4.0 out of 5 stars Fun and empowering!
Published on April 13, 2010 by The Compulsive Reader

3.0 out of 5 stars Novel or self-help book?
Published on May 31, 2010 by Rachael Stein

3.0 out of 5 stars Novel or self-help book?, May 31, 2010
This review is from: The Cinderella Society (Hardcover)
Jess Parker thought her worst problems were avoiding Lexy Steele's bullying and finding a friend. But when she is inducted as a member of the Cinderella Society, she learns about real problems. Sure, a fabulous makeover is part of the package, but catching the eye of her popular crush also invites stress about the real nature of their relationship. Then there's the fact that Jess isn't quite sure how to fit in with her new more popular friends. To top that off, as a Cindy, Jess is now involved in a battle against the Wickeds, girls who target and bully others. How is Jess supposed to prevail against the Wickeds when she can see herself being defeated so easily?

I suppose The Cinderella Society is a cute idea, but the problem with it is that it's too simplistic. In addition, all the fairytale and various goddess metaphors are misleading or ill-used. The Cinderella Society is supposed to be a hub for girl power, but as I recall, Cinderella wasn't exactly the most self-empowered woman. The naming of their enemies, the Wickeds, is rather generic, and I thought it unrealistic that a group of girls, no matter how mean, would ever call themselves that. Furthermore, the Wickeds' parent organization was named for Athena just because she is the goddess of war. Cassidy seemed to forget that Athena is also the goddess for wisdom and weaving, which isn't quite consistent with the Wickeds' message. The actual story is not very engaging; it involves a lot of shopping, wanting to go shopping, and freaking out about boys. Sometimes I wasn't sure if The Cinderella Society was a novel or a self-help book with all the empowering advice it was pushing. I mean, there's nothing wrong with loving the skin you're in, but its placement in this story made the entire thing rather unrealistic.

The Cinderella Society may be enjoyed by fans of the It's All About Us series by Shelley Adina.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute title, cute idea, but not sure if it was a cute delivery, March 20, 2011
This review is from: The Cinderella Society (Hardcover)
The message behind The Cinderella Society is a positive one that should be shared with all girls. It encourages self-esteem, character, love for self and others, and hard work with a promise of a happily-ever-after (boyfriend not included). While the concept for The Cinderella Society is attractive and undeniably wonderful, the characters and story left me wanting. I thought there was too much emphasis in the details of the Cinderella Society and not enough time spent on interactions between the characters to move the story along. I hope that the sequel will flesh out Jess and the other characters since the stage has been set.

[...]

3.0 out of 5 stars Fairy Tale It Is Not., May 23, 2013
This review is from: The Cinderella Society (Hardcover)
High school was not just a place for learning. It was also the battleground for Good vs. Evil and Jess Parker found herself in the middle of it. After taking a coveted cheerleading spot, Jess became a target for bullying. However, her luck changed when she was recruited to join the Cinderella Society - a society that fights against the Wickeds (bullies). Can Jess juggle school, love, the Society and her job without losing her true self?

The first few chapters drew you in with the I'm-the-new-girl-and-the-social-outcast plot. You can't help but form an affinity with our heroine as she struggled to fit in. Then the excitement slowly died when Jess began her journey as part of the Cinderella Society. Probably around page 85. It was a struggle to get through all the verbiage! There was so much details to wade through that I had to control the urge to just skip pages. Don't get me wrong. I do appreciate the message of loving yourself and building confidence to keep bullies away. But to be constantly hit over the head with this message was just filler to make the novel unnecessarily longer. The premise of the story was actually interesting and fun to think about. But it was lost due to too much information and forced drama. As you continued on, waiting for the pivotal turning point, it didn't come. But on a good note, the ending was the definitely the high point.

