5.0 out of 5 stars Great read for kids!
This book is a great adaptation of the adult version. Beautiful pictures that will capture your child's attention. Highly recommended!
Published 14 months ago by Hazel C. Garrett

3.0 out of 5 stars Not an actual Bible story...
Mark Batterson serves as lead pastor of National Community Church in Washington, D.C. (one of the Most Innovative and Most Influential Churches in America by Outreach Magazine in 2008.) Batterson is also an author and has written several books.

Published 11 months ago by David Kenney

3.0 out of 5 stars Not an actual Bible story..., December 12, 2013
This review is from: The Circle Maker for Kids: One Prayer Can Change Everything (Hardcover)

The tale of Honi the Circle Drawer, is about a first-century man who lived during a great drought in Jewish history. Honi was more of an "activist" than he was a "miracle worker" in that he drew a circle in the dust, stood inside it, and informed God that he would not move until it rained. (thus putting God to the test).

Tradition says that when it started to rain, Honi told God that he was not satisfied and expected more. Through the "tale" Honi proceeds to go back and forth with his prayer until the rain is "to his liking." (Babylonian Talmud, Ta’anit 23a).

Tradition also says that Honi was excommunicated for his actions - because the Rabbi's believed that his "ordering of God" and his "stunt" was dishonorable to God. There are others who believe that God and Honi had a "special relationship" and that therefore Honi was "allowed" to be so brazen with his creator.

Either way, this is not a "biblical story" more so than it is Jewish folklore. I don't know how we could "prove" this incident took place, it more than likely did - but I don't know how I feel about this being the subject of a kids book.

I know Mark wrote a book about this same subject for adults - and I think adults can better process this story. And it is a wonderful example of the power of prayer. But I think if kids see the story and the pictures they might assume it's a story from the Bible.

The story is wonderful and the pictures are beautiful - I would certainly recommend this book for a Jewish home - or for kids who can understand that this is not an actual bible story.

Thank you to Zondervan for an advanced copy of this book to review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read for kids!, September 16, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Sweet and powerful help in praying for children, September 4, 2013
I have loved all of the Circle Maker books. A great faith builder and filled with practical ideas. I have applied many of his ideas.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book!, October 11, 2013
Love all the circle maker books and enjoy reading this to my little one. I buy this book as a gift for every baby shower I attend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent!, October 6, 2013
We are really enjoying learning why everyone has been talking about this series! Now we know and are sharing our thoughts.

5.0 out of 5 stars Circle Maker, June 9, 2014
An excellent story which illustrates that an action, such as a prayer, by one person can change circumstances for many.
Lovely illustrations. I will read this book to the children at the Christian elementary school where my grandchildren attend.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great keepsake book for your kids, June 28, 2014
Loved it! I will always keep this book as a keepsake for my kids. I read it and explained the story and they understood. It gives your kids a personal touch to add to their prayer life.

5.0 out of 5 stars love, April 24, 2014
Just a great story to read our kids and teach our children the power of prayer. We also have the adult version that is amazing to read as well

5.0 out of 5 stars Great read for your kids!, January 2, 2014
Beautiful pictures. Great way to teach your kids about Gods loving care and that He always heard them. I recommend it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous Theology in a Pretty Wrapper, January 28, 2014
My kids received a copy of this book from a well-meaning family member. I hadn't heard of it and didn't think too much of it. Our policy has generally been that the more books in our home, the better. After this one had been hanging around for a while, I decided to give it a read for myself and see what it's about.

That plot line runs something like this...

There has been no rain for a long time. The people need rain for their crops and animals. Food is getting scarce. They need a miracle. Someone remembers there is an old man who used to get his prayers answered regularly. So they found him and consulted him.

Honi, the old mystic let them know that the key to getting prayers answered was to draw a circle in the dirt on the ground, enter that circle, and stay in that circle praying until God answered the prayer.

He did this and asked for rain. The rain came. When it was not enough rain, he asked for more rain. More rain came. When that was too much, he asked for a gentle rain, and then there was a gentle rain.

So, Honi gave the people a sort of equation for how they could get God to give them what they wanted. It looks like this:

Draw a circle + Keep praying inside that circle = Answered prayers

The problem? That's not what God teaches in the Bible. If you're not a Christian, and have no concern for the Bible, then you won't really care about this point. However, if you accept the Bible as the authoritative word of God, then you should have issues with this book.

The Bible teaches us that God is Sovereign - that he has dominion and authority over all things at all times and all places.

The Circle Maker teaches us that we can unlock a secret code by which we can have God do what we ask. At that point God must submit to us and acquiesce because we used the correct code. In doing so, we get to have authority over God and get what we want, regardless of what God wants. This is the biggest problem with this sort of health, wealth, and prosperity teaching. It teaches people that they can be in authority over God, which is of course, the oldest of all temptations.

So, don't get in a circle and ask God for things he doesn't want you to have. Get in the Bible and learn what type of man or woman he wants you to be and start being that. Live out of the overflow of the love he has shown you. As you do that, your desires will become much more like his desires and it won't matter if you're praying in a circle or a square or anything else.

Teach your children the authority of scripture. Teach them to love God. Don't teach them they can have what they want from God if they draw a circle and pray.

The Circle Maker for Kids: One Prayer Can Change Everything
The Circle Maker for Kids: One Prayer Can Change Everything by Mark Batterson (Hardcover - August 10, 2013)
$15.99 $10.84