decades for a REASON! Why do you think you can improve on something so well-loved already? Why do you think your ideas are better or more exciting? These books will remain classics for many, many years to come, while these interpretations fade into obscurity. The reason Prince Caspian and The Voyage of the Dawn Treader weren't great successes is because you CHANGED them too much!!! Can't you see that??

Bottom line: Change is NOT always a good thing!!!
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 10, 2011
Format: Blu-rayVerified Purchase
if you're a collector, or you want the movie to last, DO NOT buy the Blu-Ray/DVD/Digital Copy combo package. I can not stress this enough. This packaging is the worst I've seen in my 30+ years, and I've seen some pretty horrible packaging (Charmed 8 seasons in one 'book', 24, 1-6 in a flimsy box not even held together well, etc).

the problems with this packaging are quite simple. You've got discs (dvds, brd, etc) in the cardboard itself. The package opens up into a 3 panel system. On the leftmost panel is the BRD, in the middle, a dropdown (which some haven't actually been able to get dropped down) with the digital copy and paperwork/postcards behind it , the rightmost panel holding the DVD.

The BRD and DVD take some messing with to get out. Guess what this means? they get scratched. The digital copy in the center seriously feels like it's glued in there.

Honestly, the movie is great. I'm not one of the "you must stick to the book 100%" people, that's just wrong. The packaging, however, is cheap and horribly done. Wait for the packaging to be fixed, or changed to proper packaging before you buy this, or you'll have to purchase it again and again and again, as the packaging treats the discs pretty harshly
on December 25, 2010
Format: DVD
If so, avoid this movie.
I went to see it with a friend, and she asked when it turned into a crossover with HP and the Deathly Hallows.

PROS
-Good acting. The actors were well-cast and very talented.
-Good script. In the spirit of the previous book, with a number of funny lines.
-Good character interpretation. The movie dealt well with the underlying fears and insecurities of each character, and found a resolution.

CONS
Almost everything else.
I know that, as with most adaptions, you can't fit everything into a single movie. (Though BBC did a good job trying) Therefore, I didn't mind when Deathwater Isle and Dragon Island were squished together, or when a letter from Susan and Eustace's diary were used to explain the basics of the start.
The Magician's Island, and Eustace's character, I liked.
That was about it, however.

They got the part about the seven missing Lords right, and eustace's complaining, but very little else.
Clearly, in the several hundred times I've read Chronicles of Narnia, I missed the creeping green mist, and how Lord Bern was a half-senile wreck who's been imprisoned since he came to the Lone Islands, rather than staying to settle down and start a family. I must have also bought a book with multiple typos, as I was under the impression that they were searching for seven exiled Lords, not the seven Swords needed to defeat a 'Great Evil'.

I find myself both dreading and hoping for the last two, as I loved those books, but am terrified of how Walden Media will screw them up.
1515 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Format: DVDVerified Purchase
First, I am a fan of this genre. Second, I am not one of those folks that hates movies just because they don't slavishly follow the book. I was reasonably happy with both the HP and LOTR movies as movies. I was OK with Prince Caspian and even Eragon, but this? Not only was this movie barely recognizable from the book, the changes made no sense and were often inconsistent with the overall story. Seven magic swords? What had been the quest for seven friends of Caspian's father became a quest for seven swords of indeterminate origin and powers, and the men they went to find were totally irrelevant. The didn't even NOTICE the sleepers at Aslan's table! And when they found Octesian in the water as a gold statue, not even a brief second of compassion, just "Oooh, get the sword." And the swords makes no sense. Let us presume that I am a usurper and I want to exile seven lords who oppose me, do I gift them each with a powerful magic sword (completely ignoring that there was never a single magic sword in any of the Chronicles) as parting gifts? Maybe give them a nice hug too?

Acting: Georgie Henley was head and shoulders above all the others and the only the thing that kept the movie from being an utter disaster. Skandar was not too bad, but his part was poorly written. Ben Barnes? I still can't tell if he dropped the ball or just wasn't given anything to work with but his performance was completely non-memorable, it has only been a couple days and I can barely remember that he was in the movie, and I generally like him as an actor. Will Poulter as Eustace... I am conflicted. Not sure if I didn't like his portrayal or just didn't like the character he portrayed. I would need to watch it again to be sure and not sure I want to watch it again.