Not exactly what I was expecting. Am I the only one who thought it was YA fairy tale? 'The Cinderella Society' turned out to be a self-help book with a story added to give its message credence. I'll be honest, half way through, I was tempted to just stop reading since I had no interest whatsoever to finish this book. However, I managed to presevere and I will say that I wish I haven't spent my money on this one. The ending was pretty good but to reach that point wasn't worth the effort. This is a hit or miss. Fellow fairy tale lovers, if you are looking for a new Cinderella varation, this is not it. If you are looking for a book with oodles of drama, a lackluster romance and a interesting secret club rolled into one, this might be for you. In conclusion, skip it.

2.0 out of 5 stars A little too simplistic, October 12, 2012
ink "-ink-" (Fairfax, VA USA) - See all my reviews
Obviously aimed for tweens, the story revolves around a new girl who is a cheerleader, falls for the quarterback and makes enemies with the mean girls. The whole premise of the book is kind of a mash between a makeover show ("What Not to Wear") and a sororiety club. Good girls vs bad girls? It's just too clean cut. And the whole idea that the Cinderella Society is super ultra powerful and is being backed up by powerful women all over the world, but still manages to be secret? A hidden clubhouse and a secret underground bunker? Sounds really really silly. Maybe it's good read for a tween girl still learning to fit into herself, but other then that - Forget about it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun and empowering!, April 13, 2010
This review is from: The Cinderella Society (Hardcover)
Jess Parker is a go-get-em type of person. She's always around to volunteer her time to worthy causes and charities, but when it comes to her social life, she flies under the radar. Her family is constantly moving, so she never really makes any friends. And when her family moves to her mom's hometown, Mt. Sterling, her social status plunges even farther due to Jess taking the meanest and one of the most popular girl's spots on the cheerleading team.

Bullied and miserable, Jess never expects an invite from one of the most exclusive secret societies, The Cinderella Society. But before she knows it, her fairy godmother of a cheerleading captain has transformed her from shabby to chic, and she's learning how to lead a more positive life. But it won't be easy--the Wickeds (including her archenemy) aren't about to let the Cindys win, nor are they above using regular, innocent people to do it.

Kay Cassidy's The Cinderella Society is a divine, delightful read that's just as much about empowering yourself and sticking up for what's right as it is about the romance and fun stuff. What makes this book so fun is the Cinderella Society, a secret group that is surprisingly extensive and super secretive, which is an element that will certainly attract readers who are also fans of Ally Carter's Gallagher Girl's series. Cassidy also populates her book with realistic, down to earth characters, many who are popular and nice, and genuinely care about doing the right thing, not the latest designer item or the juiciest bit of gossip. These positive role models are a breath of fresh air, a relief from the numerous catty and snarky popular girls that tend to be popular in YA.

The message in this book is also genuine. Cassidy doesn't have any skewed perceptions of perfection, or tell readers you have to change yourself in order to be a better person; instead she focuses on showing readers that by being yourself and discovering who you want to be, you can become the best that you can be. Full of fun secrets and some surprising twists, The Cinderella Society is a novel about choices and their affects and about being positive and true.

Cover Comments: The cover is fun and pink and flirty, and it fits the title well, but not so much the book. Still, it is one that will stand out, and it works!

4.0 out of 5 stars Sweet and delectable --I want more!!, June 29, 2014
Brought to you by OBS reviewer Valerie

In one sentence: This debut is a sweet, delectable read that makes me want to read the next book in the series.

I picked this one up at the library yesterday after I spotted the Cinderella in the title. I just really wanted a chick-lit style novel to accompany my dystopians. Of course, I chose to read The Cinderella Society before all the others. Chick-lit power! (And then I finished it immediately when I woke up the next day).

This book is empowering. It’s for all the girls who feel like a loser or a fake. It’s a novel that will make you realize that you ARE special and unique and pretty and amazing. In fact, in the author page, the book specifically says that. From the back flap:

“She hopes that The Cinderella Society, her first novel, will inspire readers to embrace their inner Cindy. “

Way to go, Kay Cassidy!

I don’t like the sappiness of this book, but it’s a given for basically all chick-lit novels. There’s quite a bit of cheesiness that can be accepted, and there’s also way too many assumptions about high school cliques. Other than that, everything else is like a cupcake. Sweet, delicious, memorable.

While I didn’t like the love interest that much, I do agree that he is okay. I personally liked the idea of Jess being single, but I guess that’s not an option with chick-lit.

Although not my taste, The Cinderella Society has many redeeming qualities that make it a fun, sweet read for any day. It’s also a nice pick-me-up when you need to smile.

5.0 out of 5 stars Unexpected surprise, June 12, 2014
This review is from: The Cinderella Society (Paperback)
Jess Parker is just a sixteen year old girl. She doesn't have any friends since her archenemy makes everyone at her school hate her for something she didn't even do. But then she gets a once in a lifetime chance: the chance to join the Cinderella Society, a secret club with members that are some of the most popular girls in her school. She's even more excited when she finds out makeovers are one of the first deals of business.

But then the Wickeds, who just happen to be led by Jess' archenemy, start targeting innocent girls at their high school. Jess is finding herself apart of a centuries old battle between good and evil. The Cindys need Jess on a special assignment... but are the Cindys worth destroying the life she always thought she had?

I loved this book. Cassidy created a very original book with a whole new world. At first, you're wondering where the book is going to. Jess seems like just a normal girl with nothing going on until she gets the invitation.

After Jess gets the invitation and gets into the Cindys, however, it's almost like you're on information overload. If I could change one thing about this book, I would make it a little more clear. There were a few parts I had to read through two or three times before I understood what was going on, because there's just so much going on.

Jess is a very relatable character. Many of the decisions Jess made, I would've made myself. I could see where she was coming from on a lot of things. I could see her being a teenager that went to my school, she was just that realistic.

Overall, Cassidy has created a wonderful, different novel. I'm anxiously awaiting the sequel which is coming out in spring of next year... which is too far away! Grade: A.

1.0 out of 5 stars I'm sorry, this book is terrible :(, September 10, 2012
Kala (Ft Lauderdale, FL United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Cinderella Society (Hardcover)
I found this at the library and the cover was cute, so I decided to give it a try. I liked it at first, but once you get into the meat of the story it really falls apart. The world building is so beyond silly and I just became lost and confused as to what the message of this story was. I think Cassidy just tried to put way too many things into this book and it spins out of control.

Jess is the "new girl" who happens to be an awesome cheerleader. She is so good that she displaces resident mean girl, Lexy, from the cheer team. Because of this, she becomes the outsider freak despite being on the cheer squad.

Then she gets chosen as one of seven to be inducted into The Cinderella Society that year. I thought this was cute at first - a group of girls focused on doing good things for the world. But it eventually became so convoluted and weird.

Apparently the "Cindys" have a rival group called "The Wickeds" (yes, really). That's the name of their group. They induct seven girls a year into their group also, and they apparently have a goal of doing bad things. Or something. I don't really know.

So the Cindys and the Wickeds do "battle" often. Jess must get a Cindy makeover and read through a training manual in order to win her battles against the Wickeds. The makeover takes many chapters and is a huge part of this book. Apparently we don't want to send the message that it's okay to be yourself - we must all get makeovers and we can't be awesome until we develop our "signature style!"

The "battles" that are fought are basically just mean girl confrontations. A Wicked will come be snarky and the Cindys have to "win" the battle by being super nice and awesome.

It's so bad!

What's even MORE stupid is that this Cinderella Society is apparently a NATIONAL organization. Full of top supermodels, athletes, actresses, and other assorted famous people. They all do good deeds and fight Wickeds!

Seriously. I have no idea what evil things the Wickeds actually do, other than be mean girls. Is this really something that's so important we need a national organization (complete with a spy pad underneath the mountain and secret rooms behind coffee shops!) to deal with it?