Scenery/cinematography: Clearly the strength of the movie (though I was disappointed with Ramandu's Island). Bright colors, sweeping vistas, the ship itself was clearly presented in a manner to appeal to children, and while this bothered me personally it was absolutely understandable to do in this type of movie.

Bottom line: even if I was able to completely forget I had ever read the book, it would still only get three stars, as it is, two is generous.

I hope if they do The Silver Chair they can do a lot better. I would even be OK with them bringing back the White Witch instead of the Green (because apparently it is impossible to make a Narnia movie without Tilda Swinton...) as long as they can maintain a logically consistent plot line and combine it with good acting. And wouldn't Gary Oldman be an awesome Puddleglum?
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on April 10, 2011
Format: Blu-ray
"The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" is, for quite a few fans (including myself), the best book of the series. Considering the switching of studios from Disney to 20th Century Fox, expectations were a bit higher than for "Prince Caspian" in the hopes that the series would return to its roots. Unfortunately, the attempt to move a fantasy series with lots of underlying Christian elements into the secular community did not fare well, and "The Chronicles of Narnia: The Voyage of the Dawn Treader" is so far the worst addition to the film series.

To avoid rehashing what many other reviewers have already said about this film, I will simply say that the script chosen for it includes a lot of unnecessary elements that bog down what an incredible adventure story. Apparently, a mere adventure in search of the unknown is not exciting enough, so a plot involving seven magic swords and a sentient green mist was added, plus some battle sequences and side-plots that were not there in the first place. Much of the characters' development occurred in the previous films and novels, and "Dawn Treader" was originally the story of Eustace and, in a way, Reepicheep. The film also digs up a lot of unnecessary character elements, such as Edmund's continued issues with the White Witch when it was all taken care of long ago.

Story elements aside, the special effects are fantastic - the dragon looks almost real, with a nice emphasis on its bright blue eyes to communicate its thoughts and emotions, and the sea serpent (the battle against which was, in spite of not being in this form in the book, a highlight of the film) is terribly ugly and wonderfully worthy of destruction. Aslan continues to look better with each successive film, and now he looks as though he has real weight - a real creature in the same realm as the live-action characters. The minotaur, fauns, the mist, the water, and the Dark Island all look wonderful, and the high-definition Blu-ray transfer makes everything look crystal-clear and quite realistic.

Without a doubt, the film looks best on Blu-ray, without the diminished quality or clarity of DVD resolution. The Dawn Treader ship itself and the surrounding ocean, as well the vivid greens of Coriakin's Island, the treasure of Deathweater Island, and the bleached, tropical tones of the Lone Islands, all look best in high-definition video - a simply beautiful transfer that makes the film worth watching in spite of its failures.

For the three-disc edition, it is safe to say that the packaging and special features are sub-par. The Blu-ray disc is partially glued in to prevent it sliding out if the case is jostled, so be sure to clean this off before watching or you may experience a freeze somewhere in the film. The extras present on the disc are not really worth looking at - vignettes about the different islands and creatures, the standard fare of "making of" clips and at least one theatrical trailer - and seem to exist merely to take up more space on the disc. The DVD has no real special features to speak of other than a commentary and deleted scenes, though the scenes are worth watching for the sake of completionism. The packaging itself and the screens on the discs are very well done, and if handled properly will not cause much problem.

Overall, for the sake of clarity and full appreciation of the visual effects, the Blu-ray is well worth having, though a stripped-down single-disc version, if it existed, is preferable to the three-disc monster available now, though in spite of the presence of the Digital Copy disc, there is not much difference in price between the editions. For those with Blu-ray players or PlayStation 3 consoles, you would be best off buying the Blu-ray-only edition.
on September 9, 2011
Format: Blu-rayVerified Purchase
There is no tabs for the disks! They just throw the discs in the slots which allows them to rattle around during transit greatly increasing the odds your disks will arrive damaged. I can't believe amazon sold this product as it obviously flawed in every way when it comes to storing your media.
P.S. Amazon replaced item no questions asked so was taken care of just as you would expect amazon to do.