And even MORE stupid... even though Jess shows no special skills she is chosen to LEAD this organization. I'm not sure what she needs to lead them to, but she is the leader now! She can fight the major battles like ... snubbing Lexy!

Oh, and there is also a love story going on between Jess and Lexy's brother, Ryan. Ryan is a "Charming" but he hangs out with the "Villains." Yes, these are actual groups of people and that's the actual name for these groups. That everyone knows! Except the "Reggies" (who are us normal folks).

I thought at first that this was going to have some paranormal aspect to it. The induction into The Cinderella Society was very wicca-ish and witchy. There were also some other hints that they might have magical powers. But nothing ever happens there.

This book is one convoluted mess and I don't think I even managed to sort it out in my head yet, let alone in this review. Terribad!

5.0 out of 5 stars Full of girl power and whimsy...., April 28, 2010
This review is from: The Cinderella Society (Hardcover)
Jess Parker has always been an outsider, that is until she gets the invitation of a lifetime to The Cinderella Society, which is a secret society of the most popular girls in school. The Cindy's world is full of makeovers and looking for Prince Charming. The Wicked begin targeting innocent girls as a war against the Cindys. Being a Cindy has more to do then reinventing themselves on the outside. She is now in a century battle of good v.s. evil. Jess is needed for a mission and wonders if maybe they have the wrong girl.
Also, the main character Jess makes some mistake and is unsure about herself, which made her more of a teen. I loved how sweet she was and really cared about people. The characters were all amazing and I could relate to each of them in some aspect. The plot of this book was just basic good vs evil in the real world and I loved it. I am also a huge fans of secret societies, so this book was full of win. I loved how empowering this book was. Each page, I felt like I was being encouraged to be a better person. It is more oriented for girls though, which is why I liked it a lot. It was a rather original book and I love that is had more then a lot of the contemporary romance that I read. Cassidy is an amazing writer and I can't wait for the next book Cindy on a Mission to come out. I would recommend this book, to fans of Sarah Dessen and Deb Caletti.

4.0 out of 5 stars The power of standing up to bullies, June 30, 2012
This review is from: The Cinderella Society (Paperback)
The Cinderella Society. Doesn't that title make you think of glitz and glam and the mall? (Or Midnight Ball?)

Well, Cinderella Society had a lot more going for it then all that. (Although there were fun fashion scenes. And the mall.) This novel is also about "Girl Power", as Becca Fitzpatricks states on the front cover, or the ability to stand up for yourself or others. While still being fun and humorous, Cinderella Society sends a good message. And it is nice to think that there is a "Cinderella Society" out there that will stick up for you when you need it.

Cindys: Members of the Cinderella or Isis society. Girls who work at protecting themselves and the reggies from the Wickeds. They are all about confidence.

Wickeds: Girls keen on bullying the reggies to do whatever the Wickeds want.

Reggies: People who know nothing about either society. They are vulnerable to Wickeds.

Another enjoyable aspect of this book is how girly it is, even though the novel is about other, more serious, topics. There are fun scenes where Jess goes to the hair dresser and mall with her fellow Cindys. Also, there is a lot of talk about boyfriends or "Charmings". The romance in The Cinderella Socirty is very sweet.

The character development is great, especially for Jess. She goes from being a bully's victim to being a terrific girl who stands up for people outside the societies of Cindys or Wickeds. Jess is also a great role model, unlike some main characters in other books I've read. She volunteers all the time at places like the Humane Society.

Get this book, especially if you want a girly, solid novel with good messages.

Content: Kissing and some sexual comments. Interest Level: ages 12 up.

I also learned some good mottos from this book. Like: "When something embarrasing happens to you, take 5 deep breath and ask yourself the 'Five' questions: Will this matter in 5 hours? Will this matter in 5 weeks? Will this matter in 5 years?"

"Everybody has a little of both Wicked and Cindy in them."

The Cinderella Society
The Cinderella Society by Kay Cassidy (Hardcover - April 13, 2010)
Used & New from: $0.01